Intel to Finally Provide TRIM Support in RAID0

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Will trim support be only on RAID0. Wonder if they will support trim on RAID1?

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
This is excellent news, but I have to ask, is this a chipset update? Or is this just a driver update? Or maybe even a bios update for older chipsets? Will my old p55 board be able to enable this feature?

This is waaaay overdue.

I was under the impression that most 3rd gen SSDs are in fact capable of RAID 0 already. I bought an Intel X25M 80GB, and I know that doesn't support it, but it seems to me that the Sandforce SSDs are already able to do it...? Am I off my rocker?

Also, in case people are unaware, you can run your drives as RAID via BIOS, with a RAID HDD setup and a single SSD. That's what I've been doing. Just need RST installed.

With black friday coming up I might have to opt in on a bigger SSD this year... hmm...

Intel RST is a driver, and also a program that runs in your windows tray. Just download and install.

tecmo34

Administrator
[citation][nom]wolfram23[/nom]I was under the impression that most 3rd gen SSDs are in fact capable of RAID 0 already. I bought an Intel X25M 80GB, and I know that doesn't support it, but it seems to me that the Sandforce SSDs are already able to do it...? Am I off my rocker?[/citation]You can run a SSD in RAID0 but you do lose TRIM support. 3rd gen SSDs have better GC (garbage collection), which do a manage the same aspects as TRIM better (though TRIM still makes GC more efficient) than 1st gen SSDs did.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

So, if I set my drives to IDE, rather than AHCI, set up my raid 0 configuration, and install the latest RST drivers (when they're released,) TRiM should be enabled by default?

The problem I have with intel drivers, and windows, is that it's so damn hard to verify whether or not particular features are running on your hardware -.-

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
It would be interesting to compare the difference of a SSD running by itself, versus 2 setup in Raid0. Wonder what the difference in performance would be.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]This is excellent news, but I have to ask, is this a chipset update? Or is this just a driver update? Or maybe even a bios update for older chipsets? Will my old p55 board be able to enable this feature?This is waaaay overdue.[/citation]

Most likely just a driver update thats needed, the trim itself have been available for quite some time in the ssd's firmware. Cheers to Intel for finally making the raid driver trim enabled.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]BLACKSCI[/nom]It would be interesting to compare the difference of a SSD running by itself, versus 2 setup in Raid0. Wonder what the difference in performance would be.[/citation]

In real world performance it helps for sure but not near as much as synthetic benchmarks would suggest. Running 4x ssd in raid0 atm.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]So, does this driver let an Intel X25-m G2 SSD be able to accept the TRIM command when in RAID 0?[/citation]

Ït should as long as the driver have the necessary firmware to support it on a drive level.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]So, if I set my drives to IDE, rather than AHCI, set up my raid 0 configuration, and install the latest RST drivers (when they're released,) TRiM should be enabled by default?The problem I have with intel drivers, and windows, is that it's so damn hard to verify whether or not particular features are running on your hardware -.-[/citation]

You set your drives to RAID, not IDE or AHCI. I think the AHCI driver and RAID drivers are similar, with RAID allowing multiple drive setups.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]You set your drives to RAID, not IDE or AHCI. I think the AHCI driver and RAID drivers are similar, with RAID allowing multiple drive setups.[/citation]

Ah yep, this is what I meant to say, silly me.. Odd that this has always been a software/driver issue, rather than a hardware issue though, not that I'm complaining, this is great news! Now I can finally revert back to a RAID set-up without worrying about degrading performance over time :D

swiftc28

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Some of you didn't read the attachment... it's not just a driver update. (4. The RAID OROM version for this release is 11.5.0.1111, the driver and user interface version is 11.5.0.1109.) So your motherboard manufacture is going to have to do an update. Most of the newer boards will be fine. I do know that my x-58 is going to require a update as it's running 10.5 on the raid orom.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hopefully this fixes TRIM for the OCZ Revodrive 3 x2's. The card supports Trim but for some reason it gets dropped when destined for the raid controller. It was said to be a Windows problem but if this update works then I guess that would prove that the issue was related to chipset drivers.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]TRIM should be implemented at the OS level...blame Microsoft for this one[/citation]

You do know that trim is sent from the OS to the driver right? Single drivers are entierly trimed through the OS since the OS default driver supports it. The issue here have been that the Raid drivers from manfacturers of the raid hardware haven't supported it. Yeah do blame Microsoft for putting it in the OS like it is in Win7 for instance.

So please if you want to play the blame game - Atleast do it properly!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Hopefully this fixes TRIM for the OCZ Revodrive 3 x2's. The card supports Trim but for some reason it gets dropped when destined for the raid controller. It was said to be a Windows problem but if this update works then I guess that would prove that the issue was related to chipset drivers.[/citation]

Windows 7 does not support TRIM through the SCSI miniport ocz choosed at the moment, only AHCI but thats about all the ssd drivers with the exception of the Revo 3 x2's (thoose have very good garbage collection so the impact from lack of trim is low anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.