Intel to Invest $7 Billion in U.S. Facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

zibby

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Obama got them covered with stimulus package. Bringing jobs back here does not make financial sense for large corporations. Why pay 4 times more for salary when there is someone outside US that will do better job for less money, unless Uncle Sam (read Obama) will sponsor your expenses.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
But even through Intel is investing a huge chunk of money, is now the right time as the economy continues to spiral downward?

I would say yes. As much as I like AMD since they have the capital to weather this recession they can still invest in research and ventures like this so that when things get better they will have an even larger foothold.

The company I work for is the same way. We're a market leader in every category, have a ton of capital and no debt and we're still growing and researching and not really cutting back other than backing down on production to adjust for demand. Personally I think it's smart.

I do find it odd that they would bring production over to the US, though research has traditionally done here. Even so they can hire in cheap right now so it does help with cost.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Being afraid of the "economy" is a poor reason to make a decision on. If YOUR economy is ok (if you have enough emergency cash and little to no debt) then you have nothing to be worried about. People being afraid of a nebulous thing called the economy, which is somewhere else with other people, is the reason the economy goes up and down so wildly! We ARE the economy. It's up to the people to fix the economy. How would that happen if everyone were too afraid to do business anymore?

This is the ONLY way to recover. lay offs actually make the situation worse as it effects all businesses(Company A lays off 1000 works company B gets less business and lays off 400 workers, company C gets less business and lays off workers. Next thing you know half the world can not find work and is on welfare or unemployment insurance). More jobs = more money spent = more jobs = better for all.

Go Intel!!!!

G

Right on Intel...if you can afford it right now is a great time to do this. They'll cut back on production but keep plugging away at research...and when the recession ends they'll be right in the front to offer new products and have the capacity to meet a growing demand. Not to mention they'll benefit from being able to build these facilities cheaper in the recession.

Kudos for keeping the money in the States too!!!

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i would imagine there will be some perks for doing this but i applaud them for not falling into the recession stigma and waiting to invest.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I would say yes. As much as I like AMD since they have the capital to weather this recession they can still invest in research and ventures like this so that when things get better they will have an even larger foothold.The company I work for is the same way. We're a market leader in every category, have a ton of capital and no debt and we're still growing and researching and not really cutting back other than backing down on production to adjust for demand. Personally I think it's smart.I do find it odd that they would bring production over to the US, though research has traditionally done here. Even so they can hire in cheap right now so it does help with cost.[/citation]
Exxon Mobile?

belter

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I worked for Intel in the 90's. They really are a well managed company. They work you hard, but bring out the best in people. You go Intel!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Intel = America
AMD = Middle East?

With foreign investments into AMD and the sale of their fabs, is it better for America if Intel prospers? It might be bad for computer tech consumers...but good for America as a whole.

sniblingloof

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]belter[/nom]I worked for Intel in the 90's. They really are a well managed company. They work you hard, but bring out the best in people. You go Intel![/citation]

the 90s were the golden age for intel employees. nowadays, the story is quite different. we are just numbers to management, numbers to cut or retain. a lot of good, hard working, intelligent people were lost to attrition and morale is definitely down, especially for those on the floor making those chips. hopefully this $7B is invested back into Intel's greatest assets: the workers, who actually care to put out the best products out there (nothing against AMD, I'm sure they have a lot of the same dedicated workers in their organization).

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Exxon Mobile?[/citation]
Nice.
No it's a tech company (not one Tom reports on too often), but I'd rather not say the name or the field. Rather keep my personal and online life apart from business.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
It's good business sense. Right now construction labor and supplies are cheap. If Intel has the funds to build now is the very best time, they'll get the most bang for the buck.

They also get the good press they are getting with these new jobs which is golden. In a regular economy this wouldn't be much of a news item, but now Itel has the limelight as a successful business expanding and creating jobs. Investors will take notice.

What a smart decision on their part. Genius. I wouldn't be surprised to see other large companies follow suit and try for some of that "positive press". Best of Breed is what you call Intel.

[citation][nom]chris312[/nom]Being afraid of the "economy" is a poor reason to make a decision on. If YOUR economy is ok (if you have enough emergency cash and little to no debt) then you have nothing to be worried about. People being afraid of a nebulous thing called the economy, which is somewhere else with other people, is the reason the economy goes up and down so wildly! We ARE the economy. It's up to the people to fix the economy. How would that happen if everyone were too afraid to do business anymore?[/citation]

You sounded like my geography professor there! :D

belter

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]sniblingloof[/nom]the 90s were the golden age for intel employees. nowadays, the story is quite different. we are just numbers to management
, numbers to cut or retain. a lot of good, hard working, intelligent people were lost to attrition and morale is definitely down, especially for those on the floor making those chips. hopefully this $7B is invested back into Intel's greatest assets: the workers, who actually care to put out the best products out there (nothing against AMD, I'm sure they have a lot of the same dedicated workers in their organization).[/citation]
I think that is the way it is at most companies today...it is tough. Intel was a pressure cooker then, competitive, confrontational, but it motivated people to do amazing things. Most former employees appreciate the company more after they moved on than when they were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.