Intel To Launch Three Nehalem-based Processors By The End Of Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So there's going to be a socket switch for Nehalem (I haven't been following such things)? I just bought my board a couple months ago and now its going to be out of date by the end of the year. Such is life in the computer realm I guess. Maybe they'll be backwards compatible with the current socket.

hannibal

Distinguished
These are server versions. Mainstream is coming 2Q09... This information is allso from Digitimes.
And yeah these server versions are not gonna be cheap, but they have three channel memory!

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, this is going to be an enterprise server/workstation platform in the beginning so expecting a price anywhere near mainstream is crazy. :)

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
There won't and can't be any backwards compatibility... the new Nehalems will have an integrated memory controller. That means there won't be one in the chipset (Northbridge) which means current CPUs wouldn't have access to a memory controller... even if current CPUs could fit in the new socket, which is highly unlikely.

Personally, I wish they would finish the job and integrated the entire northbridge and southbridge into the cpu package. Dole out features, speed, and efficiency in a single package and adjust prices accordingly. If they could make a common standard then they wouldn't need separate Intel/AMD/VIA motherboards... people could just buy the ones that provide the features they want, 2 PCIe x16 slots... a firewire port... 6 USB ports... integrated audio and LAN... better VRMs and cooling and more phases for overclocking...

I could go on and on. Wish I could get paid for my thoughts :)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Didn't realize this was a server product. Well at least if the desktop chips aren't out until mid next year I don't feel too screwed. Also, I actually don't mind a socket change at all if it means an integrated memory controller, it should have been added years ago.

@sublifer

I'm not sure that I like the idea of one company (or 2 if AMD did the same) having complete control over the features that my motherboard will have. The way it is now there are many MB manufacturers and competition like that is good. It spurs innovation and price reductions.

G

Bloomfield is not a server product, it is a high-end desktop product.

Full chart of nehalem products available at wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Do you even realize how many pins would the processor need to have?![/citation]

Not to mention that you're putting all of the hot components into one package. The cooling needed would be crazy, or clock speed would take a big hit.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Do you even realize how many pins would the processor need to have?![/citation]
LGA 4K. Yay! Massive heat and expense! My P35 chip gets hot enough, I can't imagine what a 'nforce 890i' chip and a 3.2+Ghz quad core would generate heat-wise. You could cook a steak on one :)

I heard somewhere (well, here) that Nehalem would be non-overclockable, except for the extremely high end ones. Thats disappointing if it's true. Good thing I've never really relied on overclocking performance to effect my buy. That right there might give AMD a slight advantage.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
lol 1366 pins on the socket?? thats like nearly double the current amount....DEFINITELY a server edition guys... theres relaly no reason for them to change the socket type, as if you will remember, there were like 2.0GHz pentium 4's running on the same socket as $1500 core 2 extremes.... somehow i dont think the amount of pins matters...

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah as i said ti doesnt matter how many pins there are.... like 10GHz difference (effective cause its quad core...sort of ... well not relaly but yeah) between a p4 and a C2 extreme and NO PIN CHANGES!!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
@gm0n3y

More than likely it would be the same mb manufacturers making the boards, not Intel or AMD. With a universal pin-out for processing and controller features it would probably open the door for MANY more companies to develop processors. Right now AMD controls its CPU package and Intel controls theirs, in order for a new company to come out they would either have to license from them (fat chance of that) or compete with a brand new platform against the entrenched standards not to mention all the R&D that would go into developing a new platform.

As for pin count on this idea, it might not increase by much since a lot of the work would be done internal to the chip. Otherwise, communication on the motherboard could be made more serialized (means less pins needed)

As for the potential heat, again, not likely an issue, cores would be separated by controllers and paths of various sorts which could increase the total cooling area. These controllers would also benefit more from the better cooling solutions placed over CPUs.

One idea to reduce the package foot print on the board AND increase cooling area is to make the chip cylindrical. Cooling could wrap around it and clamp down like hose clamps.

Did I mention I wish I could get paid for my ideas?

Bullrun

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
@V3Nom

I am completely agree,the amount of pins counts for nothing. Im sure even the Nehalem could be build fuer S478 or even earlier. S478 has several dozens of grounded pins or and a lot of complete dead Pins just to fill the ranks .My S478 Pentium 4 was only S475 in the end and still runs fine.Lost 3 Pins unnoticed through mounting/dismounting in a lot of Boards.
10 years ago you had to buy a new board for a new CPU , everytime . S775 is a real oldie ,i runned 3 CPU in this socket... high time for a change ,especially for nehalem. No FSB-based anymore its entirely incompatible to anything else and everybody _must_ have one .Read something about S775 Nehalems in this thread, thats not gonna happen.Quicklink CPU`s doesnt run in FSB Mainboards.Between Nehalem and C2D is a entire Generation Change. Board and CPU are not interchangeable from any side to any side, no Up-or Downgrade whatsoever.Existing DDR3 RAM maybe still works,if you had a DDR3 system.
Bottom line is this: I see no reason for even one additional Pin for Nehalem,except for propaganda and simple math.Double the pins , double the speed...right? I would say Nehalem have Ground Pins a couple of Hundred and at least the same amount of blanks not even connected . Just to make the pin array look like a perfect square:)
S775 was in Comparison a really long time at the top, i am grateful not to be forced to change the MB every quarter ,everytime a new cpu shows up.

Not so long ago a 486er from either AMD or Intel fitted in the same Socket! Called Socket7 and works fine. But way to user friendly,and not enough boards were sold.Today you have to change the board for sure when the new CPU comes from a different manufacturer.Even if you stick with your company you have to replace the board often enough.Just glad they had ATX as common ground:)

G

Bloomfield is indeed the desktop chips, and Gainstown (the DP version) may or may not (seems likely at this point) run on the same socket.

The extra pins connect to the northbridge part of the chip, the second included QPI bus, and the 3rd memory bus.
With 240 pins each, the 3 memory lanes consume 720 pins alone. Remember, those pins used to connect to the NB, not the CPU socket.

At this point Im planning on getting the mainstream L3 (top level mainstream chip, the 2.66Ghz) bloomfield within a month of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.