Intel to Sell Ivy Bridge Late in Q4 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Good to see they put Gruener to do some PC hardware news instead... I bet he's really pissed off writing about actual useful tech instead of toys :kaola: Too bad we won't see Ivy Bridge till spring 2012, it would be a real kick in the a$$ for AMD to have IB released right after BD fail.

No point to upgrade until there's something more demanding, so my i7-2600 will do good in gaming for a while more; but I'll be sure to use Ivy Bridge in all the 2012 builds I'll be asked to do!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I was going to build a Sandy Bridge based system at tax time, but I guess I'll be going with Ivy Bridge instead, unless the price is prohibitive in comparison. Still going to feel weird. I havent had an Intel based CPU since my old 1.5Ghz Pentium 4.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]YES!!! THANK YOU!!! I CAN FINALLY BUILD MY FIRST GAMING/3D RENDERING PC NEXT YEAR!!![/citation]
Fixed.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]Fixed.[/citation]
Thanks, I just realized that after looking at the article again. Oh well, at least they were qualified to sell Ivy ASAP.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]billions and billions and billions of dollars in revenue. How about a price reduction!!![/citation]
Revenue is different than profit.

A company could have $500 Trillion in revenue, but only make $1 billion profit(actual income).

Not saying that Intel's profit is something to sneeze at though. ;)

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
It sucks for AMD and may hurt the consumer in the long run, that as soon as BD came out AMD fell further behind Intel.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I don't care what anybody says, I'm going to be getting a 3930k SB-E instead of waiting for IB. I may even drop in an IB-E CPU later on down the line :)

MAC_HATER

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
awesome - i should have my budget for a machine rebuild sorted about then - should be a good jump going from a 1st gen Core2Quad to Ivy bridge :D

G

Me want!!! This isn't just a tok either. Video encoding is improved, it will also take the faster DDRIII memory now (validated), and of course the GPU improvements. Not to mention it will use a lot less power. I wish it were out tomorrow. I'll have to wait months now to build the system I want. :(

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
so i'm officially going to switch from AMD to intel. bulldozer is a bit of a flop and now ivy bridge is coming out in a few months - just in time for me to build my new system.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Everyone's saying how BD was a flop, but think about the prices that Ivy Bridge *could* sell for now that there's no competition. It could potentially be higher, since Intel now has no incentive to lower prices as it's not actually competing with anybody - not at least until AMD comes up with something better.

This news made my day until I realized that the release is still for spring 2012. This is not news, this is just rehashing what we already knew, and then made it sound like we were going to get IB for Christmas (which would be awesome!). Give us a release date, or more specific specs and SKUs. The real news should be around SB-E and Bull, and which is better for high end tasks.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Still waiting for a reason to upgrade from my 2 and a half year old X58 system lol.

When it comes to gaming, there still isn't anything out that even comes close to testing a 3.6 - 3.8ghz or higher OCed 1366 chip. And I got mine Oced at 4.3ghz lol.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
yep, we all know what monopolies do to the market. Just look at microsoft, they don't have competition on the software for the PC market, and the win7 retail costs 200 dollars. apple *could* compete with its mac os x, but they don't want to, because they run a monopoly too, the hardware monopoly. Apple has the mac monopoly, and if you want to run mac os x, you have to buy a mac, which is nothing but an overpriced resold computer. So just imagine 10 years from now, with Intel as the only processor seller, why would they buy their processors cheap? They would rise their prices to get the best profit-per-unit-sold/numbers-of-units-sold, just like microsoft and apple do.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Apple is a hardware monopoly? LOL, what a joke! They don't make ANY hardware themselves. Also, you can run Mac OS on many non-Macs - it's called a Hackintosh.

To answer you and the comment above:

Intel WILL have to make IB competitive. Why? Sandy Bridge, of course! So far i5-2500K is tearing every game apart once paired with a good GPU. Unless Ivy Bridge will offer significant improvement for money, people will stay on or buy SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.