Intel to Show Off Next-gen Atom at IDF in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Designing a New Generation of Netbooks with the Intel Atom Processor Based Platform"

That new design means: No Flash, No 3D rendering and crappy CPU capabilities.

Unless they pack it in like 12W (the full system) it's gonna suck.

Cheers!

G

So, a waste of money and development efforts. They already have great architectures that could be scaled down while maintaining a good IPC. Just take I5, drop some cache and make things as leak proof as possible. A "i5" type arch with hyperthreading even at 800mhz would eat any current Atom for lunch. Hell, my old 1.7ghz P4 would knock the Atoms at any kind of intensive single threaded tasks like Flash acceleration.....

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Anand Chandrasekher Senior VP and General Manager of the Ultra Mobility Group just left the company. Perhaps because of Intel's lack of win in the market?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
People keep forgetting that Atom isn't just about low power, it's about low cost as well. It's extremely small, and thus inexpensive.

Not everyone lives in the United States, and in very poor countries, the money they can save using this platform can make the difference between between having a computer and not having a computer. And having an Atom, especially a dual core, means being able to do all of what over 95% of the people use a computer for.

Compared to not having a computer at all, the difference between an Atom and a Sandy Bridge is nothing.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]People keep forgetting that Atom isn't just about low power, it's about low cost as well. It's extremely small, and thus inexpensive. Not everyone lives in the United States, and in very poor countries, the money they can save using this platform can make the difference between between having a computer and not having a computer. And having an Atom, especially a dual core, means being able to do all of what over 95% of the people use a computer for.Compared to not having a computer at all, the difference between an Atom and a Sandy Bridge is nothing.[/citation]

""Designing a New Generation of Netbooks with the Intel Atom Processor Based Platform" will will cover the following topics:"

Wtf, is there an echo in here I am missing missing? :)

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@TA152H

You're spot on. Further, these types of chips will be used in TVs, Cars, Appliances, etc.

I imagine a low power server farm could benefit from such architecture as well.

[citation][nom]buckiller[/nom]Anand Chandrasekher Senior VP and General Manager of the Ultra Mobility Group just left the company. Perhaps because of Intel's lack of win in the market?[/citation]

And yet how many Netbooks can you buy that don't have Atom?

Atom created the Netbook market.

My guess would be, much like Ivy Bridge thats being shown off in May, it will be based on Intels 22nm process. If so, it will kill anything on a performance/power scale.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]And yet how many Netbooks can you buy that don't have Atom?Atom created the Netbook market. My guess would be, much like Ivy Bridge thats being shown off in May, it will be based on Intels 22nm process. If so, it will kill anything on a performance/power scale.[/citation]

The UMG is for smartphones. Intel is getting killed in that market. ARM is a big time contender in post-pc devices and the software houses are realizing. Windows 8 will be available for ARM architectures.

"The Intel Atom Processor Based Platform Advantage"

Sounds way to much like their previous OEM "partnership agreements" where they held the OEM's by the nuts and forced them to use Intel only for everything inside the machine (CPU + Intel Chipset + Intel Network + anything else).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]prodigygamer[/nom]""Designing a New Generation of Netbooks with the Intel Atom Processor Based Platform" will will cover the following topics:"Wtf, is there an echo in here I am missing missing?[/citation]

No, but there's a comma you are missing.

foxalopex

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I suspect that AMD's Brezos Fusion platform is making a dent in Intel's Atom market. Until Intel learns how to put a decent GPU on die with the Atom CPU, I imagine this will be a bit of a losing game.

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Oak-trail will evidently NOT support PCI bus.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ftc_allows_intel_ship_oak_trail_without_pci-express_support

Intel is developing a proprietary bus that will squeeze out Nvidia and anyone else who wants to provide peripherals for Intel CPU's. ATOM is just the beginning.

Eliminating PC also reduces the motherboard size and expense and power demand. Integrated systems also do not allow for add-on upgrades like discrete graphics. Nvidia just lost market share here.

G

@mateau

agreed but for one small issue, nVidia will be pushing tegra which will compete directly with these chips, there's no reason nVidia should be supporting the competition when they could be pushing their own chips, if tegra sells well nVidia wont be losing market share they be stealing intel's

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]People keep forgetting that Atom isn't just about low power, it's about low cost as well. It's extremely small, and thus inexpensive. Not everyone lives in the United States, and in very poor countries, the money they can save using this platform can make the difference between between having a computer and not having a computer. And having an Atom, especially a dual core, means being able to do all of what over 95% of the people use a computer for.Compared to not having a computer at all, the difference between an Atom and a Sandy Bridge is nothing.[/citation]
ppl keep forgetting atom is about low performance , low resolution , low fps , low class and some low IT knowledge noob or fanboy will like to pick one :D

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]ppl keep forgetting atom is about low performance , low resolution , low fps , low class and some low IT knowledge noob or fanboy will like to pick one[/citation]

You make the common mistake that just because a product isn't for everyone, it's for no one.

I have worked in IT for almost 30 years, and I'd buy an Atom, I just wouldn't buy it as my main computer. As a kitchen appliance, or in my sun room, or a guest room, it would be ideal since it's very low power, and easily found in mini-ITX, and doesn't make noise.

You can't take a product out its context, and judge it. A Sandy Bridge is a piece of crap for smart phones. Does that make it worthless? An Atom is not a replacement for mainstream processors, so don't judge it in that context. For the size of the die, the performance is extremely good, far better than Sandy Bridge, especially on threaded applications. Intel did a great job keeping it extremely small, and if you judge it by the cost of production, you see a product that meets the needs of a lot of people, but is incredibly inexpensive to make. That's a good and useful product. It just might not be for you. But, do you think a family in a poor country doesn't appreciate the massive cost savings ($300 a month is very good pay in some poor countries) this platform offers? And on top of that, it saves on the electrical bill.

Intel expanded the market with the Atom, and brought the price for a computer down so people who wouldn't otherwise be able to get them, can actually own a computer instead of paying to go to a Cyber Cafe and pay to share one with other people. Intel surely did this to make money, but it doesn't change the fact that this product is helpful to a lot of poor people in many countries, because it allows them to own something they otherwise would be unable to. And it's not even close to be useless, and it's a lot faster than walking to someplace to rent a computer. So, I can understand why a lot of people don't want an Atom, but, at the same time that doesn't make it useless.

ien2222

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]ppl keep forgetting atom is about low performance , low resolution , low fps , low class and some low IT knowledge noob or fanboy will like to pick one[/citation]

Also, on top of the butt kicking TA152H just gave you:

These are also excellent for server farms where I/O are the only consideration and processing power is not needed. The energy and cost savings these bring as compared to Xeons or even i7/i5/i3 is substantial and are already being implemented on the professional level. 'Course, if you weren't such a noob, you'd have known that.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
In the same power envelope an AMD E350 mops the floor with any Atom based Intel solution, at a smaller price tag, so they better come with a competitive piece of hardware.In the low power server farms I'll put my money on ARM 'cause I never saw Intel quad core in a 5 watt power envelope.I love competition!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]In the same power envelope an AMD E350 mops the floor with any Atom based Intel solution, at a smaller price tag, so they better come with a competitive piece of hardware.In the low power server farms I'll put my money on ARM 'cause I never saw Intel quad core in a 5 watt power envelope.I love competition![/citation]

Actually, the Atom beats the E350 in many benchmarks, and has a smaller dier. Your data is flawed. The Bobcat is better at single-threaded apps, and if that's where you need performance, it's better. It's also married to a better IGP. The Atom has better multi-threaded performance in many cases (in order processors benefit more from hyper-threading than out of order processors), and uses less power in most cases (unless married to NVIDIA crap). So, they're both good.

I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but

[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]And yet how many Netbooks can you buy that don't have Atom?Atom created the Netbook market. My guess would be, much like Ivy Bridge thats being shown off in May, it will be based on Intels 22nm process. If so, it will kill anything on a performance/power scale.[/citation]
Actually, Intel Celeron-M ULV 353 created the netbook market.

Just RDP to your desktop for all the power you need in your netbook. Noob. Battery life, size and weight are the advantages of the atom platform and those features are far more important for many IT professionals.
That said, I myself opted for an AMD Ontario netbook. Dual core and virtualization support. Plus some "acceptable" frames in COD4 :D

[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]... and some low IT knowledge noob or fanboy will like to pick one[/citation]
Yep. That's me. :lol: :lol; :lol:

Built my first computer in 1977 for a friend (he really, really liked Forth) - RCA COSMAC 1802 running Tiny Forth, wire wrapped the thing. Bought my first computer in 1978.

Check my forum profile.

I have a netbook. I use it while traveling to supplement my two OC'd quad core and two dual core systems.

Speaking of noobs ...

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
for all the above , if u aren't a noob then u must be a fanboy , all i can say is atom suck big time , fusion is the answer , even via nano is better than atom ~

Status
Not open for further replies.