Intel to Stunt Overclocking on Sandy Bridge CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Load of *****, i cant see any benefit to this except to monatise an already lucrative market and to bend their consumers over and pay PAY for the privilege of OC'ing

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
darn.. the abusive intel
trying to sell their 900$ chips when 250$ (i7 920)can easily be overclocked to reach that potential (no more)..

welshmousepk

Distinguished
in further news, intel today announced they are allowing for only a single RAM slot on their new mobos, No PCI expansion slots, and no longer supporting aftermarket coolers.

they are also creating a new oATX spec, using an octagonal shape only supporting dodecahedronic case, built specifically by a guy named borris who works in accounting.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
WOW! Intel must be very confident that Sandy Bridge at stock will beat heavily OCed hex Bulldozer?????? Anyway, it's of no concern to me, because I am pretty sure that my i5 will last long enough so that SandyBridege/Bulldozer are meaningless to me.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Syndil[/nom]OC'ing is pointless anyway, and it has been for years. Flame away.[/citation]
I side with you somewhat because overclocking only benefits very few people in real application use. If you get your rocks off to doing synthetic benchmarks all day and night, then you might want to consider a new hobby. Overclockers probably make up about less than 5% of the market anyways.

What the article didn't say, was that the stock line-up of Sandy bridge will DESTROY any overclocked AMD product yesterday, today and tomorrow.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]I side with you somewhat because overclocking only benefits very few people in real application use. If you get your rocks off to doing synthetic benchmarks all day and night, then you might want to consider a new hobby. Overclockers probably make up about less than 5% of the market anyways.What the article didn't say, was that the stock line-up of Sandy bridge will DESTROY any overclocked AMD product yesterday, today and tomorrow.[/citation]

Overclockers may only make up %5 percent of Intel's revenue, but you can't deny they have great influence on friends and family when it comes to purchasing PCs.

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]They said the same about Bloomfield/1366 i7s being unable to overclock, too.Does anyone remember this?http://news.softpedia.com/news/Int [...] 4019.shtml I'll believe it when I see it.[/citation]

Have slides from intel... what more do you need to tell you that sandy bridge is a FAIL! ? Besides the link you posted doesnt even have proof.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]What the article didn't say, was that the stock line-up of Sandy bridge will DESTROY any overclocked AMD product yesterday, today and tomorrow.[/citation]
That's a big claim you have there. I hope you have the balls to say that same statement 5-10 years down the line.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I believe this piece of news is a well-guided rumor released by intel itself, after hurrying up sandy bridge launch, intel needs something to rush people to jump into the bandwagon and buy their current CPUs instead of waiting for the new ones, thus clearing up current inventories. My bet is the next CPUs will OC very well seeing that they'll be 32nm.

G

This is a good way to drive up 980X sales today. By 'leaking' a rumor there's no OC'ing SandyBridge, marginal buyers can be pushed to buy 980X today. Then when it does ship, it can come with OC features and a big, 'WE never SAID it wouldn't OC. Those slides with our name on it were under NDA anyways...'

Lutfij

Titan
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]in further news, intel today announced they are allowing for only a single RAM slot on their new mobos, No PCI expansion slots, and no longer supporting aftermarket coolers. they are also creating a new oATX spec, using an octagonal shape only supporting dodecahedronic case, built specifically by a guy named borris who works in accounting.[/citation]

gotta enjoy the humur! i'v turned my head to amd in my new builds

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]Overclockers may only make up %5 percent of Intel's revenue, but you can't deny they have great influence on friends and family when it comes to purchasing PCs.[/citation]

Prices effect buying decisions far more than the opinion of overclockers.

Doesn't really matter what some kid says about his insanely overclocked processor, if the person he's babbling to simply can't afford it.

lenoxlv

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
That`s why Intel is stopping overclocking. Why should you purchase sandy bridge when you have a i7-920 overclocked witch will server you for years? This is why they are trying to stop overclocking, so people need to buy need CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.