Intel To Unveil 8th Generation Core Processor 'Coffee Lake' Family August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
wow... um... i guess we'll have to wait for the full reveal to see if there is anything worthwhile added for a move to a new motherboard. geez.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
.... And I just ordered my new Kaby Lake Laptop.

TBH given that to get More than 4C8T intel makes you buy a server based mother board, I don't see Intel suddenly offering consumer laptops with i7 branded 45W chips with 8C16T.

Oh boy. This is the second time they've rushed a product release this year. Hopefully they won't screw it up nearly as badly this time around.

Then again, even if they did, AMD will be there to save the day. Hopefully.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
It stated in the article that the improvements are not from better IPC/arch, but simply from more core count. This led me to believe that Intel doesn't really need new chipset for Coffee Lake. Further, I believe this move would upset a lot of people that bought Kaby Lake lineup.

I'm happy Intel feels like it needs to increase core counts which it could have done a very long time ago. Thanks AMD for making Intel pick up the pace. Got to love competition coming back to CPU's again.

Anyone else find a 30% increase in performance by adding 50% more cores(4 to 6) a little weird to boast about?

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Real tired of buying new mobo's because the sockets change. I think this may push me to a Threadripper setup and I won't buy a new cpu for the next 10 years.

I get it, some people like to upgrade often but I must admit my 2500k prior lasted me 6 years before it was becoming a bottleneck. It seems by the time I want to upgrade, the entire platform is better and I don't want my old motherboard anyhow. I realize that is not everyone but I tend not care so much about socket changes. Although I do have a Ryzen r7 now which I will be eyeballing the Zen2 chips when they land on that 7nm process, if its a huge bump I may do a CPU only upgrade so I do see the upside of reusing sockets just not typically a factor for me.

Intel definitely did the right thing by waiting, though. They always have had this buffer where, when this situation would finally come, they can just add more cores and call it a day.

sfcampbell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"The company also compared the eighth-generation processor to a previous-generation model with fewer threads..." Is anyone else overwhelmed by the stench of desperation?

I could wait to find out how close they get to their 30% PI target -- and how many PCI-E lanes they lock out, and that they will recycle the same garbage thermal paste that have been hamstringing their processors for five generations... But I won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

G

i3 having 4 Cores and no HT with base clock speed of 4.0Ghz is enough to tear down entire Ryzen lineup <$170. Good enough for me.

G

People act here like AMD took performance crown from Intel but they did not. They just have better pricing.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
8th generation of consumer milking although this time due to the competition there might be slightly more than the usual 9ish % increase...

The PC almost stagnated due to lack of innovation and intel is largely responsible for that, now with competition their forced to start to work again and heck even the forecasts in PC sales is all off a sudden up - How strange!

AMD really stirred up the stagnated CPU market and thanks to them it's somewhat revitalized.

sfcampbell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

An i3 "tear(s) down entire Ryzen lineup"? Really? If you pull your head out of your FPS hind-side for five seconds, you might realize how absurd that comment really is...

sfcampbell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

By your logic Intel did the right thing by thwarting performance enhancements while maximizing consumer cost, which revenue they squandered on fruitless endeavors towards markets in which they've failed miserably? What they did benefited only their Company's profits and was no more than a slap in the face of loyal customers such as yourself!

I'm reading that to mean he thinks an i3 with 4 cores and a base frequency of 4 GHz (basically a locked version of today's i5 7600k) would beat any Ryzen priced <$170, ie the r5 1400 on down the stack. Not that the price of the i3 is the <$170 figure, and that it would beat any Ryzen model such as the r7 line.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No. It's basically the same process technology. So, unless you also want to burn >= 50% more power, then don't expect a linear increase.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Really? Q3/Q4 will be about 1 year since Kaby Lake laptops launched. And their cadence is supposed to be 1 year, right? So, I'm expecting to see Coffee Lake laptops this fall, and the desktop chips launch in Q1 next year.

Of course, I haven't been following the rumor mill, so any corrections or updates are welcome.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Spoiler alert. If you own any recent Intel i7, the answer is no. If you own something that Coffee Lake is a worthy upgrade over, you're not going to want to be using the motherboard you are on now.

Well if you *needed* a new laptop now, then there's not much you could have done about it. A Coffee Lake powered laptop won't be available for several months after the desktop chips are released. This is based on history of previous mobile CPU releases after the desktops.

Classic @Freak comment, but I actually don't think he's wrong.

The Ryzen platform has been fantastic for competition, but if you look at it objectively, their primary (only?) real selling point is cores/threads per dollar. IPC and clocks are decent on Ryzen, but they're not quite there. Ryzen is great because you get more cores/$.
Intel upping their core count was always the biggest threat to Ryzen, because it challenges the very thing that made the Ryzen lineup so disruptive.

If the new i7s are priced and clocked similarly, but are 6C12T, they should challenge the Ryzen 7 lineup in the most Ryzen-favoured multi-threaded tests (Cinebench, Blender, etc), which maintaining Intel's single-threaded and gaming lead.
i5s with 6C6T or 4C8T should similarly challenge the Ryzen 5 lineup.
I think @Freak's point is correct, that a 4C4T i3 could do the same to the Ryzen 3 and quad core Ryzen 5 lineup.
Take away the massive wins Ryzen CPUs give in multi-threaded benchmarks and the lineup starts to look a lot less attractive.

Obviously Intel has to execute, price competitively, keep core-to-core latency low and manage thermals on a toothpaste covered 6C12 i7. That's all yet to be seen. But the prospect of a well executed launch and competitive pricing will be concerning for AMD to say the least.

G

i3 8350k is unlocked i3 CPU with 4 cores and 4.0Ghz base clock with the price of <= $170.

Exactly. That's why they did the right thing for their business.

sfcampbell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

Just to confirm: you are praising Intel for stifling innovation and scalping consumers with
egregiously inflated pricing for the sake of personal profit as praiseworthy? A simple yes will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.