Question Intel Turbo Boost causing my cpu to overheat

May 17, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
my CPU sits at 40-50 degrees Celsius while idle (that is still high temp), but the weird thing is that it hits 96-100 degrees within milliseconds of starting the stress test, could anyone explain what's happening?

How are you measuring temperature? Last I checked most monitoring tools only have a frequency of 1Hz, maybe 2Hz. And this still depends on how often the part itself updates said values.

In any case, you're running a stress test. If it's something like Prime95, it's designed to stress a lot of things in the CPU and so it'll ramp up in power consumption really fast.

May 17, 2021
How are you measuring temperature? Last I checked most monitoring tools only have a frequency of 1Hz, maybe 2Hz. And this still depends on how often the part itself updates said values.

In any case, you're running a stress test. If it's something like Prime95, it's designed to stress a lot of things in the CPU and so it'll ramp up in power consumption really fast.
when I said milliseconds I meant that it was spiking in temp really REALLY fast

May 17, 2021

see?

@Celverboy The 8700K is a powerful CPU. It will run hot at full power, especially if the stress test uses AVX instructions. Prime95 Small FFTs is murder for CPU temps. What cooler do you have? When was the last time you cleaned it and replaced the thermal paste? What type of paste did you use and how did you apply it?

May 17, 2021
Intel Turbo Boost is causing my i7-8700k to overheat

with turbo boost: 50 degrees avg, 97-100 under stress

without turbo boost:30-40 degrees avg, 60-70 under stress

could anyone explain what's happening and how do I fix this?

Turbo boost increases the clock speed of your processor under load, hence the increased temperatures.
What cooler are you using? Case and fan setup?
Chances are the cooler is not up to the task.

Also could you define stress? Are you running a specific stress testing software or just gaming, rendering, etc?

May 17, 2021
Turbo boost increases the clock speed of your processor under load, hence the increased temperatures.
What cooler are you using? Case and fan setup?
Chances are the cooler is not up to the task.

Also could you define stress? Are you running a specific stress testing software or just gaming, rendering, etc?
I'm using a Chinese fan, it has a giant heatsink and it has held up pretty well over the past 2 years, I'm running intel XTU to stress test the CPU. And I changed the thermal paste earlier this day