Intel Tweets First Video Of Its Discrete Gaming GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

This is Intel,

Intel probably going make their dGPU low latency like their products like alongside Side Channel features

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
If Intel could make it's CPU onboard graphics as fast as a GTX 1060, it could corner the market for gaming at 1080p since you don't need anything faster. Those laptops with the CPUs would now qualify as gaming laptops and low end PCs would be quite capable gaming machines. They could easily raise the price of these CPUs by $100 without anybody complaining too much.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Maybe in 10 years when system RAM has the same bandwidth GDDR5 has

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

Couldn't you add GDDR5 as part of the CPU and not have to have any system RAM, usless they want to add it (this wouldn't hinder Windows much depending on the amount of GDDR5, can't Windows use as little as 1 GB of space). That is another $100 that you could add to the price of the CPU without anybody complaining too much.

LOL you're new to reality aren't you?
If they do this only to a small portion of CPUs it would cost way more then just $100 more.If they do it to all their CPUs and raise prices to all,then professionals and "professionals" alike would loose it,as well as all the people who just want a cheap CPU to browse and read emails.
This would kick off a shit storm like you wouldn't believe.

Everybody and their mothers?
You never get a teaser video of a product that was finished 2 years earlier.

Aug 16, 2018
Intel...Discrete Gaming GPU! good news. hope they just give its windows driver's development to Nvidia etc. ;) please (HUGE! lazy) Intel, make anything you want but DO not inter to gaming (3d) drivers development.

AMD has already done it. They are still far from APU and without their GLUE (EMIB), it will be impossible.

They still have 5 years before arriving to an APU. At that time, AMD will already be far ahead.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Anything to reduce the price of video cards would be great.

I remember when I thought $500 was a lot for top end video cards, but now you pay $600-$700 for them. Now with RTX 2080 prices possibly at $1000 and $1500, something has to change. Because this is getting ridiculous.

Good luck Intel, may you lower video card prices everywhere.

stdragon

Admirable
So, a teaser clip for a product that *might* be released in 2020? No way that's going to steal nVidia's thunder.

Nice try Intel, but past experiences with Intel dedicated GPUs has either been lackluster or pure vaporware. If anything gets salvaged from it, I'm sure parts will be incorporated into the next iGPU.

You do know that Intel has one of the largest software development teams in the world, right? I wouldn't call them lazy since they work with every major software developer out there.

They had a slow graphics driver release because there is no need to release drivers when the majority of people just need a stable working driver.

Intel has an APU. The mainstream Core series is an APU.

That said, doubting Intel is always a major mistake. AMD at one time doubted Core would be better than K8. Intel has more money, resources and IP to push something.

Of course their first major fix is to either get 10nm working and out or skip it and move to 7nm. Still they have a lot of resources readily available.

The article states Larrabee was a failure, as a dGPU yes although it was never released or even made it close. It was however a success in that it became a HPC product that made them plenty of money. I hope this is not what happens to this one too. Maybe Intel being in the market will help kick AMDs graphics division back into high gear. nVidia needs the competition.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Remember, the inflated price of video cards was due to the cryptocurrency craze, not manufacturers just saying "Oh, we're upping the price." Notice how prices have actually come down to reality for a number of video cards these days.

Your speculation on the 2080's possible prices are ridiculous. Who would buy them at those prices? Nvidia actually wants to sell these things, not have them sit on a shelf. If I were in the market for a 2080, and they were $1000, I'd just go for a 1080Ti, which likely performs somewhere in 2080 territory, and pay $250-$300 less.

The GTX 1060 is already over two years old, and within a matter of months there should be a new, faster generation of mid-range cards in its place. In another two years, when Intel finally might begin releasing this new graphics hardware, Nvidia and AMD should be launching yet another generation of cards, by which point the GTX 1060 will likely perform comparable to a $100 card.

Most likely, there will also be another generation of consoles coming out around that time, and graphics requirements in games will become higher. Already, the demands of many games are higher than what they were when the 1060 launched, and in another couple years you might need to drop to relatively low settings to maintain good frame rates on a GTX 1060 at 1080p in some newer titles. While it could potentially be possible for Intel to offer 1060-like performance in an IGP around that time, by that point, 1060-like performance might be pretty low-end.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

A company that wants to distract you from their latest CPU flaws

They sure could..... in a Alternate Marvel Universe, if they could have, they would have by now. Intel has been interested in the discrete video market for years but failed miserably on their last try. I remember I couldn't give those GPUs away. But only 2 years to wait for their next go at it. I hope they succeed that may help bring the prices down more.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

This is true for Triple-A titles that people with high-end gaming machines might play, but there are millions of people in foreign countries who go to places to rent computers by the hour for gaming. If you need a cheap gaming machine for each of your kids to keep them off yours, there is another market. People who play at 1080p 60Hz shouldn't need more than a GTX 1060 and that would also cover the majority of gaming laptops. Intel wants to jump into the deep end, I am just saying it is safer to wade into the deep end. If I was betting my money on whether Intel could manage to corner the low and middle tier video card market or compete on the same level with the 2 major high-end video cards. I already told which one I would choose. Heck, AMD is barely able to compete at that level.

Current gen of consoles is already 4k so next one or two will be as well,no way they go back to just 1080,so future games that are optimized to run well on consoles in 4k might actually have LOWER requirements for 1080 then current games.

Status
Not open for further replies.