Intel Unlocked Anniversary Pentium CPU Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Are they going include the new TIM between the die and the IHS supposedly going to present in devil's canyon? or is it the old stuff used in IB and Haswell that plagues OCs?

Amdlova

Distinguished
i will get that processor. will fit on my game needs... i don't need a i5 or i7 to play the games what i still playing. and i3 still very expensive. o prefer get an amd cpu for the 130 us

InvalidError

Titan
An overclockable 2C2T CPU at a time where OSes running applications and games often have enough threads flying around in the background to give 2C4T and 4C4T CPUs somewhat of a workout... might be a little late.

If Intel had really wanted to make their 20th Anniversary edition Pentiums super-special by making them at least somewhat relevant in the enthusiast market like they were 15-20 years ago, they should have enabled HT and sold them in the $120-150 range.

Lightbulbie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
An overclockable 2C2T CPU at a time where OSes running applications and games often have enough threads flying around in the background to give 2C4T and 4C4T CPUs somewhat of a workout... might be a little late.

If Intel had really wanted to make their 20th Anniversary edition Pentiums super-special by making them at least somewhat relevant in the enthusiast market like they were 15-20 years ago, they should have enabled HT and sold them in the $120-150 range.
Or, y'know. An i3. (Dual-core with HT)

InvalidError

Titan

Releasing a special edition i3 to celebrate 20 years of Pentium would not sound right.

Breaking the branding convention by releasing a Pentium-branded unlocked i3 on the other hand would would be something super-special and far more useful in today's market.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
No mention of whether it will use the good or the crap heat material. No point in getting something like this for overclocking if it has bad heat material, you might as well just get an i3 in that case.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Some tasks are still limited to 1 or 2 threads, such as ProE, in which case a Z97
based on this chip could be rather good, eg. I observed very decent ProE results
with an i3 550 @ 4.7GHz. Beyond such specific examples though, I don't know...

Ian.

InvalidError

Titan

The "crap" material Intel uses is actually better than most of the best aftermarket crap you can put in its place.

The problem is there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-200 micrometers worth of it between the IHS and the die itself, which is a huge gap. If you put a 200 microns thick layer of your favorite "best" aftermarket paste, it would fare horribly too.

200 microns is no big deal for solder-based TIM but with pastes, it can ruin your day.

all i can say is the heat spread better be soldered on there good. Hopefully something reaching 5GHZ on air and under 80W thermal....?
Something this cheap is just begging for a delid and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra if it uses the same design as the other Haswells. My 4770K dropped almost 20°C with CLU under the IHS.

artk2219

Distinguished
Or for the same 80 bucks you could pick up an Athlon 750K with 4 cores that also has an unlocked multiplier. Granted you wont win many single thread races but when more than 2 threads come into play your processor wont be choking. The motherboard will probably be a bit cheaper as well.

Lightbulbie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012

But there is a reason that they brand things the way they do. Now if they made a Once-In-A-Lifetime quad-cored Pentium for the 20th year celebration, that would be big.

But Intel being Intel, they did a good job keeping the Pentium a good line of CPUs for all these years.

f688xt6

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I think this processor is a good idea on Intel's part. They need something that is capable of overclocking without spending over 200 bucks on just the CPU. The question that needs to be answered is simple. Will the market accept it, buy a bunch of them, and make sure that Intel knows that there is a strong market for less than top shelf hardware. I need to buy at least two of them for projects on the horizon, but I want to buy way more just so Intel gets the picture that they can sell them. Its the chipset that's the issue. Lack of O.C. capabilities in anything short of a Z87 or Z97 is lame. But again, its a consumer driven market. So, my advice... Go buy the damn things for your family's system, your mother's system, your girlfriend's system, or any other non-gaming build that you can, solely for the purpose of justifying continued market support.

Status
Not open for further replies.