Intel Unveils New Core i3, Celeron-powered Chromebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Can someone state the primary purpose of chromebooks? Are they issued by corporations/government to employees?

I don't see how they could beat a conventional and similarly priced notebook in practicality or value in personal use.

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I really don't see the point of buying this over a real notebook. Such a limited OS... The only reason I would buy it is if it's possible to drop Chrome OS and install Ubuntu or windows. Who on earth buys this kind of stuff?

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Can someone state the primary purpose of chromebooks? Are they issued by corporations/government to employees?

I don't see how they could beat a conventional and similarly priced notebook in practicality or value in personal use.
They're cheap, have decent battery life, and are generally built better than Windows notebooks in the same price range. A Windows OEM license adds $15-$50 to the cost of a Windows notebook where ChromeOS is free. In order to drive Windows notebooks down into the price range of Chromebooks manufacturers have to cut corners with things like cheaper materials, weaker batteries, and lower-quality screens to save that $15-$50.

For people who just want to connect to the internet, watch videos, browse social media, and other similar activities a Chromebook is all they need. A tablet can perform the same duties with similar battery life but Chromebooks have larger screens and built-in keyboards which are important to most people.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
^^ this

Plus, arguably, the "feature" of less malware-threat (at the cost of less overall capability) could be beneficial to many users. The cloud-nature also decreases the need for a backup soluton, which many users seem to neglect.

iceTorch

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Although it wont replace the power of a full desktop, it fulfills the basic computer use that most people need. I have the Acer C720 chromebook and its lightweight, small, has good battery life, and is powerful enough for basic machine use. It won't play games or video/photo edit as well as Windows but most people don't do that. What I do on my chromebook is web browse, listen to music, watch videos, spreadsheet, documents, slides and I installed ubuntu for so I can code on the go.

My Windows desktop machine fulfills the more heavyweight rolls such as programming, gaming, video/photo editing, etc.

enterthesloth1

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I work at a school district and manage about 2000 computers in a one man shop. They range from ios to chreombooks, to android to windows. I can install software on our 700 chromebooks in 5 minutes from anywhere in the world, they support all of our educational software, need almost no support and are the cheapest solution out there. For schools they are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.