Intel Unveils Skylake vPro CPUs With Triple-Hardened 'Intel Authenticate' Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

dt9999

Honorable
Jan 19, 2016
I wonder if they'll be easier to find than the Skylake i7 6700K! They've been out for a while, but their availability is spotty at best. Guess all the OEM's (Dell, HP, etc.) are grabbing them up.

You just love racing to be the first poster, don't you?

@IInuyasha74: I'm sure you can tell me, but what does a processor have to do with security? Wouldn't it be the software that runs on the computer and is executed by the processor that affects security?

So, to the people concerned about security issues with this technology, you do realize the entire reason Intel made it was to reduce the ability for third-party users to access your system either remotely or directly? It isn't so important for every day users, but it is a major selling point for businesses. As for the government, Intel or Microsoft stealing your data, as these organizations have virtually unlimited resources at their disposal, I don't think any of them would bother targeting this software when they have other methods of getting into you system if for some reason they really wanted to.

@turkey3_scratch: I'm not entirely sure what security methods Intel is using with these, as they might have changed from previous generations, but there are several ways hardware can be used for security tasks. Sometimes it is just altered firmware that adds additional protection to the hardware, or it could perform some type of actual processing, like running the AES instruction set for accelerated encryption of files.

Ahmedivx

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
:D this is funny, I couldn't get the full subject of the article before I open it, so I thought "New Skylake Processors with Triple-Hardened PCB" :D

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
@IInuyasha74 that is such a poor argument. This security feature is good because if they wanted your data, there are other, easier ways to get it! Either the PC is secure or it isn't, the point is to keep the computer secure. You are buying this product to have a secure PC. This is only feasible if the computer can be secure. They're selling umbrellas when everyone is already soaked to the bone.

mctylr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I haven't looked at "Intel Authenticate" feature(s), but the "vPro" security technology is aimed at corporate computer and network security. At the most basic level it could be thought as being like corporate vehicle security; that is tracking and control of corporate ("fleet") vehicles.

Another way to look at vPro, would be to be Intel attempting to learn from their mistakes they made with the CPUID serial numbers in Pentium III, but trying to give corporate customers means for asset tracking / controlling configuration of their own systems, including software based asset tracking that survives an OS reinstall.

I've never been able to get a good feel of the separation or relation of vPro to other related hardware based security feature sets, such as TPM, and TXT.

f-14

Distinguished
No way in hell this isn't backdoored by the NSA. No thanks.
EXACTLY, IT'S MANDATED BY LAW THEY HAVE THE RSA AND ENCRYPTION KEYS! and not just the american government, you think this stuff is allowed to be imported into other countries with out their explicit consent then you are the ones using water for brains.

a new security technology called Intel Authenticate to increase the amount of protection provided by vPro processors.
security for who? the government? seems this is a response to that whistle blower telling the world how governments have access front door access to the companies who make the security keys BY LAW.
the intranet and internet is like sex, abstinence is the only 100% way, if you want to be secure.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
the intranet and internet is like sex, abstinence is the only 100% way, if you want to be secure.
Comments like this are why so many people call people like you morons and losers. You have no idea what 'security' actually means in the real world. Security does not mean that if someone has a reason to specifically target you they cannot get into X or Y.
Security means that if you are the 'anonymous fish' most people will not be able to get into your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.