Intel VGA Driver required if using NVIDIA card?

am2302

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I'm doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 on my machine and putting together the latest drivers from the MoBo manufacturer's website.

Do I need the "Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver" if I'm not using the integrated graphics? I use a GTX 1080 with its own driver, so is there any point to installing the Intel one? If so, what order should I install them in?

Specs:

• Motherboard: ASUS STRIX B250F GAMING
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX1080
    CPU: i7-7700

Solution
It's not going to hurt anything by installing the Intel graphic drivers. They should not interfere with the NVidia drivers, but to be safe, I'd install the Intel Drivers and then the NVidia drivers.

Technically, as long as your On-board graphics are already working, you don't *NEED* to install the newer Intel drivers at all. If your GTX1080 fails, you still have working on-board graphics to fall back on for basic computer operation (you can at least see the screen).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's not going to hurt anything by installing the Intel graphic drivers. They should not interfere with the NVidia drivers, but to be safe, I'd install the Intel Drivers and then the NVidia drivers.

Technically, as long as your On-board graphics are already working, you don't *NEED* to install the newer Intel drivers at all. If your GTX1080 fails, you still have working on-board graphics to fall back on for basic computer operation (you can at least see the screen).

-Wolf sends

Solution

am2302

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks Wolfshadw. I agree that it won't hurt anything, I was thinking more in terms of performance - i.e. less drivers that Windows needs loaded in the background (if that's even a thing).

It's how my current install was set up, with Intel drivers installed and NVIDIA later and I've had no issues. I'm just wondering if I can squeeze a bit more performance out of the system by running it leaner.

TRENDING THREADS