[SOLVED] Intel vs AMD for 4K Gaming in 2020, i7-9700K vs Ryzen 7 3700x or i5-9600K vs i5-8400, nVidia vs Radeon and Much More!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 8, 2019
Cheers all !

2019 is almost over and I AM GOING CRAZY reading forums, reviews and watching videos and benchmarks for MONTHS NOW !

I need A SOLID CPU AND MOTHERBOARD FOR GAMING. So I would much appreciate your help.

I'm usually watching movies, tv series or playing games on my 55" Oled TV at 1080p (So im stuck at this resolution until later nex year, when I can afford to buy a new 4K TV and GPU)

I was this close to go for a Ryzen 7 3700x, but then I read hundreds of forums of desperate people that have so many problems with either the BIOS of the motherboards, the CPU, the software, windows, or even random issues like crashing, freezing, resetting, boot failure and so on . . .

I mean, there are so many problems with AMD even in 2020 that I cant believe . . .

I have been a Intel owner for at least 13 years or more and I NEVER HAD ISSUES LIKE AMD !

No, I'm not a fanboy but I value stability and compatibility the most !

Oh, intending to go 4K in 2020 also so future proofing would be nice, specially cause I intend to keep the CPU for 3 to 5 years.

Budget: I could stretch for the top CPU's, but giving the fact that I basically don't do any work and I mostly game on the PC, would be nice to allocate some money in a good GPU for 4K future proof !

MY BUILD WILL BE:

ASUS MOTHERBOARD (Most likely ) ??

32GB OF RAM G.SKILL 3600Mhz

GTX 1060 6GB ( I'm stuck with for now, but will UPGRADE TO A 2080 SUPER, somewhere in 2020 after the prices drop down)

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE BETWEEN:

Intel I7 9700k vs Ryzen 7 3700x
or
Intel i59600k vs i5 8400

P.S - I now have a i7 7700 (NON K) with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB

IS IT WORTH UPGRADING ( The CPU+Motherboard+RAM) FOR 4K AND FUTURE PROOFING ? Or should I buy a GTX 2070 or 2080 SUPER and stick with my current config?

Thank you kindly !

Solution
I don't think everyone needs to be so quick to dismiss the OP's concerns about AM4. I'm am one of if not the biggest AM4 enthusiasts that lurk's these forums. I've built 20+ AM4 systems in the last year. I've owned over 30 AM4 motherboards, over a dozen 1st gen ryzens, eight 2nd gen ryzens, and six 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's at one time or another. I've spent countless hours testing, tuning, and building systems on this platform. Countless more hours reading and researching everything there is to know about them. I've assisted many with troubleshooting issues on these systems.

I've never had any memory issues with first and second gen Ryzen systems with a properly working memory kit. I've never had one of these systems not post and run its...
Just because someone is asking that doesn't mean someone will pay ... you can get a R5 3600 for less than that, no one will pay $250 dollars for a 7700 ... $100-150 maybe, but not $250.
But they do, frequently. In fact $250 is on the low end of what they are actually selling for on ebay pre owned.

Probably because for many people with sky/kaby lake systems, a 7700 or k is about all they can upgrade too.

Sure a motherboard and CPU would be a better option, however its clear people are actually still upgrading to 7700s at those prices based on sold eBay listings.

I must have misread about your new display. I thought you were looking for 4k tvs, but i didn't see oled. 4k tvs can be bought for like $300ish for a low end model around 50inch or so. But oled, that drive cost up, a lot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many ppl are spending 'stupid money' (not my words) on the i7-7700 because it's the best upgrade they can get for their prebuilts. Considering many simply don't transplant to a new case, or that's the limit of their budget, for whatever reason, they can't do a full platform change, so the upgrade is the best option by far.

Also, many are buying these cpus, mobo's, even 3rd and 4th gen, and shipping them overseas to friends in Indo-Asiatic countries where they really are still a major cash crop.

Miners, Nas and any other pc that just sits and has no need for uber gaming performance.

Refurbishers who spend $100 on a pos pc, $200 on a cpu and resell the bundle for $400 working pc with an i7.

And sellers are taking advantage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not. I play swtor a lot, single player, 8man op's is peachy, 16man op's get decent frame drops when the ai's get ambitious, but 24man world boss fights are downright rediculous. Nothing but stutters due to the sheer amount of physX used by casters, damages, explosions, spell affects and blasters, plus all the added ai from the other users. It's a jittery mess. I only jump in a wb fight when I have to, it's not by choice. And my 3770k is sitting at 4.6GHz, so at least equitable to that 7700, if not a little better. Swtor has been out for @ 6 years now and quads are taking a beating in a big way, hyperthreading not withstanding.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not. I play swtor a lot, single player, 8man op's is peachy, 16man op's get decent frame drops when the ai's get ambitious, but 24man world boss fights are downright rediculous. Nothing but stutters due to the sheer amount of physX used by casters, damages, explosions, spell affects and blasters, plus all the added ai from the other users. It's a jittery mess. I only jump in a wb fight when I have to, it's not by choice. And my 3770k is sitting at 4.6GHz, so at least equitable to that 7700, if not a little better. Swtor has been out for @ 6 years now and quads are taking a beating in a big way, hyperthreading not withstanding.
I'm not sure if this was a response to me, but we're talking about stuttering during basic tasks like web browsing and video playback, not gaming.

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
only downfall to ryzen I've seen is when you try to run xmp with 32gb of ram you will get stability issues..I had a 1600x with 16gb ram overclocked in xmp worked fine for years, upgraded to 32gb and couldn't run 32gb of ram anymore wo bluescreens..if you go with 32gb of ram I think ryzen has some stability issues when overclocking the ram..something to keep in mind..

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
only downfall to ryzen I've seen is when you try to run xmp with 32gb of ram you will get stability issues..I had a 1600x with 16gb ram overclocked in xmp worked fine for years, upgraded to 32gb and couldn't run 32gb of ram anymore wo bluescreens..if you go with 32gb of ram I think ryzen has some stability issues when overclocking the ram..something to keep in mind..
Just a heads up, if you tried adding an additional 16gb to your existing 16gb that could be your problem right there. Combining RAM that was purchased separately, even the exact same model, can cause issues no matter your CPU. And running 4 sticks is generally harder than 2 (i.e. getting 2x16gb may be more amenable than 4x8GB).

Ryzen memory compatibility has also improved a fair deal since 1st gen.

Reactions: joeblowsmynose

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First Gen - 2133-2400MHz
2nd Gen - 2133-2400 or 2667MHz depending on single or dual rank and slot assignments.
3rd Gen - 2667-2933MHz depending on single or dual rank and slot assignments.

Don't confuse single/dual rank with single/dual channel, they are different. Rank is the way the IC chips are arranged on the DIMM, channel is the way the DIMM's are arranged on the mobo.

That's what you'll get with 4x sticks IF you can get successful integration of 2x seperate kits. It's possible to OC higher than those values, but stability is a serious gamble.

Dec 8, 2019

What MB do you use? Maybe its cause of the mainboard . . .

Dec 8, 2019
honestly....go AMD ryzen.

Just for fact that Intel seems to have new security flaws monthly that require more patches to fix that decrease performance.

Thoguh iirc Zen3 should be early 2020 so might wanna hold off til then.

That is a thought too, though, new 4000 series won't be up until July-August . . . So not sure, waiting is an option . . .I dont know :))))

Dec 8, 2019
That's true, waiting, means never buying anything 😂😂😂 It's true that AMD needs some refinement and maybe the 4000 series will get that and maybe have even less issues to none, but rumour has it that it will only be a slight freq boost and slightly better IPC ! So maybe the difference will not be so big.

AMD RYZEN 4000 SERIES:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ryzen...et-AM5-to-debut-with-Ryzen-5000.446653.0.html

According to sources " Zen 3-based Ryzen 4000 is touted to offer anywhere between 8 to 15% IPC gains and moderately higher clocks over the current Ryzen 3000 lineup "

Well I don't agree with the "AMD needs more refinement". Can AMD improve further on what they have now, of course.

Most people forget intels been refining the core architecture for over a decade. AMD launched the first Ryzen in 2017, and by today (less than 3 years) is already on pair or better than Intel on gaming, and exceed Intel in most, if not all productivity workloads.
Keep in mind that for newer games a Ryzen 5 1600 from 2017 will be better than the Core i5 7600 and that was the first gen Ryzen vs a 7th gen Core CPU.

So yeah AMD can get better, but holding because some people had or still have issues is really dumb. People with Intels CPU also had and have issues. PC are complex machines with lots of diferent parts from a lot of brand and models from all places in the world. Don't look for perfection, or you will be looking forever.

Then again is your choice.

Cheers!

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
What MB do you use? Maybe its cause of the mainboard . . .
it worked fine on my gigabyte b350, it could maybe be the board..I upgraded the 350 because two of the ram slots weren't working and just wanted a better model to the b450 Aorus pro wifi..put in two more sticks of ram and xmp settings kept giving me blue screens..I had posted something a while ago about it and they were telling me that ryzen had stability issues with 4 slots of ram and worked better with 2 sticks for xmp is what people were saying..maybe with newer chips/boards it's gotten better, but I still can't overclock my ram anymore wo the bluescreens lol

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Just a heads up, if you tried adding an additional 16gb to your existing 16gb that could be your problem right there. Combining RAM that was purchased separately, even the exact same model, can cause issues no matter your CPU. And running 4 sticks is generally harder than 2 (i.e. getting 2x16gb may be more amenable than 4x8GB).

Ryzen memory compatibility has also improved a fair deal since 1st gen.

yeah it's so picky, I got the exact same ram that I put in before and yeah blue screens..it worked so well with just the 2 sticks running in xmp, now I have my ram set to like 2400..I should of bought a good nvme ssd instead of more ram lol

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
yeah it's so picky, I got the exact same ram that I put in before and yeah blue screens..it worked so well with just the 2 sticks running in xmp, now I have my ram set to like 2400..I should of bought a good nvme ssd instead of more ram lol

It's always a risk that you have to run lower speeds and/or loose timings when you pair separately purchased RAM. It should always work at platform default speeds though.

Multiple sticks of RAM are always binned together to ensure they work together at rated speeds. Different kits are binned separately. Its not to say it doesn't sometime work, but there's just no guarantees.

Dec 8, 2019
It's always a risk that you have to run lower speeds and/or loose timings when you pair separately purchased RAM. It should always work at platform default speeds though.

Multiple sticks of RAM are always binned together to ensure they work together at rated speeds. Different kits are binned separately. Its not to say it doesn't sometime work, but there's just no guarantees.

Agree !

I have a PC at my music studio and it has 2 different kits/specs of 16GB RAM DDR3 and the second kitt (8Gb 1600mhz) that I bought later, runs at the speeds of the first one 1333mhz. It's ture I never tried to OC them. I'm not into OC and I prefer stability, rather then screwing smth up :D So I was happy they run at 1333mhz anyway. Not a big performance differences via 1600mhz

Uuu, GREAT NEWS ! Intel Comet-Lake is almost here !!!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/i...-how-the-cpus-might-compare-to-amd-ryzen-3000

What so you guys think? 😬 Shall we dream big? 😂

If you wana dream big theres one real choice today, don´'t need to wait, is called Ryzen 9 3950X.
But feel free to buy any brand you want. I choose depending on budget and performance. Im not a fanboy. When Intel get some good product on the market at a reasonable price I will go back to them (as long as its worth it over AMD).

Uuu, GREAT NEWS ! Intel Comet-Lake is almost here !!!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/i...-how-the-cpus-might-compare-to-amd-ryzen-3000

What so you guys think? 😬 Shall we dream big? 😂

I'd totally wait to see what it offers, but positively do not let this marketing influence current buy decisions.

Intel is notoriously famous for teasers and ghost releases in attempts to freeze buying decisions when they just don't have real, performant products to bring to market. With billions to spend to preserve market share while down, you can bet Intel will spend a lot of it on these and even more sketch tactics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINDw7zH5dk

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
I'm kind of decided to go with either Ryzen 7 3700x or 2700x but Intel is gonna have to fight back and I'm really curious to see the retribution 😬

I agree that Intel has a good marketing, but seeing as they lost some ground to AMD, I believe that we are at war gents !

May the best side win ! 💪🤗😀