[SOLVED] Intel vs AMD for 4K Gaming in 2020, i7-9700K vs Ryzen 7 3700x or i5-9600K vs i5-8400, nVidia vs Radeon and Much More!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 8, 2019
Cheers all !

2019 is almost over and I AM GOING CRAZY reading forums, reviews and watching videos and benchmarks for MONTHS NOW !

I need A SOLID CPU AND MOTHERBOARD FOR GAMING. So I would much appreciate your help.

I'm usually watching movies, tv series or playing games on my 55" Oled TV at 1080p (So im stuck at this resolution until later nex year, when I can afford to buy a new 4K TV and GPU)

I was this close to go for a Ryzen 7 3700x, but then I read hundreds of forums of desperate people that have so many problems with either the BIOS of the motherboards, the CPU, the software, windows, or even random issues like crashing, freezing, resetting, boot failure and so on . . .

I mean, there are so many problems with AMD even in 2020 that I cant believe . . .

I have been a Intel owner for at least 13 years or more and I NEVER HAD ISSUES LIKE AMD !

No, I'm not a fanboy but I value stability and compatibility the most !

Oh, intending to go 4K in 2020 also so future proofing would be nice, specially cause I intend to keep the CPU for 3 to 5 years.

Budget: I could stretch for the top CPU's, but giving the fact that I basically don't do any work and I mostly game on the PC, would be nice to allocate some money in a good GPU for 4K future proof !

MY BUILD WILL BE:

ASUS MOTHERBOARD (Most likely ) ??

32GB OF RAM G.SKILL 3600Mhz

GTX 1060 6GB ( I'm stuck with for now, but will UPGRADE TO A 2080 SUPER, somewhere in 2020 after the prices drop down)

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE BETWEEN:

Intel I7 9700k vs Ryzen 7 3700x
or
Intel i59600k vs i5 8400

P.S - I now have a i7 7700 (NON K) with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB

IS IT WORTH UPGRADING ( The CPU+Motherboard+RAM) FOR 4K AND FUTURE PROOFING ? Or should I buy a GTX 2070 or 2080 SUPER and stick with my current config?

Thank you kindly !

Solution
I don't think everyone needs to be so quick to dismiss the OP's concerns about AM4. I'm am one of if not the biggest AM4 enthusiasts that lurk's these forums. I've built 20+ AM4 systems in the last year. I've owned over 30 AM4 motherboards, over a dozen 1st gen ryzens, eight 2nd gen ryzens, and six 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's at one time or another. I've spent countless hours testing, tuning, and building systems on this platform. Countless more hours reading and researching everything there is to know about them. I've assisted many with troubleshooting issues on these systems.

I've never had any memory issues with first and second gen Ryzen systems with a properly working memory kit. I've never had one of these systems not post and run its...
Dec 8, 2019
Awaiting for your thoughts guys
$115 for an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

The standard MSI B450 Tomahawk was the go-to for Ryzen 2xxx CPUs. Currently the #1 most popular motherboard on PCPartPicker, including both AMD and Intel boards.

• The MAX includes a larger bios ROM size. The normal Tomahawk will only support 3rd gen with a simpler looking lite bios. The MAX gets the full color and pretty BIOS when running a 3rd gen CPU.
  • Out of the box 3rd generation AMD Ryzen CPU support without the need for any BIOS update. Most normal Tomahawks should have a 3rd gen supported BIOS at this point, however.
I saw some testing and the MSI B450 Tomahawk was able to handle the beastly Ryzen 9 3950x 16 core with acceptable VRM temperatures and no issues. The B450 Tomahawk MAX will perform equally.

I cannot find that video for some reason.

And if $115 is too much money:
MSI B450 A PRO MAX
This board has identical power delivery to the Tomahawk Max, and both have out of the box 3rd generation AMD Ryzen CPUs. The B450 A PRO max and B450 Tomahawk MAX will perform identically, but the looks are different.

Very nice info ! Thank you !

I know that Tomahawk MAX is one of the best, cause I had my mind set on it already :D

How do you think it will perform versus the almost double the money ASUS TUF Gaming Plus X570 ???

Will it be a big difference in performance?

How about th RAM OC ? Will the Tomahawk MAX be able to OC at 360 Mhz ? I mean it is marketed at 4133Mhz, but u know how marketing is . . .

It can support 3600mhz. You should be able to get there, but maybe not. 3200mhz should be no problem.

THe X570 would have PCIE4 support, support faster ram easier, and probably support high end CPUs a wee but better.

Is that worth double? Up to you.

Personally, here is what id do.

Buy the most expensive GPU you can afford and enjoy it with your I7.

Then when you can, buy new board and 3700x or whatever is new at that time.

Reactions: Zadkhiel
Dec 8, 2019

Wow ! I saw the review and I am speechless . . .

I mean, I knew the Tomahawk is a good board but, I can't believe it. . . It's on par with Gigabyte Aorus X570, which is one of the best motherboards out there !!!

I believe that paying double for an Asus TUF Gaming Plus, just to have PCI 4.0 and higher clock speed Ram ( which I will never use, I'm not into overcloking), is not justified !

MSI really did it(though im not a fan of the brand) and I feel that( as the review stated) Tomahawk MAX is the winner and can hold up to Ryzen 9 with no issues.

So, I feel that I am closing in on a conclusion:

If I will upgrade now, this would be a solid configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk MAX

RAM: G.Skill 16 or 32Gb of ram 3600 Mhz ( I would go 32 just to be safe for the future)

If just buying a GPU:

RTX 2070 Super, though if on a budget, I won't exclude the RX 5700XT 😬

Not decided yet, but hopefully I will make up my mind before Christmas !

I will post here my progress anyway 😊

Last edited:
only downfall to ryzen I've seen is when you try to run xmp with 32gb of ram you will get stability issues..I had a 1600x with 16gb ram overclocked in xmp worked fine for years, upgraded to 32gb and couldn't run 32gb of ram anymore wo bluescreens..if you go with 32gb of ram I think ryzen has some stability issues when overclocking the ram..something to keep in mind..

That was 1st gen.

Dec 8, 2019
What's sad is the $115 b450 tomahak absolutely kills the $150+ MSI X570 gaming edge wifi with vrm performance.

It's more then that, the Tomahawk MAX surpassed the Gigabyte Aorus X570 in almost every Benchmark !!! OMG :O

That board truly smashes everything, especially at that price range !!! GREAT JOB MSI !!! :D

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's more then that, the Tomahawk MAX surpassed the Gigabyte Aorus X570 in almost every Benchmark !!! OMG :O

That board truly smashes everything, especially at that price range !!! GREAT JOB MSI !!! :D
Which review(s) are you looking at?

For the most part motherboard benchmarks are within the margin of error of one another, unless one allows you to overclock CPU and/or RAM further than another (in which case that motherboard would have predictably better benchmark results).

Which review(s) are you looking at?

For the most part motherboard benchmarks are within the margin of error of one another, unless one allows you to overclock CPU and/or RAM further than another (in which case that motherboard would have predictably better benchmark results).
The one hardware unboxed comparison i linked showing the B450 tomahawks vrm performance with a 3950x.

Dec 8, 2019
Cheers all !

I was this close to buy the Ryzen 7 3700x and then it hit me !!!

RYZEN PROCESSORS HAVE PINS ON THEIR BACK !!! OMFG ??? :O

I AM SO UPSET ON AMD !!! INTEL DOESN'T USE PINS SINCE YEARS AND YEARS AGO !!! WTF AMD ??? WHY ARE YOU SO FRICKING OLD AND UNEVOLVED ?

AMD went back in time, like 10 years . . . I mean really? And yeah, you can say that " I'm picky " . but frankly, I had a few problems with processors that had pins in the past, one of which, I lost a lot of money, because I bought it with bent pins, returned it and didn't get my full refund ( this is way back, when return policy did not exist ) . . .

SO I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT WITH AMD ANYMORE, SO MANY ISSUES AND THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE, PLUS THEY ARE WAAAAY TO OLD FOR THIS ERA !!!

So I have decided to wait until end of February, beginning of March, when, I will be able to buy the whole set: CPU+MB+RAM+GPU !!!

Also, I want to wait for the CES, plus, in April, new INTEL i7 10 series with 8 cores and 16 threads will be released.

I will post soon, a list with pros and cons for AMD vs INTEL, which, in my opinion, is crucial for purchasing from these two brands :D

I find no issues with pins on the CPU.

If your remotely careful, which you should be with any CPU, there is no issues.

Sure, an LGA CPU is harder to break, but the motherboard has delicate pins instead.

So its either have a delicate CPU or delicate motherboard.

Plenty of people that own ryzen and have no issues with pins.

Cheers all !

I AM SO UPSET ON AMD !!! INTEL DOESN'T USE PINS SINCE YEARS AND YEARS AGO !!! WTF AMD ??? WHY ARE YOU SO FRICKING OLD AND UNEVOLVED ?

AMD went back in time, like 10 years . . . I mean really? And yeah, you can say that " I'm picky " . but frankly, I had a few problems with processors that had pins in the past, one of which, I lost a lot of money, because I bought it with bent pins, returned it and didn't get my full refund ( this is way back, when return policy did not exist ) . . .

SO I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT WITH AMD ANYMORE, SO MANY ISSUES AND THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE, PLUS THEY ARE WAAAAY TO OLD FOR THIS ERA !!!

So I have decided to wait until end of February, beginning of March, when, I will be able to buy the whole set: CPU+MB+RAM+GPU !!!

Also, I want to wait for the CES, plus, in April, new INTEL i7 10 series with 8 cores and 16 threads will be released.

I will post soon, a list with pros and cons for AMD vs INTEL, which, in my opinion, is crucial for purchasing from these two brands :D

We wait with bated breath for your excellent, professional and in-depth write up on the pros and cons of AMD vs. Intel CPUs. /sarcasm

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
It’s not worth buying a Z390 motherboard as you are buying into a platform with no future. If you are going with Intel, wait until the 10th gen coming out next year. Otherwise go with Ryzen. And how you considered faster refresh rate rather than higher resolution? I recently bought a 1080p 144hz monitor and have been blown away by how smooth games feel at higher FPS.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Cheers all !

So this whole thread was you trolling? Says a lot ... pins ... really?

Last edited:
Cheers all !

Really? pins are an issue for you? .... Are you an intel employee with lots of time to waste and nothing more productive to do?

Reactions: drivinfast247
Dec 8, 2019
It’s not worth buying a Z390 motherboard as you are buying into a platform with no future. If you are going with Intel, wait until the 10th gen coming out next year. Otherwise go with Ryzen. And how you considered faster refresh rate rather than higher resolution? I recently bought a 1080p 144hz monitor and have been blown away by how smooth games feel at higher FPS.

That's what I am planning to do, wait unti thel 10th gen comes out ! And yeah, I will buy a 120Hz 65" 4K Oled next year as well, so hi refresh rate is nice as well, but I dont play FPS. I am more into story driven games like The Witcher 3, Diablo 3( 4 is already in production) or horror games like Visage, Resident Evil and so on . . .

So a high refresh rate would not help me too much for these type of games :)

Dec 8, 2019
We wait with bated breath for your excellent, professional and in-depth write up on the pros and cons of AMD vs. Intel CPUs. /sarcasm

Never said I am a professional or an expert so your sarcasm is not appreciated . . . I feel like there are a lot of AMD fanboys on this forum.

I will state pros and cons based on my experience with both, since 22 years ago (or more), when I had my first CPU and based on hundreds of reviews, tests and forums that I have watched and read, plus my recent experience with NVIDIA and RADEON cards.

You are free not to read, or reply to this thread, If you are not interested or making fun of people...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why wait for this? It's just going to be another 14nm++++++ iterative release with maybe a slight clock speed bump being the only thing that differentiates it from the current 9th gen i9s. The only somewhat interesting aspects of the 10 series that I'm aware of are rumors of the addition of hyperthreading to more (all?) of their CPUs, and a new 10 core CPU. Neither of which apply if you're looking at a 8C/16T CPU.

Dec 8, 2019
So this whole thread was you trolling? Says a lot ... pins ... really?

No trolling, just had several negative experience with them. BUT THAT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON HERE.

I just fell AMD has too many issues for my taste. End of story. That doesn't mean I do not appreciate the answers and the advice u guys give me. For what it's worth, it made me decide that AMD is not for me . . .At least not now . . .

Dec 8, 2019
As I said earlier, A LIST OF SEVERAL PROS AND CONS AND SOME OF THE ANSWERS FORM SOME OF YOU GUYS ( THE ONES ON TOPIC, NOT THE SARCASTIC AMD FANBOYS ) made me decide to stick with Intel for now . . .But a lot could change in the future . . .