[SOLVED] Intel vs AMD for 4K Gaming in 2020, i7-9700K vs Ryzen 7 3700x or i5-9600K vs i5-8400, nVidia vs Radeon and Much More!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 8, 2019
Cheers all !

2019 is almost over and I AM GOING CRAZY reading forums, reviews and watching videos and benchmarks for MONTHS NOW !

I need A SOLID CPU AND MOTHERBOARD FOR GAMING. So I would much appreciate your help.

I'm usually watching movies, tv series or playing games on my 55" Oled TV at 1080p (So im stuck at this resolution until later nex year, when I can afford to buy a new 4K TV and GPU)

I was this close to go for a Ryzen 7 3700x, but then I read hundreds of forums of desperate people that have so many problems with either the BIOS of the motherboards, the CPU, the software, windows, or even random issues like crashing, freezing, resetting, boot failure and so on . . .

I mean, there are so many problems with AMD even in 2020 that I cant believe . . .

I have been a Intel owner for at least 13 years or more and I NEVER HAD ISSUES LIKE AMD !

No, I'm not a fanboy but I value stability and compatibility the most !

Oh, intending to go 4K in 2020 also so future proofing would be nice, specially cause I intend to keep the CPU for 3 to 5 years.

Budget: I could stretch for the top CPU's, but giving the fact that I basically don't do any work and I mostly game on the PC, would be nice to allocate some money in a good GPU for 4K future proof !

MY BUILD WILL BE:

ASUS MOTHERBOARD (Most likely ) ??

32GB OF RAM G.SKILL 3600Mhz

GTX 1060 6GB ( I'm stuck with for now, but will UPGRADE TO A 2080 SUPER, somewhere in 2020 after the prices drop down)

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE BETWEEN:

Intel I7 9700k vs Ryzen 7 3700x
or
Intel i59600k vs i5 8400

P.S - I now have a i7 7700 (NON K) with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB

IS IT WORTH UPGRADING ( The CPU+Motherboard+RAM) FOR 4K AND FUTURE PROOFING ? Or should I buy a GTX 2070 or 2080 SUPER and stick with my current config?

Thank you kindly !

Solution
I don't think everyone needs to be so quick to dismiss the OP's concerns about AM4. I'm am one of if not the biggest AM4 enthusiasts that lurk's these forums. I've built 20+ AM4 systems in the last year. I've owned over 30 AM4 motherboards, over a dozen 1st gen ryzens, eight 2nd gen ryzens, and six 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's at one time or another. I've spent countless hours testing, tuning, and building systems on this platform. Countless more hours reading and researching everything there is to know about them. I've assisted many with troubleshooting issues on these systems.

I've never had any memory issues with first and second gen Ryzen systems with a properly working memory kit. I've never had one of these systems not post and run its...
Dec 8, 2019
Would it be a big difference on gaming, if I go for Ryzen 7 2700x or Ryzen 5 3600x with a Tomakwak MAX versus a 7300x with a Asus Tuf?
Bearing in kind that both, the processor and the mainboard will cost almost double in my country, rather then the less expensive 2700x and MSI Tomahwak.

Also a few years future proofed would b nice

L.E - Looking at the prices now for 2700x and Tomahwak, I cant believe it ! It really is a steal !

Would it be a big difference on gaming, if I go for Ryzen 7 2700x or Ryzen 5 3600x with a Tomakwak MAX versus a 7300x with a Asus Tuf?
Bearing in kind that both, the processor and the mainboard will cost almost double in my country, rather then the less expensive 2700x and MSI Tomahwak.

L.E - Looking at the prices now for 2700x and Tomahwak, I cant believe it ! It really is a steal !

If you are only gaming both the 2700X and 3600X are good.

If you are going to stay with 1080p60 until next year again there is no reason for you to upgrade at all until next year.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

I would find it hard to pass up the 2700x deal if price is a major concern of yours. If you limited to 60hz on your current screen and will be at 4k on the new one - the 2700x will game just as well ... plus you still might get the oppurtunity to still upgrade just the CPU with Zen3.

I switched rom Intel to R7 1700 first gen, and although my use case is different (lots of mulithreaded work, less games), I am 100% happy with that switch and it still is a great processor to this day, that I have no issues with at all.

But I do somewhat agree with Zizo007, you may not even need to upgrade CPU yet ... 7700 isn't a bad processor at all, just buy a new GPU and try that out first.

Dec 8, 2019
I would find it hard to pass up the 2700x deal if price is a major concern of yours. If you limited to 60hz on your current screen and will be at 4k on the new one - the 2700x will game just as well ... plus you still might get the oppurtunity to still upgrade just the CPU with Zen3.

I switched rom Intel to R7 1700 first gen, and although my use case is different (lots of mulithreaded work, less games), I am 100% happy with that switch and it still is a great processor to this day, that I have no issues with at all.

But I do somewhat agree with Zizo007, you may not even need to upgrade CPU yet ... 7700 isn't a bad processor at all, just buy a new GPU and try that out first.

Yes ! 2700x now is literally half of 3700x ! Same for Tomahwak MAX board vs Asus Tuf x570

That would mean, saving around 300$ to put aside for a 2070 Super or maybe even stretching for a 2080 super next year 😱

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Yes ! 2700x now is literally half of 3700x ! Same for Tomahwak MAX board vs Asus Tuf x570

That would mean, saving around 300$ to put aside for a 2070 Super or maybe even stretching for a 2080 super next year 😱

Here's the problem with that though ... with a 1060, that you have now, you'll see very little to no improvement in gaming by upgrading the CPU first. You'll have hugely more multithreaded abilities, and you might have less stutter in some games (lack of threads can cause stutter in some games), but that's probably about it until you get the new GPU.

Whereas if you buy the new GPU now, sure your 7700 might choke a little bit here and there, but you'll still be seeing substantially higher FPS overall with the better GPU.

You can then replace the CPU a little later, eliminate the choking from the 7700, get a little better performance, but then have something better for the future ... by then maybe the 3600 / 3700x will be a good price in your country :)

Just something to consider ...

Reactions: Zadkhiel
Dec 8, 2019
Here's the problem with that though ... with a 1060, that you have now, you'll see very little to no improvement in gaming by upgrading the CPU first. You'll have hugely more multithreaded abilities, and your games might have less stutter in some games (lack of threads can cause stutter in some games), but that's probably about it until you get the new GPU.

Whereas if you buy the new GPU now, sure your 7700 might choke a little bit here and there, but you'll still be seeing substantially higher FPS overall with the better GPU.

You can then replace the CPU a little later, eliminate the choking from the 7700, get a little better performance, but then have something better for the future ... by then maybe the 3600 / 3700x will be a good price in your country :)

I see where you're going. . .

You did not mention the 2700x at all, you dont find it attractive? I really feel it has more value than the 3600x, even if 3600x is slightly better, its still only 6 cores 12 th . . .

I still feel that 2700x can last for 3-5 years at least, as we move on with resolution and we become more GPU bound.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I see where you're going. . .

You did not mention the 2700x at all, you dont find it attractive? I really feel it has more value than the 3600x, even if 3600x is slightly better, its still only 6 cores 12 th . . .

I still feel that 2700x can last for 3-5 years at least, as we move on with resolution and we become more GPU bound.

Oh I do find the 2700x attractive at current prices, don't get me wrong ... its just that if you buy a new GPU now, start saving for a new platform, by the time that rolls around the prices on the zen2 parts may have dropped to the point where it makes sense to buy that -- I don't think AMD is making the 2700x anymore so the stock will run out at some point.

I was just saying if you want instant results in improved game performance, a new CPU won't give you a whole lot there except maybe less stutters and better 1% lows. Whereas if you get GPU now, you will have instant results in FPS and quality settings improvements (you'll be able to crank up that AA for example).

So its up to you -- futureproof your platform now, do the GPU later, or GPU now, and platform later and maybe not get such a smoking deal as you could right now. Pros and cons both ways ...

Edit: in re-thinking this, maybe it doesn't matter much ... with the 60hz cap on your screen a new GPU won't net you any useable FPS extra until you move to 4k anyway ... so the only advantage would be game quality settings.

So its a toss up ... maybe taking advantage of that 2700x deal now would actually be best ... Just don't expect a massive improvement in game performance until you get the new GPU.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
Oh I do find the 2700x attractive at current prices, don't get me wrong ... its just that if you buy a new GPU now, start saving for a new platform, by the time that rolls around the prices on the zen2 parts may have dropped to the point where it makes sense to buy that -- I don't think AMD is making the 2700x anymore so the stock will run out at some point.

I was just saying if you want instant results in improved game performance, a new CPU won't give you a whole lot there except maybe less stutters and better 1% lows. Whereas if you get GPU now, you will have instant results in FPS and quality settings improvements (you'll be able to crank up that AA for example).

So its up to you -- futureproof your platform now, do the GPU later, or GPU now, and platform later and maybe not get such a smoking deal as you could right now. Pros and cons both ways ...

Edit: in re-thinking this, maybe it doesn't matter much ... with the 60hz cap on your screen a new GPU won't net you any useable FPS extra until you move to 4k anyway ... so the only advantage would be game quality settings.

So its a toss up ... maybe taking advantage of that 2700x deal now would actually be best ... Just don't expect a massive improvement in game performance until you get the new GPU.

When can we expect Nvidia to drop their prices?

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
When can we expect Nvidia to drop their prices?

HAAHAHAHAHA!! Good one! ;) Sorry, I'm being cynical ... but NVidia isn't really knowing for offering good prices on their stuff at all. But if you get the platform upgrade now, then save for maybe 4-6 months, you might be able to get a RTX 2xxx series card for a good price after the RTX 3xxxx launches, but knowing NVidia they'll just create another price tier above the 2xxx series and force people to pay more money like the did with the RTX series over GTX, and the 2xxx series prices will stay the same. I hope AMD launches more cards across the stack soon and forces better pricing on GPUs in general ... prices on GPUs are just ridiculous ...

Just keep your eyes peeled for retailer sales.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A new gpu isn't going to change fps at all. The only thing it'll change is detail levels at that fps. Fps is set by the cpu, not the gpu. If a gtx1060 can get 60fps at ultra on a 1080p monitor, a RTX2080ti will get exactly the same. It's only if the 1060 struggles with details, forcing lowering of settings to maintain 60fps that a stronger gpu will allow for raising them. But no matter what gpu is used, the cpu determines the fps level. Gpu just has to live up to that level, or fail.

At 1080p/60Hz it doesn't matter which is purchased first unless there's a deficeit. If the cpu can't put out high enough fps because of game code complexity, then a platform upgrade will help. If the cpu is good, but gpu is struggling to get decent details at a playable fps, then a gpu upgrade is warranted.

What kind of level of upgrade, 3600-2700x, B450 or X570 isn't all that important, what is important is that the level of upgrade be enough to match expectations. 4k OLED most likely 120Hz if it's LG, Samsung etc. That's going to require a 2080Super or 2080ti. Modern games, not much difference in 6/12 and 8/16, rather large difference in IPC, memory, future games requirements etc.

Dec 8, 2019
HAAHAHAHAHA!! Good one! ;) Sorry, I'm being cynical ... but NVidia isn't really knowing for offering good prices on their stuff at all. But if you get the platform upgrade now, then save for maybe 4-6 months, you might be able to get a RTX 2xxx series card for a good price after the RTX 3xxxx launches, but knowing NVidia they'll just create another price tier above the 2xxx series and force people to pay more money like the did with the RTX series over GTX, and the 2xxx series prices will stay the same. I hope AMD launches more cards across the stack soon and forces better pricing on GPUs in general ... prices on GPUs are just ridiculous ...

Just keep your eyes peeled for retailer sales.

Well, it's not entirely true, because last year a 1070 was at the price of a 2070 Super this year and so on...so...giving it enough time( over 6 months from the initial release of the product to 1 year), that is if you can wait that long (I have issues waiting:p ), you can get good deals for quite powerful GPU's. But then again, by the time we will have money for a RTX 2080 Super or Ti, Games will be so advanced, that it will not be enough to run them at ULTRA settings in 4K let's say . . .Or 8K, which is approaching fast . . .

So bottom line is, that we just can't keep out with the evolution of tech and they dont want us to be able to do that ! They just want to make money ! That's the whole point :)

Dec 8, 2019
I wanna thank the good people of Tom'sHardware Forum for all the great answers and for being prompt an professional !

I have to admit, I am and will remain a great fan of Tom'sHardware !!!

99% of my PC BUILDS were after Tom'sHardware reviews and tests ! :D

Now, on to the " issue " :)

I'm in a bit of a jam here

So as I see it now, it's like this:

1. If I buy a new GPU now( a 2070 Super, for example), I will not be able to use it's full potential anyway, because Im suck with 1080p anyway, cause of my OLED Display.

2. If I buy a CPU+MB+RAM now, it will make no difference, because again, it's all about the GPU and so, as many of you very well mentioned, I will see no increase performance, at least not until I buy a GPU as well.
Well its not true, I might see some performance, because my I7 7700, struggles a bit on every day usage( I usually download, surf the web, and open some other applications during the same time, or just playing games and downloading at the same time, which results in pretty bad stutter ...). Actually, I can't even download an play at the same time, not if I want the game to be playable !

3. If I keep my I7 7700 and put all my money into the GPU ( Probably if I really stretch hard I could get a 2080 Super), by the time I have the money to buy a new 4K display as well, that benefits from the 2080 Super, would be too late and games will probably not run at ULTRA settings . . .

So basically, if I buy a GPU now, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM IT, but being stuck at 1080p would not help at all . . .

I would most likely benefit more from a CPU+MB+RAM upgrade now I believe, cause I had enough of stuttering when I open several web sites and downloading and maybe watching a 4K or a 1080p Bluray at the same time . . .

And maybe I can sell my current MB+I7700, get some more money and use it for a later, but well thought GPU buy.
Best will be to buy the new GPU, when I switch to 4K, that way, I can buy the BEST GPU( THEN) and benefit from it( plus better prices) rather then buying it now and become OBSOLETE . . .

What do you guys think is my best move? :D

Dec 8, 2019
Selling your current CPU and board should help pay for a 4k display. Maybe even pay for it completely.

So you could get a 4k display and CPU+Mobo now. Then just upgrade GPU later on. Seems to make a lot of sense.

No it doesn't

The cheapest 4K 65" OLED on the market right now, in my country is 2000$, RTX 2080 SUPER - 900$, Ryzen 7 2700x - 200$, MSI Tomahawk MAX - 130$, 32GB RAM G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600 C17 - 165$

Sooooo....IT's a <Mod Edit> load of money :))))

My budget is around - 800$ and maybe I could stretch another 100 . . .

Depending on how much I would get if i sell my current OLED and The MB and RAM...I don't know...It's tight :)))

Last edited by a moderator:

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I wanna thank the good people of Tom'sHardware Forum for all the great answers and for being prompt an professional !

I have to admit, I am and will remain a great fan of Tom'sHardware !!!

99% of my PC BUILDS were after Tom'sHardware reviews and tests ! :D

Now, on to the " issue " :)

I'm in a bit of a jam here

So as I see it now, it's like this:

1. If I buy a new GPU now( a 2070 Super, for example), I will not be able to use it's full potential anyway, because Im suck with 1080p anyway, cause of my OLED Display.

2. If I buy a CPU+MB+RAM now, it will make no difference, because again, it's all about the GPU and so, as many of you very well mentioned, I will see no increase performance, at least not until I buy a GPU as well.
Well its not true, I might see some performance, because my I7 7700, struggles a bit on every day usage( I usually download, surf the web, and open some other applications during the same time, or just playing games and downloading at the same time, which results in pretty bad stutter ...). Actually, I can't even download an play at the same time, not if I want the game to be playable !

3. If I keep my I7 7700 and put all my money into the GPU ( Probably if I really stretch hard I could get a 2080 Super), by the time I have the money to buy a new 4K display as well, that benefits from the 2080 Super, would be too late and games will probably not run at ULTRA settings . . .

So basically, if I buy a GPU now, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM IT, but being stuck at 1080p would not help at all . . .

I would most likely benefit more from a CPU+MB+RAM upgrade now I believe, cause I had enough of stuttering when I open several web sites and downloading and maybe watching a 4K or a 1080p Bluray at the same time . . .

And maybe I can sell my current MB+I7700, get some more money and use it for a later, but well thought GPU buy.
Best will be to buy the new GPU, when I switch to 4K, that way, I can buy the BEST GPU( THEN) and benefit from it( plus better prices) rather then buying it now and become OBSOLETE . . .

What do you guys think is my best move? :D

If right now, youre ok with fixing stuttering for now over FPS and quality gain, and want to be able to properly multitask ... do the platform first. AMD processors are a huge bang for buck right now, and Navi is good ...

Navi2 will be better, perhaps by the time you need a new GPU Navi2 will be out and either that might appeal, or maybe NVidia will have more competitive value in light of Navi2. 1060 isn't a bad card, adequate for 1080p, and a new CPU should give you slight FPS boost, but don't expect much there, but the stuttering will be gone and you'll be able to do stuff in the background with no impact on your game.

So that's my final suggestion. :)

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Just because someone is asking that doesn't mean someone will pay ... you can get a R5 3600 for less than that, no one will pay $250 dollars for a 7700 ... $100-150 maybe, but not $250.
Check the ebay sales trends and you'll see. People are willing to pay ridiculous money for i7. 6700/7700 both k and non. 200 easy. Would sell almost instantly. Why, I don't really know, but they do. Not every one is tech savvy and in the know. I searched high and low for a used 7700k before my work recycled pcs and I got a 7700 free. 250 plus and selling.

I'd also recommend the core upgrade now, as it seems within your budget. And should help ease your stuttering issue that your having. Do that for now and start saving all you can for that 4k and gpu combo.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Check the ebay sales trends and you'll see. People are willing to pay ridiculous money for i7. 6700/7700 both k and non. 200 easy. Would sell almost instantly. Why, I don't really know, but they do. Not every one is tech savvy and in the know. I searched high and low for a used 7700k before my work recycled pcs and I got a 7700 free. 250 plus and selling.

I'd also recommend the core upgrade now, as it seems within your budget. And should help ease your stuttering issue that your having. Do that for now and start saving all you can for that 4k and gpu combo.

Well personally I wouldn't feel right about completely ripping off uniformed people ... who knows maybe I am a dying breed of people that still have a shred of decency left in their bones ... sigh.

Well personally I wouldn't feel right about completely ripping off uniformed people ... who knows maybe I am a dying breed of people that still have a shred of decency left in their bones ... sigh.
I completely agree, but unfortunately happens all the time. 6 and 7th gen i5s are still going for over 100, closer to 150. One reason I never bought a used one. Got lucky, scored a free one!! Still have my 6600k, list too low and people think something's wrong. Don't feel it's worth what its selling for, so I save it.

That's why forums like this are so great, IF people look.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm kinda surprised this sort of stuff would be an issue for an i7 7700 with 16gb of RAM to be honest. Do you have an SSD?

Last edited: