[SOLVED] intel vs amd - what are the differences?

danielmc24

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
hi all,
So I'm still new to building pc and wanted to know. What's the difference in Intel vs AMD. I know some chips have more cores or threads and need different motherboards etc. But like is there any difference on how they run or operate? Like once their installed and pc running is there any difference at all or will i even tell the difference once windows is running?

Solution
Using at least an i5 or Ryzen 5 from the last 2-3 years/ 2-3 generations, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference at the desktop experience, or even if gaming, most are hard to distinguish a noticeable difference at 100 fps vs. 130 fps, assuming you are gaming with at mid-range GPU at 1080P. (Certainly, PCI-e 3.0 vs. 4.0 and now 5.0 but without any valid GPUs or drives to interface at that speed, the perceived user differences are usually nil)

In short, find a 12600K or 5600X , pair it with a decent GPU at least as good as an RTX2060 Super, and 98% of most folks will be happy for from 3-5 years if gaming, and, longer if just surfing and reading -emails, etc...

(Heck, I'm still happy on the now 4.8 year old 7700K and a 5 year...
D

Deleted member 362816

Depends on what you are doing with the pc. For an average user mainstream products from both sides are pretty good. Some are better for specific tasks.

Price vs performance AMD is often cheaper but that is starting to disappear as know they have gained more market share then they used to have.

As for how they work in general simple answer they operate the same on eye level.

Using at least an i5 or Ryzen 5 from the last 2-3 years/ 2-3 generations, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference at the desktop experience, or even if gaming, most are hard to distinguish a noticeable difference at 100 fps vs. 130 fps, assuming you are gaming with at mid-range GPU at 1080P. (Certainly, PCI-e 3.0 vs. 4.0 and now 5.0 but without any valid GPUs or drives to interface at that speed, the perceived user differences are usually nil)

In short, find a 12600K or 5600X , pair it with a decent GPU at least as good as an RTX2060 Super, and 98% of most folks will be happy for from 3-5 years if gaming, and, longer if just surfing and reading -emails, etc...

(Heck, I'm still happy on the now 4.8 year old 7700K and a 5 year old GTX1060!)

Solution
hi all,
So I'm still new to building pc and wanted to know. What's the difference in Intel vs AMD. I know some chips have more cores or threads and need different motherboards etc. But like is there any difference on how they run or operate? Like once their installed and pc running is there any difference at all or will i even tell the difference once windows is running?
At this stage, there isnt much difference. It all comes down to platform cost and whether you want an iGPU for debugging or not.

Half of what you will read about Intel/AMD will be rank tribalism under another name. It's pitiful, but it has always been that way. Forums are littered with it. Whataboutery is the rule of the day.

There aren't any flattering reasons for it, just as there are none in political and religious discussions. Humans have defects.

Do your best not to go down that road.