Intel vs amd

BlackDvilos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
hello, its my first thread on this forum and i wanted to ask you guys a question :D
i can buy a gaming pc with fallowing specs :
xfx 7850 1gb
intel i5 3350p
Asrock s1155 B75M-GL R2.0 mbo
corsair vengance 1600mhz 4gb 1 stick (later gona buy 1 more)
ocz 500w power suply
thermaltake v4 case or something simular
a cheap dvd burner
and a caviar blue 500gb hdd

or a :
vtx3d 7850 2gb extream edition
amd fx 6300
Asrock 990FX Extreme3
and evrything else wuld be same

the rig wuld be pretty much strictly for gaming and maybe a minecraft server for 2/3 frends to play on with me.
i dont edit videos or anytihing like that, i just play games basicly :pt1cable:
so idk what to take, i mean yeah the intel might be a better procesor but than i need to take a lower end graphic card to fit the budget, and so on ...

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
You have cracked an age old (decade actually) question.

Ford or Chevy… err, I mean Intel or AMD.

Intel processors, at least at the i5 level, are more efficient and use less power than AMD processors at a similar price point.

This means that a $220 i5 will perform (slightly) better than a $220 AMD chip. But the chips you quoting a $139 hex core AMD processor versus a $179 i5 quad core base model.

The i5 wins at stock speeds. The i5 cannot be over clocked and has no on board graphics (what the P means). If you are going to over clock the FX6300 it will top out slightly ahead of the i5. But we are not talking about a great difference, if you are not benchmarking you might not even notice the difference.

The B75 motherboard is for business class computers (that’s what the B means). It can be over clocked but will not compare to a Z77 class motherboard, which can be had at $10 extra . The Z77 will support 1833 and 2100 speed memory and PCIe 3.0 as well as the normal USB and SATA 3.0. Z77 will have higher buss speeds and will perform slightly (maybe even noticeably) better.

The 990 tops out at 1600 DDR3 and PCIe 2.1 If you want higher DDR3 and PCIe 3.0, go intel.

You will be able to play any game out there with either system. The AMD will cost slightly less but will eat a little more power (average extra $25 per year) and will require slightly better cooling, if over clocked. The intel will be cooler, eat less power and deliver slightly better frame rates on most games. The intel will last you longer before upgrade is needed (for Motherboard and CPU).

Your choice. Good luck with your build, if you have any issues, let us know.

What I would do, if you are worried about money, is go with an i3 3220($119 Tiger Direct) and a power color 7850 1 gb ($168 Newegg). That combo will perform well and be a bit less expensive than the AMD hex core and the XFX.