Intel vs i7 VS 2600

G

For non gaming self build, multi application use, PS use etc, which is the better between i7 and 2600?? Too much talk about overclocking does not help, a straight system use for reliability is all I need, with the ability to handle demading applications side by side.

Thanks all

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Well, 2600, 2600S, or 2600K and also compared to which current i7? Also keep in mind, if you buy a current i7, the 1156 and 1366 sockets will soon be obsolete already. So if you are planing to build an i7 system with 1156 or 1366 socket... you will have very limited or no future upgrades to your board.

Also the new sandybridge 2600's will have newer and better integrated graphics and most of the current motherboard controller funtions built in. Also, all 2600 models are 95W or less so far.

I asked myself these same questions... and I think I am going to wait for the new 1155 socket boards and CPU's to start selling for a few months before I decide... because if 1156 and 1366 are dead... I will be in a bad situation... just like I finally decided to nix all me Pentium 4's and Pentium D machines for the latest Core 2 chips... then they sharply discontinued the LGA775 platform... so far I am kind of skipping the i3,5,7 deal until they get the new sockets and boards worked out.

As for performance... just compare the i3-530 to the core 2 duo e7500... other than 1MB more cache and a few small details changed, that is why I am skipping this generation. They want you to keep buying the same crap in a new box. So I think waiting for the 2600 is better because the 1156 and 1366 are going away like the 775.

G

As for performance... just compare the i3-530 to the core 2 duo e7500... other than 1MB more cache and a few small details changed, that is why I am skipping this generation. They want you to keep buying the same crap in a new box. So I think waiting for the 2600 is better because the 1156 and 1366 are going away like the 775.

Many thanks.

Therein lies the crux of the dilema...because we can always wait a few months for prices to drop or for newer developments to drop into the market. However, when you need to get something going now, you need to drop for the best current option...

Thanks for your pointing out the socket board element, I never took that into consideration and will make that a highlight in choice. The price difference between the 2600 and i7 is also so small as to not help in choosing. It would be brilliant if even the model numbering could be geared more towards the sales side rather than technical dev side, making it much easier for ANYONE to see which is the latest cpu without needing to delve into tech research for days..

Thanks for your help.

saintjah

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Honestly you can pick up a 1156 system very cheap and not really be able to tell the difference except in your wallet. You cant really lose just waiting it out for the next gen of 2011 lineup, also, this is the initial release of the SB processors and ofcourse the next batch will have the next stepping, lower fab process (in theory) etc... As goes the way of technology.

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
the old i7's were modeled like this i7-950
the new i7's are modeled like this i7-2600K
The 2 at the beginning of the new ones denotes that it's seconds generation and the K on the end denotes that the multiplier is unlocked, AKA you can overclock it.
I would recommend getting a 1155 motherboard and a 2600K, it's an amazing processor for the price.