Question intel vs realteck

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Having a hard time finding a definite answer on just how noticeable it would be having a Realtek lan instead of intel, ie what you'd have to be doing to notice the difference.

The asus mobos I want are $200 and have Realtek lan and wireless. The gigabyte ones have intel lan, but no wireless, for same price.

I did buy an asus wifi card with BT.... but would be "nicer" to get a mobo with it already there.

Only reason I even need it is for the Bluetooth... Otherwise I wouldn't need wireless as I connect inter net wired. Id there a way to have BT without what's considerd "wireless" card? Or is it all working together?

I don't know if us end consumers could even test any differences. Any difference would be related to data transfer between the cpu and the buffer chips on the ethernet. When you start looking at times that are tiny fractions of 1ms it will not make a difference with the huge relative delays you see in the internet.

I never really cared about wifi since any machines I was building I was going for performance. I know the very latest intel chipset has support for wifi in the chipset itself. Not all manufactures actually add the radios. I suspect next time I build a machine I will look into this but I really could care less if motherboard has wifi.

Wifi is a little strange since it must be certified by the FCC to not cause interference. It is a bit different than a computer since the wifi intentionally transmits. Most motherboard use some kind of sub assembly board that contains the wifi, I suspect because they can get it certified interdependently. I have not looked at the latest mother board to see if they are now actually mounting wifi radios directly to the motheboards.

If all you need is bluetooth I would use a USB add on device. It is so slow it will work any on USB card.

The only statement I have on brands of ethernet is NEVER buy killer they have a history of massive issues with drivers.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I don't know if us end consumers could even test any differences. Any difference would be related to data transfer between the cpu and the buffer chips on the ethernet. When you start looking at times that are tiny fractions of 1ms it will not make a difference with the huge relative delays you see in the internet.

I never really cared about wifi since any machines I was building I was going for performance. I know the very latest intel chipset has support for wifi in the chipset itself. Not all manufactures actually add the radios. I suspect next time I build a machine I will look into this but I really could care less if motherboard has wifi.

Wifi is a little strange since it must be certified by the FCC to not cause interference. It is a bit different than a computer since the wifi intentionally transmits. Most motherboard use some kind of sub assembly board that contains the wifi, I suspect because they can get it certified interdependently. I have not looked at the latest mother board to see if they are now actually mounting wifi radios directly to the motheboards.

If all you need is bluetooth I would use a USB add on device. It is so slow it will work any on USB card.

The only statement I have on brands of ethernet is NEVER buy killer they have a history of massive issues with drivers.
Thanks for the info. Also I originally was going to use a usb BT device, but then kept reading that they aren't very good. And now I already have the wireless card.

What are using BT for if one may ask?
A VR headset. I am rarely going to sue it, but got it just to mess around with and so would need BT in order to use it.