Intel vs. Ryzen - Rendering/Gaming

julesrules124

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
So basically my birthday is in the March, and as most of you know, Ryzen is dropping March 2nd. I had an i3 rig setup that I wanted to build for my birthday, but after checking out Ryzen prices and benchmarks, I was thinking of postponing my build for Ryzen. I know that Intel processors are great for rendering, but the Ryzen seemed to be doing good in the benchmarks for gaming. Both have a good upgrade path, but I'm just stumped :p

Thanks
J.P.

Solution
Do you remember the ATI 2900XT? The leaked benchmarks show it keeping up or passing the 8800Ultra on 3DMark and other synthetic benchmarks. Then the card dropped. People ran their games on it and found out it could barely keep pace with the 8800GT. It was at this point I stopped paying attention to synthetic benchmarks AND "leaked" benchmarks. I'm not saying Ryzen will be crap or slow. Considering what we are hearing and who's back at AMD I think this is the best chance they've had in a long time to catch up with Intel. But based on my prior experience with the 2900XT I wouldn't build based on leaked benchmarks. As Synphul said, go ahead and plan a Ryzen build out. But I wouldn't start buying the pieces until real reviews were...

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Hello jp,

AMDs back and new Ryzen cpus are sure to nourish your needs but it all depends on which one your getting if your getting an Ryzen 1800X your getting the best CPU out there I say this I'm the perspective of money and performance wise it's said to beat out intels best and most expensive. Its better in all circumstances and is much more budget friendly than intels equal performance 1000 dollar cpu the i7 6900k the Ryzen 7 1800X makes intels cpus look like rip off peices of weak and slow hardware in my opinion.

I think it would be best to wait until retail chips are in the hands of reviewers and put to actual gaming benchmarks as well as solid prices and available hardware. Preorders are in effect, some motherboards are hard to come by. Nothing unusual for something about to release, actual availability may cause delays in putting a build together.

From what leaked bench's show they should do ok but it's my opinion that regardless of whose cpu it is, actual full array of benchmarks make for a more informed purchase. There have been a number of recent videos and reviews, mostly rehashing cinebench runs in a controlled environment like amd did for their events and partial gaming benchmarks. There still aren't independent reviews done on test systems with official retail hardware across multiple games which means there are still unknowns despite the 'leaked' info (which is minimal).

julesrules124

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016

Like I said I was going to get an i3 build or a ryzen 3 build. I would definitely upgrade either one eventually. Right now it's the lowest Ryzen 3 against an i3 6100. The Ryzen is like $10 more, but I've seen that it has a core clock of 3.2 GHz, boost to 3.4-3.5 (don't quote me on that :) )
I don't know if the ryzen 3 is gonna be better than core i3s, but do any of us know?

4745454b

Titan
Do you remember the ATI 2900XT? The leaked benchmarks show it keeping up or passing the 8800Ultra on 3DMark and other synthetic benchmarks. Then the card dropped. People ran their games on it and found out it could barely keep pace with the 8800GT. It was at this point I stopped paying attention to synthetic benchmarks AND "leaked" benchmarks. I'm not saying Ryzen will be crap or slow. Considering what we are hearing and who's back at AMD I think this is the best chance they've had in a long time to catch up with Intel. But based on my prior experience with the 2900XT I wouldn't build based on leaked benchmarks. As Synphul said, go ahead and plan a Ryzen build out. But I wouldn't start buying the pieces until real reviews were here.

Solution

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

I just saw the Tech Repulic gaming benchmarks. A crusty old 3770k beats it and uses 1/2 the power. WTF Ryzen stinks for all this wait. Stick with intel for games and low power.

gonf

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I would wait a week for more reviews if I were you. Been reading for ryzen review and they seem off for some reason. Different reviewer have different numbers. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/ have some numbers that tell amd is not good with games and Intel is still kicking amd butt. (Examples tome raider)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M time 6:55 . It says the 1800x is kicking intel in the bottom.
So yer different people have different numbers as of this moment for some reason. So I would wait a few weeks and see what's going on before I bite the bullet and do the new build myself. Beside think intel been dropping Thierry cpu price as well.

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

If you do alot of encoding or video stuff the 8 core Ryzen is decent. But if you are like many people that only do that stuff once in a while the 4/4HT I7s are faster and use less power.
A xeon 8 core would be a better comparison.
If you have a 3770k or better don't bother with Ryzen unless its for 3dfs max or something just not worth buying a new MB ram etc for slower games.

Crumpet 1

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Don't look at max fps, look at the min fps.. Ryzen is actually pretty damn good in gaming, and will get better as the bios and drivers mature.

It should be pretty stonking when streaming.

Also many people are reporting that gaming is noticeably smoother on Ryzen.

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

"Many People"? Like who, just here and that is really not a number just a "Feeling" that it might be smoother.
I'm sure its a fine chip if you need the threads or upgrading from a pentium 4 but its a bit underwhelming for all the hoopla.

Crumpet 1

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
No.. the frame time differences on Ryzen are better. Meaning a smoother gameplay.

I've heard it from 3 different recognised youtubers and 2 websites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sciuiEcrnzg&feature=youtu.be&t=16m27s

2pqw3h2.jpg

caqde

Distinguished

Actually some sites have reported large performance (between 4% - 35% FPS boost in games) differences after a BIOS update so apparently the firmware for this new Architecture needs some more refining before Zen (Ryzen) shows it's full muscle. That along with some Windows 10 SMT updates and other OS optimizations should help Zen perform a bit closer to what it should. The question is how much more performance is there to gain from Firmware and OS optimizations.