Question Intel warranty

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I bought my cpu in September 2018 and intel said my warranty expired September of this year and then acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me a "1 time exception". Its a 3 year warranty. Maybe the tech support person didnt count it right? Is it 3 years from when it was made instead how long you used it? It's not that important and the rma process was mostly painless, but it would good to know for in the future.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I bought my cpu in September 2018 and intel said my warranty expired September of this year and then acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me a "1 time exception". Its a 3 year warranty. Maybe the tech support person didnt count it right? Is it 3 years from when it was made instead how long you used it? It's not that important and the rma process was mostly painless, but it would good to know for in the future.
Depends on where and how you purchased it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html
---------------------------------
  • Intel® Boxed Processor: From an Intel® Authorized Distributor.
The Intel® Boxed Processors are sold to end users. In general, most Intel® Boxed Processors carry a three-year warranty supported by Intel. The warranty eligibility starts on the original purchase date and doesn't reset if or when Intel provides a product replacement.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Depends on where and how you purchased it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html
  • Intel® Boxed Processor: From an Intel® Authorized Distributor.
The Intel® Boxed Processors are sold to end users. In general, most Intel® Boxed Processors carry a three-year warranty supported by Intel. The warranty eligibility starts on the original purchase date and doesn't reset if or when Intel provides a product replacement.
I bought the cpu from amazon on October 2, 2018. This was there response:

Remember the processor has 3 years of warranty. The warranty was expired on September 16, 2020.

However for your satisfaction we will do a 1 time exception and replace the product.

Maybe they went off of the batch number, or they're trying to make themselves look good, probably both. I should have a whole extra year of warranty but if they replace it I will not complain.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I bought the cpu from amazon on October 2, 2018. This was there response:

Remember the processor has 3 years of warranty. The warranty was expired on September 16, 2020.

However for your satisfaction we will do a 1 time exception and replace the product.

Maybe they went off of the batch number, or they're trying to make themselves look good, probably both. I should have a whole extra year of warranty but if they replace it I will not complain.
"The warranty eligibility starts on the original purchase date"

If they had NOT honored the warranty, I would have pushed back with their own text.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah. Was it an actual Amazon purchase, or a 3rd party reseller through Amazon, and since you say it was a Box, have you verified the batch number on the IHS against the batch number printed on the Box?

It's not unheard of for ppl to have a cpu that doesn't OC like they want it to, buy a new one from Amazon, swap cpus, return it with claims of 'New, unused, not damaged' and Amazon tosses it back on the shelf to resell as New.

Which would put the original purchase date on that batch number as being prior to your actual purchase date.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Ah. Was it an actual Amazon purchase, or a 3rd party reseller through Amazon, and since you say it was a Box, have you verified the batch number on the IHS against the batch number printed on the Box?

It's not unheard of for ppl to have a cpu that doesn't OC like they want it to, buy a new one from Amazon, swap cpus, return it with claims of 'New, unused, not damaged' and Amazon tosses it back on the shelf to resell as New.

Which would put the original purchase date on that batch number as being prior to your actual purchase date.
I dont think my cpu had a batch number on it unless you're talking about the tiny bar code. I had to download a scanner on my phone and scan the barcode on the box because I had messed up the sticker and couldnt read the batch number. It was a 3rd party seller on amazon. It was actually from a uk wholesaler and I got a really good price on it and the shipping was surprisingly fast from the uk to america. The box was clean and the special sticker they put over the box lid wasnt removed or anything like that. Intel has my cpu and the box now so I couldnt look and see. They got it at 10 this morning and they haven't said anything yet so hopefully everything matches.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ouch. I really hope do too. Most of the big chains have had their fair share of accidents, where fakes get past the rma process unnoticed, but that's never really an intentional thing. 3rd party sellers are different. Consider the price. It was really good. There's no way a smaller company or individual can stay in business by selling at a loss, so wherever they got the cpu from was at a steal of a price. Even a small shop owner will send a defunct cpu back to Intel for credit, he cannot fix it, and is guaranteed not to be out of pocket any cash by doing so. So they don't sell returned merchandise for anything less than they paid for it.

Gloomyness not withstanding, Intel is supposedly honoring the warranty rma, be happy about that, whatever the circumstances of purchase, even Intel cannot 'repair' a bad cpu, only replace it, so the cpu you get from them is Genuine, honest Intel, no BS, certified and authentic. If it was faked, changed, tamperd with then Amazon has the records of sale and Intel has lawyers who can backtrack. If needs be.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Ouch. I really hope do too. Most of the big chains have had their fair share of accidents, where fakes get past the rma process unnoticed, but that's never really an intentional thing. 3rd party sellers are different. Consider the price. It was really good. There's no way a smaller company or individual can stay in business by selling at a loss, so wherever they got the cpu from was at a steal of a price. Even a small shop owner will send a defunct cpu back to Intel for credit, he cannot fix it, and is guaranteed not to be out of pocket any cash by doing so. So they don't sell returned merchandise for anything less than they paid for it.

Gloomyness not withstanding, Intel is supposedly honoring the warranty rma, be happy about that, whatever the circumstances of purchase, even Intel cannot 'repair' a bad cpu, only replace it, so the cpu you get from them is Genuine, honest Intel, no BS, certified and authentic. If it was faked, changed, tamperd with then Amazon has the records of sale and Intel has lawyers who can backtrack. If needs be.
I think it was cheaper than normal because I was supposed to buy a bunch of them. It was supposed to take a month and a half to get here but it ended up getting delivered in like 7 days. But I really hope it doesnt come to that. I've read stories about intel kidnapping people's processors even though the people that bought them didnt know they were engineering samples. Theres a post on reddit about intel taking somebody's cpu, accidentally sending him a new one, and then demanding that he ships it back. I've never had to rma any pc parts before but so far gskill has been the best and msi still hasn't responded after a month. I submitted 4 rma to msi and still nothing. Somebody on reddit said I should contact the tech support and have them set up the rma for me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, registration is quite important. And Gskill doesn't surprise me at all, they've always been excellent to deal with. They are one of the few companies that actually do test their products on various motherboards, going so far as to deliberately aim for Intel/Ryzen performance and compatibility. Kingston and Crucial do so as well.

I've rma'd quite a few items over the last 40 years, both as an amateur and pro builder, and have hit all of the major companies one time or another, and have found that many go in stages. They'll ge great, then not, then great again etc. So far, Evga and gskill have been the best, followed closely by Corsair.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Yes, registration is quite important. And Gskill doesn't surprise me at all, they've always been excellent to deal with. They are one of the few companies that actually do test their products on various motherboards, going so far as to deliberately aim for Intel/Ryzen performance and compatibility. Kingston and Crucial do so as well.

I've rma'd quite a few items over the last 40 years, both as an amateur and pro builder, and have hit all of the major companies one time or another, and have found that many go in stages. They'll ge great, then not, then great again etc. So far, Evga and gskill have been the best, followed closely by Corsair.
That's the reason I switched from msi to evga with my motherboard. I was under the impression that msi was one of the best brands for gpu and motherboards. I paid $220 for my msi motherboard and $150 for my evga board. The evga board has a ton of hardware features that should have been a requirement for the msi board like extra pci power for sli, 2 cpu power connectors, vrm heat sync and fan, post code led, more fan and usb headers, removable bios chip, connection for a wireless chip, 2 ethernet ports, and the list goes on. I paid for the name with msi and they dont even have the time to answer my rma. Never again.

maikutech

Distinguished
If the current tech support agent is trying to be nice by giving you a one "TIME" exception pass to get rma help.
I would take them up on it, but your current problem now is getting in touch with a tier 3 or tier 4 technician to help you.
That tier tech support knows what they are talking about and will verify if you broke the product or it fails as expected by thier guidelines.

I suggest next time you write down what they say so you can have your facts right while dealing with any tech company, especially intel inc.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
If the current tech support agent is trying to be nice by giving you a one "TIME" exception pass to get rma help.
I would take them up on it, but your current problem now is getting in touch with a tier 3 or tier 4 technician to help you.
That tier tech support knows what they are talking about and will verify if you broke the product or it fails as expected by thier guidelines.

I suggest next time you write down what they say so you can have your facts right while dealing with any tech company, especially intel inc.
What is the point of contacting the technician? I didnt drop the cpu or something. I have the whole conversation saved in my email. I emailed intel tech support today asking about what was going on with it and he just told me it takes up to 72 hours for it to get into there database.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS