Question Intel Wireless AC 7260 - Antenna Issue

Apr 2, 2020
Hey guys, I hope someone has some insight to my question.

I had to take my laptop apart to re-paste the CPU/GPU a few days ago, everything went fine but when I put it all back together I noticed my Bluetooth headphones get a static or interference noise when watching videos or doing other things. I noticed that when I took the laptop apart a previous technician put a bit a white tape over the Main / Aux connectors to my WiFi card. I found that the dark blue antenna connected to Main fine but the white cord clicked but would not stay in the Aux connector. I decided to put black electrical tape over them to hopefully keep them in place but I am getting static from Bluetooth (WiFi is fine though) so I am assuming this may be causing the problem, any idea how I fix this? I thought electrical tape would work but I read somewhere that it can cause interference.

If someone has any insight I would be very grateful.

Ralston18

Titan
Tape should not cause interference per se.

However, if wires are too close together that is a different situation.

Static is usually a symptom of a loose connection. Tiny current sparks between conductor (wire) and connection point.

My thought is that the electrical tape is not holding the wires securely in place.

The tape color does not matter per se but the quality of the tape does matter.

Some tapes start to unwrap and/or lose adherence very quickly - especially if there are temperature changes.

Take a very close look at the white cord AUX (use a magnifying glass) to determine why it will not stay in place.

Could be the wire or the connection point. Or both.

Apr 2, 2020
Tape should not cause interference per se.

However, if wires are too close together that is a different situation.

Static is usually a symptom of a loose connection. Tiny current sparks between conductor (wire) and connection point.

My thought is that the electrical tape is not holding the wires securely in place.

The tape color does not matter per se but the quality of the tape does matter.

Some tapes start to unwrap and/or lose adherence very quickly - especially if there are temperature changes.

Take a very close look at the white cord AUX (use a magnifying glass) to determine why it will not stay in place.

Could be the wire or the connection point. Or both.

Thank you for your reply.

So the Main & Aux wires touching could cause interference as well? The black/blue one clicks into place easily and stays securely, but the white one clicks and then comes unattached with very little force. I am just putting the black electrical tape over both heads - Its not like a constant static, but every now and then it static for a second or so, and I have noticed the range of my Bluetooth signal dropped significantly. I will have a look at the connector this weekend and see what it looks like under a magnifying glass.

Any other advice would be very appriciated.

Ralston18

Titan
I believe that the white connector not staying firmly attached is the likely culprit.

If they normally (or originally) ran side by side then interference per se is unlikely.

However if the taping closes in around both heads and brings them into closer proximity then there could be some shorting going on. Just little current flows that manifest as the static.

Are you able to post a couple of photographs?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Doing so will help us to understand the problem and additional ideas/suggestions may be posted.