Not open for further replies.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
So i found very good deals for x58
i can get xeon x5675 + asus p6t + thermaltake nic c4 for 100$
and i have another choice of getting i7 3770 + z77 for 132$

So which i should get and is this cooler capable for overclocking xeon x5675
because if i get x58 of course i would overclock it to 4.5 ghz or something because it is useless if no overclocking happens

so what are your suggestions

Solution
x58 gen cpus have no support for AVX instructions. Newer games use AVX and performance won't be as good on the Xeon.

My 2600k at stock speeds plays games much better than my older i7 920 at 4GHz.

If games is the plan, 3770 for sure.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
but i saw someone overclocked x5660 to 4.2 ghz and got cinebench score of 948 while the i7 3770 is in the 600s
Cinebench R15 or R20?
Single or multi?
EDIT: Nevermind, it must be the R15 multi score. The Xeon does have a few extra threads over the 3770, but that's it.

x58 gen cpus have no support for AVX instructions. Newer games use AVX and performance won't be as good on the Xeon.

My 2600k at stock speeds plays games much better than my older i7 920 at 4GHz.

If games is the plan, 3770 for sure.
Well, that pretty much takes care of that, even if games aren't the plan.

Reactions: boju

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Tough question. I would choose 2600k intending to overclock but don't really know how second hand 2600k's were treated. With locked cpu's, there's a higher chance of them not being abused. Some motherboards can overclock locked cpus a little but not by much..
Is the thermaltake nic c4 good for overclocking i heard that it is slightly better than 212 evo

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, 2nd gen was the last cpu from Intel for a long while using solder under the IHS for heat dissipation. Solder is more efficient than TIM and runs cooler. C4 will be fine cooling an overclocked 2600k. Make sure to have good case air flow though for any air cooler.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
thanks but i think 3770 is better for me
You still might be able to set an all core clock of 3.9ghz with that Z77 motherboard which is a kind of overclock and do get a decent cooler for that. This is called "Multicore Enhancement" which would be set to enabled in the bios.
Within $20->$30 are capable coolers to be found and maybe even costing slightly less.

Might want to keep a eye on voltages when doing it this way,can sometimes be set a little agressive.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
You still might be able to set an all core clock of 3.9ghz with that Z77 motherboard which is a kind of overclock and do get a decent cooler for that. This is called "Multicore Enhancement" which would be set to enabled in the bios.
Within $20->$30 are capable coolers to be found and maybe even costing slightly less.

Might want to keep a eye on voltages when doing it this way,can sometimes be set a little agressive.
what do you think about 3770k idea, i saw people overclocking it to 4.5 ghz with 212 evo

and i saw that thermaltake nic c4 is better than 212 evo so what do you think i can push my budget a bit and buy 3770k and nic c4

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with Vic, 3770k is a good option but again, the trouble with unlocked cpus being abused. You are taking a risk but there is a risk in anything i suppose. If for a good price, it's probably worth trying.

Your cooler is fine.

Regarding ram, is that 2x 4GB or 1x8GB? Go for 2x 8GB Gskill 1600 Ripjaws CL9. Newegg are still selling them pretty cheap.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows can already consume a good 2GB itself, 8GB ram is pretty rough nowadays. There can be quite a bit of paging (virtual memory / pagefile) going on if you remained with 8GB, more so if your gpu manages vram over 3GB. An SSD would help paging speeds but more ram is better.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Windows can already consume a good 2GB itself, 8GB ram is pretty rough nowadays. There can be quite a bit of paging (virtual memory / pagefile) going on if you remained with 8GB, more so if your gpu manages vram over 3GB. An SSD would help paging speeds but more ram is better.
I might upgrade ram in the future but i don't think i need that 16 gb ram now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS