Intel Xenon with Liquid Cooler?

JackRyanBW

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I would like to know if any has information on the Socket 771 xenon processor dimensions. I would like to install a liquid cooling system (BIG WATER 765 BY THERMALTAKE), on my new servers. I cant find any information as th wither the socket 775 P4 Dual core cooler water block will fit a socket 771 xenon processor. I tried to contact Intel but the only information i got was " Intel does not recommend using third party coolers". I have been using a LCS with my old P4 478 Single processor server, this server has never given any problems with either heat or cooling. I need to upgrade to Intel xenon dual core dual CPU server on an Intel 5400 chassis with an Intel MB. I would like to use a LCS with the new servers, so any one who can help with this issue please email me or leave a message on this post.
PS. I am writing this post from Botswana, Southern Africa so there will be a major time difference, so i may answer at odd times.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I am using liquid cooling on my XEON 5355's. The colling block is different but you could buy the kit and then just swap out the water blocks. I went with a Koolance system since they offer blocks which are universal for both 775 and 771 sockets. Many people in the WC world though do not like Koolance as they do not offer the best cooling and are not the most quiet. I have not had any problems with mine although it is a little noisier than I would like but is still not bad and my PS is louder then the rest. Also I know Apoggee makes blocks that will work. Thermaltake at this time does not offer any. The Apogee ones are rated pretty well.

Also if you are switching to the XEON the memory is FB-DIMM and they get hot as H. They need pretty much either a fan blowing on them or to liquid cool them also. Koolance has a liquid cooling piece for ram also which is the other reason I went with them. I have not seen to many others but am pretty sure at least on other company makes something for the memory. As of right now I am cooling both CPU's 4 DIMMs, and an ATI 2900XT and am having no issues.

JackRyanBW

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hi Turas, thank you for the quick reply, the xenon 5355 are what i was looking at installing, so you advice is greatly appreciated. So all i have to do i find a dealer for koolance and apoggee in South Africa from where i get all my parts.
Thanks for the advice once again.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
One thing to keep an eye on is the different materials when mixing vendors though. There are many articles on it if you look around. Although it seems that if you flush the system yearly it may not be a problem. Also a custom solution will always be better then the prebuilt ones but it is a matter of how much work you want to do. In my case I watned something totally in the case which is why I went the route I did. In the end though I bought the external rad from koolance to attach to the back so it is not all in the case but it is at least attached. In hindsight I am still thinking of switching to something like 2 reserators and separating the video card and memory from the CPU. It would detach things from the system but it would be even more quiet. I will probably leave the Koolance blocks just because I already have them installed and no need to change them with the others when it seems to be about 2-3 degrees different only. Good luck to you. I am loving the performance of the box but still am after every little tweak I can.

qhan

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Turas

Could you mind if you share your cooling spec with us?

I am also looking for liquid cooling for my Xeon 5410 system.

Thanks