Intel Xeon 1285 v6

Feb 22, 2018
I am looking to buy one of these processors for my home server but am having a hard time finding them for sale. According to intel's ark page, they were released in 2017 and go for around $450.

https://ark.intel.com/products/99978/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1285-v6-8M-Cache-4_10-GHz

Has anyone bought one? If so where? Also, what motherboard would you reccommend using for the Kaby Lake processor?

This is the only site i found selling one, i think. Has anyone bought from this site before? Is it safe?
https://www.thinkmate.com/product/intel/cm8067702870937

Thanks!

Joe

edit:

Not your average home server...

I have a server now that i use for hosting games. I am using the Xeon 1620v3 CPU which is good, but I need higher core clock for the game servers that only utilize single cores. I also am looking for a CPU which supports ECC, like the Xeons. I have many virtual machines in my current server and am looking to get another server to expand, that is why I am after the xeon 1285 v6. I leave my server on 24/7 and want enterprise grade components not just normal desktop stuff.

Yeah don't buy those if you can't find them for cheap. E3 Xeons are literally Core i5s and i7s that undergo server grade stability testing, that's it.

For a home server, any normal core i3, i5 or i7 would be perfectly fine.

For example, I build servers for my clients when they need a new low priority server, because the server isn't doing anything super intense, I will pop in a Core i5 quad core and a server motherboard into a regular case and that is the server. Works really well.

Feb 22, 2018

Not your average home server...

I have a server now that i use for hosting games. I am using the Xeon 1620v3 CPU which is good, but I need higher core clock for the game servers that only utilize single cores. I also am looking for a CPU which supports ECC, like the Xeons. I have many virtual machines in my current server and am looking to get another server to expand, that is why I am after the xeon 1285 v6. I leave my server on 24/7 and want enterprise grade components not just normal desktop stuff.