Shawn_49

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
Hi everyone, I have a small little question about a build I'm working on. So, I'm trying to build a LAN system, but when I'm not taking it places it's going to be running a (mostly) 24/7 Minecraft server. I'm using the motherboard from an HP Pro Desk 400 G2.5 SFF, which is an LGA1150 socket. The actual board is an MS-G013 VER 1.0 board. I was thinking of buying an Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3. However, I'm not finding Xeons being directly supported here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04734370

I'm not sure if this is just because they simply do not support Xeons, or they just didn't think to write it down considering this a business/consumer pc, not a server system.

I can't find any Reddit posts or anything for someone putting a Xeon in one of these, and honestly not that many posts about CPU upgrades in general. I just would like to know before I spend money on a CPU that's just gonna black screen.

If the Xeons are not supported, does anyone know of any good budget LGA1150 motherboards or comparable CPUs for a similar used price? (around $85 USD.)

Solution
I can't seem to find anything on a xeon in a prodesk 400 either. Usually if it is possible, someone out there has done it so simply searching the system name and 'xeon' is enough to find it.

That being said, both Dell and HP usually have xeon support even when not listed. I have firsthand experience with Dells doing so and I believe one of my HPs also had one, but these are older generations.

If the cpu is cheap enough, I would definitely try it. I would also make sure you're getting a genuine used cpu and not some fake as those may not work because...well...fake!
I can't seem to find anything on a xeon in a prodesk 400 either. Usually if it is possible, someone out there has done it so simply searching the system name and 'xeon' is enough to find it.

That being said, both Dell and HP usually have xeon support even when not listed. I have firsthand experience with Dells doing so and I believe one of my HPs also had one, but these are older generations.

If the cpu is cheap enough, I would definitely try it. I would also make sure you're getting a genuine used cpu and not some fake as those may not work because...well...fake!

Solution

Shawn_49

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
I can't seem to find anything on a Xeon in a prodesk 400 either. Usually, if it is possible, someone out there has done it so simply searching the system name and 'xeon' is enough to find it.

That being said, both Dell and HP usually have Xeon support even when not listed. I have firsthand experience with Dells doing so and I believe one of my HPs also had one, but these are older generations.

If the cpu is cheap enough, I would definitely try it. I would also make sure you're getting a genuine used CPU and not some fake as those may not work because...well...fake!
Do you know anything about the support for Xeons on the Intel H81 chipset? That is the chipset for this board, which I'm unsure if would be compatible, and weirdly I'm struggling to find a compatibility list, and then again as you said they usually have support for them even when not listed.

Do you know anything about the support for Xeons on the Intel H81 chipset? That is the chipset for this board, which I'm unsure if would be compatible, and weirdly I'm struggling to find a compatibility list, and then again as you said they usually have support for them even when not listed.
There seems to be some evidence here, but I don't think it's concrete since the bios would also need to support it, which we won't know due to the 'hidden' nature of the support in oem bios:
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H81.html

TRENDING THREADS