Intel Xeon E5-2600 V3 Review: Haswell-EP Redefines Fast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pjkenned

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
One thing though, can you change the link to the results page please? The
Blinkenlights site is a mirror (I have no control over its persistence) and may
not be around in the future. The primary location is here, my own domain.

I'm glad you didn't use the simple test, it is indeed really small, and on any
kind of modern hardware it completes way too fast for useful measurement.
It's a pity though that the other tests don't use the settings I've used, since
the results can't be compared, but never mind.

The other tests do impose a degree of main memory access, but not much.
I created them mainly to have something which lasted long enough to be
useful for testing multicore systems. Even then, the slowest test takes just
11s to complete on an old 8-core XEON. Maybe I should start a separate
new table for something like 'sphfract' at 7500x3500 with 8X oversampling...

Btw, c-ray's threading is by scanline, so there's no gain from having more
threads than the no. of lines in an image.

Ian.

PS. Just a thought - any chance you could manually run the C-ray tests
using the settings on my page? I'll add them to the tables. 8) Include the
'simple' test aswell, just for the hell of it.

Ian - your site as linked did not work. If you want to get in touch with me using my first name at servethehome.com I am happy to help out.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I'm confused... even the hot link from my post you've quoted works fine for me...
I'll send an email though.

Ian.

korndog55

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
I love your benchmarks as 2x sounds more real than some manufacturer's claims of 4x performance. It would be nice if you tested some server business apps like sql standard and enterprise, in ram vs in hard drive, comparing v2 VS v3 cpus and ddr3 VS ddr4. Or some other business apps like VMware Vsphere, oracle, SAP etc. SQL would be the easiest to test I would imagine.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I don't need this Xeon processor. I'll do 4-6 extreme workstation builds using Asus X99-E WS boards. But it supports only one Xeon! :(

The Xeon E5-1620 v3 was launched in 2013 and spec not that interesting with 4 cores and 10MB cache. And there's Core i7-5960X 8 cores and 20MB cache.

Those builds will each have Quadro K6000 or K5200 GPU; 64GB DDR4 RAM and lot of stuff. But what processor should I go with?

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Yeah, the 18-core CPUs for gaming will probably never take off. The reason is that GPU processing is getting better and already handle a lot of the massively-parallel processing. If you look at the latest OpenGL and Direct3D, most things are shader-based. Shaders are matrix-processing powerhouses

Lots of tasks aren't easy to split up. You can divide up the tasks, but a lot of 3 GHz CPU cores can handle quite a bit of small tasks by themselves. In fact, you can end up causing more processing lag by breaking it up into too small of chunks. You can also easily cause more bugs from multithreading

However, if they made the vector units in a CPU good enough, then there may be an end to the need of a GPU for lower-end graphics with an 18-core CPU (Direct3D has something called WARP, which is a software renderer). Then again, GPUs will probably evolve as well

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
None of the builds for Gaming purpose. Total high-end workstations will be 10: five 5960X & five Xeon machines.

All machines will go for design, modeling and simulation tasks; multiple computing apps; two linux VMs on Windows host; all these run on triple displays.

I'm either unsure or awaiting for some parts to arrive to finish extreme Workstation builds. Example:

Intel Core i7-5960X - $899.99 (Micro Center)
Cooler Master Glacer 240L
ASRock X99 WS EATX (awaiting for Asus X99-E WS)

G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB DDR4-2400 (2666/2800? or Corsair?)
Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB SSD
WD Black 4x 4TB (considering WD Red Pro 8x 4TB NAS)

2x EVGA GTX Titan Black 6GB Superclocked (or 2x 980?)

Cooler Master HAF X Blue (or Corsair 780T or Phanteks Enthoo Primo?)
Cooler Master 1200W ATX12V (or Corsair AX1200i?)

3 x Asus PB278Q monitors (each build)

Misc. parts under consideration:

Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
D-Link DWA-182 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Logitech MK710 w/Optical Mouse

I'll wait for some more time until I get a clear idea on Xeon support on Asus X99-E WS, parts, quality and prices.

Anyway, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.