Discussion Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD EPYC 4th Gen.

Nov 4, 2023
My friend, asked me to build a server for him. He plans to launch a website on that server. I however, do have a question. Should I use Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD EPYC 4th Gen.
For the AMD EPYC build, the parts will be:
AMD EPYC 9654 (96 cores)
Supermicro E-ATX motherboard
Kingston ECC DDR5 4800MT/S RAM (8x32GB)

For the Intel Xeon Build, the parts will be:
Intel Xeon Max 9480
ASUS Prime LGA4677 motherboard

Can you please leave a reply on what you think. The budget he gave me was 34K USD.

kanewolf

Titan
My friend, asked me to build a server for him. He plans to launch a website on that server. I however, do have a question. Should I use Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD EPYC 4th Gen.
AMD EPYC 9654 (96 cores)

Intel Xeon Max 9480

Can you please leave a reply on what you think. The budget he gave me was 34K USD.
For "a website" neither of those are required. You need a better understanding of the actual requirements, IMO.

Reactions: Order 66

kanewolf

Titan
AMD EPYC 9654 (96 cores)

Intel Xeon Max 9480

Has your friend tested his website on AWS? There are dozens of configurations that can be "test driven" to determine an appropriate hardware configuration for self hosted. Your proposed builds are 1000s of dollars. Test driving on AWS would be 100s of dollars.

Reactions: Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
First you don't build a 34K system you have it built.
If something is wrong/ goes wrong it's not your problem then.

If your in the US I would talk to someone at this site.

If you live somewhere else they should be a company where you live that offers similar services.

Edit I have no connection to that company and you could probably find other companies to buy from.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
AMD EPYC 9654 (96 cores)

Intel Xeon Max 9480

A website to do what?

As the others have pointed out, this is not the path your friend's money needs to take.

A Raspberry Pi can run a website, there is an article on Tom's Hardware about a MS DOS web server that has been up forever, my NAS can run run a website, etc.

If you want to get serious recommendations, you need to ask serious, well thought out, questions. Provide background to scope the conversation.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
AND it is an operational expense rather than an a capital expense. There are tax advantages ... This is why leasing hardware can be advantageous.
In addition to all the security concerns, SLA for uptime, hardware and software upgrades, etc, etc.

Any professional with tens of thousands of dollars for this would not be even considering self hosting on their own hardware. Nor would a competent advisor.

TRENDING THREADS