Intel Xeon x3460 for Gaming, 3D Design and Video Editing?

Mar 10, 2018
I recently found a good deal for the Intel Xeon x3460, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd and a 700w psu for $125. I have researched but i just wanna ask the community on what they think. Whether they be good for these type of workloads more than the i3 2100 or i5 2400. Thanks.

(Ps. if you could leave a link of research that would be helpful) :)

Solution
You will need a lot more RAM.

So depends on the motherboard and whether it needs EEC RAM. It may be hard to come by.

If I was getting new I would be looking at AMD R5 2600X rather than the i3 i5 you mentioned.

You will also need a GPU so factor that in.

Having said that, it seems like reasonable value, but you will need more RAM and GPU, it will not be able to keep up with a modern system.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
You will need a lot more RAM.

So depends on the motherboard and whether it needs EEC RAM. It may be hard to come by.

If I was getting new I would be looking at AMD R5 2600X rather than the i3 i5 you mentioned.

You will also need a GPU so factor that in.

Having said that, it seems like reasonable value, but you will need more RAM and GPU, it will not be able to keep up with a modern system.

Solution
I'd go for the i5 2400. It's only 4 cores/4 threads as opposed to the xeon's 4 cores/8 threads but it's newer tech. Forget the i3.

I think it comes down to what you will be doing most. If it's video editing, and the software you will be using will take advantage of cores and threads, then the Xeon looks better. I'd just have a hard time buying something older than a Sandy Bridge quad core at this point in time.

I do not recommend that you buy it at all. The X3460 is a chip nine years ago that would be a bit worse than the G5400 (the most basic pentium of the last generation of intel) or the famous G4560.

It is not a bargain. In aliexpres X3460 costs $ 25. 4 GB DDR3 23 $. In Amazon to 1TB brand new hard disk costs 44 $. I would never buy a second-hand hard disk. It may fail the next day, especially if it is the same age as the processor.

In addition you need a first generation mobo.

Do not be fooled by its four cores and HT, nor its base speed of 2.8 GHz and turbo 3.46 GHz. It is a product of the first generation, has a much worse IPC than current products (with which its effective speed is much lower) and lacks the new AVX operations.

I3-2100 is worst than X3460. I5-2500 it's something better than X3460 but it's not enough and and also you would need a mobo of the second / third generation of Intel.

These three cpu are only suitable for basic tasks such as surfing the web, microsoft office, watching videos and playing light games (with a graphics card).

Mar 10, 2018

Thank for the reply. I am pairing it with a GTX 950. And I have limited cash to spend on new hardware.

Mar 10, 2018

Thanks for the reply. So in short its better to look for more deals other than this Xeon and lean towards i5 2400. But what about the i5 650?

Mar 10, 2018

Thanks for replying. You do not need to worry about the HDD I have one myself and its own operating system. I will heed your advice but do take not I have a limited budget and I do not shop in ebay or aliexpress. Not enough trust. Thanks again