[SOLVED] Intel Xeon X5570: Gaming PC ?

Pee wee

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hi friends,

I hope you are all well ...

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you. Pls, I would like to know your opinion and recommendation about this second-hand PC. The computer is sold as "Gaming PC" and guarantees this PC allows to play games like "DOOM ETERNAL", "FORZA HORIZON 4", "CSGO", all these games at 1080p and more than 60FPS. Is it worth it?

Price: 200€ (234,00USD)
CPU: Intel Xeon X5570 (3.2GHZ) Cores 4 Threads 8
GPU: AMD RX550 2GB
RAM: 8GB
SSD: 120GB

I would appreciate any clarification.

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
First of all, many thanks for replying & clarification. Your help is greatly appreciated @cdrkf.

The price is 200€ (234,00USD) (?)

Regards.

If that is just for the tower then I think you can get a better deal if you shop around. If that includes a screen, keyboard / mouse and a copy of Windows then it's not too bad (needs to be Windows 10) - it would give you something to build upon and it would run lighter games no problems.

For that kind of budget, ideally you want to be looking for something from Intels 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen Core series (e.g. Core i7 2600K, 3700K, 4700K etc). Those cpu's are still very strong in games - this machine is a generation older and will struggle with some of the latest titles.

You can get...
Hi friends,

I hope you are all well ...

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you. Pls, I would like to know your opinion and recommendation about this second-hand PC. The computer is sold as "Gaming PC" and guarantees this PC allows to play games like "DOOM ETERNAL", "FORZA HORIZON 4", "CSGO", all these games at 1080p and more than 60FPS. Is it worth it?

CPU: Intel Xeon X5570 (3.2GHZ) Cores 4 Threads 8
GPU: AMD RX550 2GB
RAM: 8GB
SSD: 120GB

I would appreciate any clarification.

Many thanks in advance!

First question would be, what is the price?

Secondly - the performance claims sounds a bit optimistic given the specs.... The RX 550 is a entry level gpu and is better suited to 720p gaming rather than 1080p (it might get 60fps on lowest settings in something like Doom or Forza, 60 fps in CSGO is more realistic as that game is easy to run).

The CPU is also pretty old (it's the server version of Nahlem - the first generation of Core processors, really for good gaming performance these are a bit too old, the next generation 'Sandy Bridge' cpu's such as the i7 2600K are much stronger in modern titles).

Final thought is that SSD is rather small, windows will use roughly half of that which doesn't leave much room for games (recent games are often in the 40gb+ range). If it comes with a secondary HDD to install games on that would be better, although this is something that can be easily added later.

Reactions: Pee wee
First of all, many thanks for replying & clarification. Your help is greatly appreciated @cdrkf.

The price is 200€ (234,00USD) (?)

Regards.

If that is just for the tower then I think you can get a better deal if you shop around. If that includes a screen, keyboard / mouse and a copy of Windows then it's not too bad (needs to be Windows 10) - it would give you something to build upon and it would run lighter games no problems.

For that kind of budget, ideally you want to be looking for something from Intels 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen Core series (e.g. Core i7 2600K, 3700K, 4700K etc). Those cpu's are still very strong in games - this machine is a generation older and will struggle with some of the latest titles.

You can get some good deals going with a Xeon cpu rather than a Core (as these parts are less well known).... The following are the Xeon generations that match up to the above:

Xeon E3 12XX series - Core 2000 cpu (the 1230 and above are all 4 core, 8 threads like an i7)
Xeon E3 12XX Vs 2 Series - Core 3000
Xeon E3 12XX Vs 3 series - Core 4000

Graphics card wise, the RX 550 is fairly recent, but it's an entry level option. Ideally you want to be looking for something a bit stronger, from that series the RX 570 and above are all really good gpu's for 1080p gaming. The older Radeon R9 gpu's are all worth looking at as far back as the R9 290 should still be decent in current games.

On the nVidia side of things, the furthest I would go back is the nVidia Geforece GTX 900 series - the GTX 970 or higher are still good in current games, or look at something from the GTX 1000 series - the GTX 1060 and above still offer strong 1080p game performance in the latest games.

Ram wise you will need at least 8gb, 16gb would be better although this can be upgraded at a later date easily enough.

Reactions: Pee wee
Solution