Question Intel XTU fails to reinstall, claims newer version present

Sukhoikip

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I recently had to resort to safe mode to get rid of XTU on my laptop (i5-7300HQ) as the system was freezing every time XTU initialized following a windows update.This was a mere -.085mV undervolt, and it had 6 hard restarts for the watchdog to disable it. I removed it by deleting it from C\Program Files. Now, when I attempt to bring back XTU with the latest installer, it fails with an error about a newer version already being installed. I can provide the log file on request.

Lutfij

Titan
You should ideally uninstall it from the apps menu in Windows 10. You can try and install the same version as an overwrite and see if that helps. On another note, you spoke of a laptop, are you on the latest BIOS update for your platform? You might want to share the make and model as well as the SKU to your laptop.

Sukhoikip

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I got rid of XTU in the way I did out of desperation, as trying to open the add/remove programs did the "open on another screen that doesn't exist and refuse to move over" thing. I have since tried to remove it properly, but it spits out the same error. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7567 (not sure what relevance this has to a soft problem) and the BIOS is up to date. I cannot install the version of XTU previously installed as I don't know exactly when I installed it and regardless, Intel doesn't host old versions.