Question Intel Z370 PCI/PCH Lanes

Mar 30, 2020
I have a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI motherboard that I’m looking to add some hardware to but I’m not sure if it has enough PCI/PCH lanes to handle it all.

I’m looking at potentially adding a SATA card so that I can fit an extra two drives which will use a PCIe x1 slot. I looked through the manual found here but I saw no definitive mention of how ports map to PCI/PCH. I looked up the chipset specifically but couldn’t find much.

I have a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti in the PCIEX16 slot (the top one), and a Chelsio T520-CR fiber card in the PCIEX4 slot (bottom x16 slot) since 4 lanes is more than enough for 10GBe and PCH speed difference is negligible. Additionally, I have an NVMe SSD installed in slot M2P_32G. It is to my understanding that the 1080 is using all 16 PCI lanes from my CPU, because use of the PCIe x4 slot disables the second M.2 slot (M2Q_32G), and thus uses PCH. To that end, I’m not confident in my current estimate of PCI/PCH usage, and also would like to be able to see how many more PCH lanes are open.

I read online that the Z170 will disable PCIe x1 ports if an NVMe drive is installed. However, I don’t see any mention of that in the manual of my motherboard.

So my question is, how can I find out if I can add a SATA card (or other add ons) without splitting the processor’s 16 PCI lanes that are presumably all being used by the 1080.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS