News Intel Z890 LGA1851 motherboards hit pre-order at Newegg starting from $189

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
for a one and done board that's a lot of money
You could always resell the board if you want to replace your chip after a year, or you could be like most and just keep the setup for 5+ years because it is fast enough. You would want to replace a board for either chip vendor after 5+ years either way.
I imagine someone who wants the latest and greatest every other year would also want the latest and greatest motherboard.
Have AMD boards caught up yet with TB4 and cudimm support on the low end yet or will one have to buy a new motherboard for that?

Reactions: truerock

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm in the process of purchasing a Gigabyte Z890 AORUS Xtreme AI TOP motherboard. Its about the only board I could find that has Intel WiFi 7 and Intel Thunderbolt 5. I don't think it has Intel 10Gb/sec Ethernet - I think it is using a different brand.

The main reason I'm interested in Z890 is because of those technologies. So, I'm not sure why almost all Z890 motherboards do NOT have them.

Reactions: truerock

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
You could always resell the board if you want to replace your chip after a year, or you could be like most and just keep the setup for 5+ years because it is fast enough. You would want to replace a board for either chip vendor after 5+ years either way.
I imagine someone who wants the latest and greatest every other year would also want the latest and greatest motherboard.
Have AMD boards caught up yet with TB4 and cudimm support on the low end yet or will one have to buy a new motherboard for that?
Yes, I haven't upgraded a CPU on a motherboard, since... thinking... Intel 80486 to a faster 80486? In the early 1990s?
Do people still do that?

The upgrades I've made in the last 20 years:

1. Replace HDDs with SSDs
2. Replace HDDs and SSDs with bigger ones.
3. On very rare occasions I've updated video graphics cards - but not in the last 10 years.
4. I updated a few PCs with more primary memory.
5. Replaced a lot of batteries in notebook PCs.

Upgrading a CPU just never seems to be something that seemed worth doing.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I haven't upgraded a CPU on a motherboard... thinking... Intel 80486 to a faster 80486? In the early 1990s?
Do people still do that?
Same here.
I don't do a generational CPU upgrade and keep the old motherboard.
By the time I need that performance change, it also requires a new motherboard. AMD or Intel.

A board being a single generation thing is not a concern for me.