[SOLVED] IntelBurn standard test with i7 9700k temperatures is worrying, are these too high?

May 1, 2020
I finished building my pc yesterday and it was my first time mounting an aftermarket cooler. I did it with some difficulty like the cooler moving around a bit but I think I added the right amount of thermal paste. The cooler was screwed in until the screws no longer turned and so it is pretty flat on the cpu. I am using an i7 9700k with a Noctua U12S. I ran a standard IntelBurn test and the results have me a little worried. (temps were captured with HWinfo 64) The max temperature was in core 2 with 85c and the lowest max being 74 in core 7. 5 of the cores were 80c and above. These seem really high to me and I am worried that I messed up the installation of the cpu cooler. If more info is needed I am happy to test it again.

Solution
I finished building my pc yesterday and it was my first time mounting an aftermarket cooler. I did it with some difficulty like the cooler moving around a bit but I think I added the right amount of thermal paste. The cooler was screwed in until the screws no longer turned and so it is pretty flat on the cpu. I am using an i7 9700k with a Noctua U12S. I ran a standard IntelBurn test and the results have me a little worried. (temps were captured with HWinfo 64) The max temperature was in core 2 with 85c and the lowest max being 74 in core 7. 5 of the cores were 80c and above. These seem really high to me and I am worried that I messed up the installation of the cpu cooler. If more info is needed I am happy to test it again.

RealBeast

Titan
Take a look at THIS guide. It recommends 80C as a preferred limit and 85C as an absolute limit for regular use. So unless you primarily do stress testing, those are not too bad, pretty much right at the upper limit as I would expect with a good air cooler.

Solution