News Intel's ‘Intel Processor’ to Replace Pentium, Celeron Brands in 2023

InvalidError

Titan
When you are ashamed of your cheap line CPUs? :unsure:
I believe it is the opposite issue: Celeron and Pentium still have too much legendary brand recognition, even the lobotomized models on the market today are still sufficient for most people buying them and Intel needs to disappear those legacy legendary brands to facilitate upselling people with lightweight compute needs into its modern higher-end brands they don't actually need.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Giroro

Splendid
Intel might be thinking "A lot of people are using Chromebooks and starting to realize that those obsolete Celeron processors are terrible."
"I know, let's rename our slightly-less-obsolete Celeron processors to something generic, so some people get confused into thinking they're buying a new product from higher in our lineup."

But I think this will backfire. Now people will stop thinking "This Celeron processor is awful" and instead think "Intel processors are awful."

I believe it is the opposite issue: Celeron and Pentium still have too much legendary brand recognition, even the lobotomized models on the market today are still sufficient for most people buying them and Intel needs to disappear those legacy legendary brands to facilitate upselling people with lightweight compute needs into its modern higher-end brands they don't actually need.
Well Celeron has always been recognized as the barely adequate brand segment of Intel processors. I remember back in the day I had a net burst celeron and a net burst pentium 4 with the same clock frequency. The only difference was the celeron had disabled L3 cache and no SSE instruction support and the difference in performance was night and day. It was akin to switching from a 5400rpm hard disk drive to a gen 4 pci-e nvme ssd in 2022.

steve4king

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The last time I went shopping for a laptop, I was frustrated by the imprecision of some labels that just said, "Intel Processor". I'd have to go to the mfg website and look up the laptop model to see what processor was included. Now that practice is being legitimized?

Hopefully the part numbers clearly demonstrate a performance hierarchy.