Intel's 10nm Cannonlake Chips Won't Arrive Until Second Half Of 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justkeeplookin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
AMD makes minimal changes. The fact that they have few sockets is a good news to consumer who don't want to dish out extra $$$ for a new motherboard. But Intel will soon have few changes to make after limits are reached

Sure it is nice not to have to buy a new motherboard but look at Intels CPUs 5 years ago compared to AMDs. Intels are still viable gaming and production CPUs, AMDs are not.

Yes you can use a older AMD chipset on a newer AMD CPU yet you lose features, performance and technology to do so. There is always a trade off that most people are too blind to see.

I do a new system completely. The only thing I ever upgrade is my GPU. Everything else gets sold or given to family and I do a new build. No reason to hold back any part just to cheap out.

Exactly how small they can go has always been open to debate. However, electrons are not getting any smaller, and sooner or later the shrinks will hit a physical limit that will be not be able to go beyond.

Buwan

Reputable
May 16, 2014

AMD CPU performance is not due to lack of motherboard updates.

All I am saying is that if there are relative small advances in CPU's why upgrade the socket (as per your AMD example and your i5 2500k is still a useful CPU point).

"I am interested in how Intel expect to value add with the difficulty and diminishing returns of node shrinks. "
This is why Intel need a new business plan. This is their whole consumer business.

Holding the same socket means you have to build the CPU around that socket instead of building the socket, and board, around the CPU. The CPU is the Central Processing Unit so I would assume it takes priority.

There are some 760G chipset boards that will support a BD AMD CPU but it does not support all of the Cool 'n' Quite features or other features of the CPU so it holds the CPU back from its full possible potential.

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

Check this out. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/209794-new-2d-super-material-could-beat-graphene-to-becoming-the-new-silicon

If it's as good as the article makes it out to be, then we could have CPU's built around this stuff within a decade or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.