Intel's 200-Series Chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And what is the point of this chipset? This must be Microsoft / Intel / Win 10 deal B.S.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
The only thing offered here is the 24 PCIe lanes from the 270 chipset vs the 20 PCIe lanes from the chipset of the Z170. Even that is meh, considering the limitations of the DMI 3.0 link. Considering the reviews put the 7700K at about 0-2% in gains across the board, it looks like we have a loser here. If on something pre-sandy bridge, it is an upgrade route. I'd wait for Zen and then maybe what Intel does to counter it (assuming it meets performance/value expectations).

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
Not buying this chipset since it has "USA" ports on it!

But seriously, I'd expect USB 3.1 support to, at least, be available since the standard has already been approved.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Nobody who already has an LGA 1151 platform is expected to upgrade to a 200 series mobo. For those who are wanting a LGA 1151 platform, a 200 series mobo will likely be a good option as they should cost roughly the same and provide a few minor improvements or new features.
Same concept applies when looking at Kaby Lake vis-a-vis Skylake.

Is this really so hard for people to understand? Is it really necessary to complain about the lack of huge improvements (that no one should have been expecting in the first place)?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
News flash: the 7700k is what Intel did to counter it. It's an overclock of their existing architecture on virtually the same process. What is that, if not a hasty reaction to Ryzen?

In the longer term, they'll provide more cores, in the form of Coffee Lake.

OEMs could enable x16/x8 multi-GPU configurations using the CPU’s 16 PCI-E lanes and an additional eight lanes from the chipset.
This is a terrible idea, as it's basically going x16/x4, with the x4 also being shared for SSD, sound, and all other I/O. Much better to split the CPU's direct-connected lanes 8x/8x.

The only argument I see for x8 lanes per device is for some server peripherals that are x8 lanes @ PCIe 2.0.

And the only point I see of adding more PCIe lanes from the PCH is for RAIDs of M.2 SSDs.

How are these low-end, exactly? Unless you're just talking about the Bx50 chipsets. But the Z270 is the best thing you can pair with an i7-7700k, and that's not low-end by any definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.