Intel's 32nm Core i7 Coming this Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well, there's another motherboard upgrade, I bet. I figured my X58 would only be good for the 45nm cpu's, and I'm sure that will end up being true.

G

way to go intel.. produce the bast cpu's and then cripple it with suck ass graphics controllers..

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Pretty much, Hop. I'm stopping with my Q9650 and settling down until this all stops. Which... might be never, but I'll be that much more rich.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Hop[/nom]Can't keep up anymore, as soon as you buy a system, it goes out of style in six months. :)[/citation]
I don't think these models are attempts to beat out the Current Core i7s. They're just here to start filling in the i7 line with more mainstream products.

rocketw31

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
If you are on X58 you are going backwards by going to 32nm at this time. It seems that some people don't understand that not every new product that comes out is better than the one they have now, and that Intel markets parts to many different segments of the market. Did people not even read the part of the article that talked about these chips using integrated graphics and having 2 cores? Do people read ANYTHING anymore??????????????????????????????????????

I was hoping for 4+ core 32nm cpu :< Kinda cool that they integrate gpu on it so MAYBE you can power off the big graphic cards and use the integrated while you surf the internet....

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Why is the on die memory controller 2 channel if Westmere is a 3 channel cpu? Is Westmere not like the current Nehalem processors?

This would be saddening...

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rocketw31[/nom]If you are on X58 you are going backwards by going to 32nm at this time. It seems that some people don't understand that not every new product that comes out is better than the one they have now, and that Intel markets parts to many different segments of the market. Did people not even read the part of the article that talked about these chips using integrated graphics and having 2 cores? Do people read ANYTHING anymore??????????????????????????????????????[/citation]

Hey, I read it. And I also note that it's not necessarily raw power that keeps people upgrading. Efficiency is another thing that is looked at. The move to a smaller process will probably lead to cooler processors - and in this case something interesting in die size, where they can add particular integrated chipsets. This is a boon to the HTPC market. However, just buying the die shrunk 45nm Core 2 Duo last year for an HTPC... it makes one wonder how much money idle costs are causing them to throw out the window.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Why is the on die memory controller 2 channel if Westmere is a 3 channel cpu? Is Westmere not like the current Nehalem processors? This would be saddening...[/citation]

The dual cores, and the socket 1066 processors are not suppose to have an on die IMC. If they do it that way they can still produce I5's and what not that use DDR2 memory. Or as it appears put a modified Penryn core on the same package as a memory controller and gpu.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Actually I'm pretty sure I read just yesterday that there was supposed to be a dual core 45nm Nahlem that was scrapped due to huge C2D inventories. Instead, the article said, Intel will release a westemere dual core - which will be THE GAMING ENTHUSIAST CPU! People don't seem to understand that these new 4x and future octa-core CPUs have zero application outside of digital content creation and server environments. For every "average" user out there, a dual core is enough. For any GAMER who is seeking max frame rates, quad core is absolutely useless. Take a dual core, and you can overclock it further (only 2 cores instead of 4 = less heat), get yourself more GHz and hence more frame rates. Considering Intel just recently put up the C2D E8700 at 3.5GHz, I'm hoping to build a Westmere system with a CPU that will clock close to 4GHz at stock, which will hopefully allow me to push it into the 5.5GHz+ territory.

Now, the two chips mentioned in the article aren't it. THey have intergrated graphics so for a gamer, quickly forgettable. Scrap the graphics controller. Push the clock far. Stick in 1-2MBs of L2 Cache per core (but don't forget the L3 please). Unlock the multipler. If I could get me a CPU like that, I'd be set until the end of the world (2013 in case you were wandering).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

G

Lots of misinformation - this is the mainstream/value chip, so for those enthusiasts who are whining about buying an x58 chip and thinking it will not be compatible with the 32nm gen, you need to turn in your enthusiast card. There will be a 32nm version of the Core i7 as well (a quad core) and that will replace the current 45nm quads and use the same socket (and I have to think will be compatible with the x58)

For those who have a quad core i7 -why would you want to replace a quad core chip like that with a dual core and integrated graphics? Just doesn't make sense... Think... think again... then type your comment. (not the other way around)

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I will probably wait 18 months until I upgrade my rig. I figure by then ddr3 memory will be cheap, windows 7 will come out, and an i7 entry level processor motherboard/cpu will cost less than $200.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Dang it. I just can never figure out when to buy a new computer now. Every time, there's another, better system around the corner. I guess I will have to wait after 32nm and before 22nm, because 22nm is supposed to take a little bit longer I believe.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]GreatWalrus[/nom]Dang it. I just can never figure out when to buy a new computer now. Every time, there's another, better system around the corner. I guess I will have to wait after 32nm and before 22nm, because 22nm is supposed to take a little bit longer I believe.[/citation]

These aren't going to be better than the current processors, they'll be the mainstream processors for everyday people.

rocketw31

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
The fact that a common user may be ripping and encoding dvd's completely puts to bed the idea that a common user doesn't have a need for 4 or more cores. Do you realize that a blu ray rip takes hours even on a high end 4 core machine. To rip and encode my blu ray discs for my portable media player takes ages. I need more and faster cores and so do alot of other people.

The idea that people aren't using their 4 core machines is a load of hogwash.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]These aren't going to be better than the current processors, they'll be the mainstream processors for everyday people.[/citation]

But with a smaller manufacturing method, don't these processors run with less energy, faster speeds, and on smaller chips?

Wouldn't a Core i7 920 perform better as a 32nm chip rather than a 45nm chip?

I'm totally open to whatever you have to say, I'm just beginning to learn more about processors and manufacturing technology.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]GreatWalrus[/nom]But with a smaller manufacturing method, don't these processors run with less energy, faster speeds, and on smaller chips?Wouldn't a Core i7 920 perform better as a 32nm chip rather than a 45nm chip? I'm totally open to whatever you have to say, I'm just beginning to learn more about processors and manufacturing technology.[/citation]

It does, and you're right.

But, these initial 32nm processors are going to be made for the mainstream and for laptops. So far, Intel only has Enthusiast i7 processors, meant for high performance. But it needs to populate the Core i7 line with mainstream processors.

At some point Intel will release Enthusiast processors at 32nm, meant for high performance, but these are going to be low power, cheap, and efficient.

G

LOL

Integrating crappy Intel integrated graphics into the CPU instead of the Northbridge. Yeah, let's move the GPU to the CPU, that way we can waste some of the heatsink's thermal dissipation. Of course, this offers no value vs. leaving it in the northbridge, but hey, they might just beat AMD to market with an integrated CPU/GPU, even if it is teh suck.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rocketw31[/nom]The fact that a common user may be ripping and encoding dvd's completely puts to bed the idea that a common user doesn't have a need for 4 or more cores. Do you realize that a blu ray rip takes hours even on a high end 4 core machine. To rip and encode my blu ray discs for my portable media player takes ages. I need more and faster cores and so do alot of other people.The idea that people aren't using their 4 core machines is a load of hogwash.[/citation]
What you need is a hardware accelerated (GPU) encoder.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]It does, and you're right.But, these initial 32nm processors are going to be made for the mainstream and for laptops. So far, Intel only has Enthusiast i7 processors, meant for high performance. But it needs to populate the Core i7 line with mainstream processors.At some point Intel will release Enthusiast processors at 32nm, meant for high performance, but these are going to be low power, cheap, and efficient.[/citation]

I see, thanks for the clarification. I believe I really meant that the 32nm processors - to be released in early 2010 - will be much better than any of which I buy now. So since I do not frequently upgrade my computer, I don't want my technology to be "out of date" in just a year. Plus, I probably wouldn't be upgrading to a 45nm until around Christmas, so that's even more reason to wait a few more months or so after that. :)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]And so it goes. Buy now, out of date tomorrow. If you wait till the 32nm comes and get one, then in the first quarter of 2010 they will have quad core 32nm, then they will mention that 22nm is right around the corner with 16 cores and 32 threads with integrated GPUs. Nice isnt it.[/citation]
All of which is why you should buy now, it's going to be outdated anyway, but it's always going to be faster than what you already have.

And I doubt this is going to blow the 965 out of it's position on top. I'd bet money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.