News Intel's Alder Lake Non-K Series CPUs Could Start At $119

Apr 1, 2020
I don't see a market for the Core i3-12100F. The price is low, but without a GPU, and without any cheap entry level GPUs these days, I'm having trouble thinking of one, unless Intel is planning on releasing sub $50 GPUs into the open market.

InvalidError

Titan
I don't see a market for the Core i3-12100F. The price is low, but without a GPU, and without any cheap entry level GPUs these days, I'm having trouble thinking of one, unless Intel is planning on releasing sub $50 GPUs into the open market.
If you go with an IGP-less CPU, it is most likely because you want more powerful graphics than Xe IGPs' 24-32 EUs and you aren't going to get any such thing new for under $200 even on a good day unless Intel pumps out those 96 EU SKUs with 4GB of GDDR6 like it means to take a serious bite out of the entry-level market.

If all you want is display out because the i3 isn't availabe in non-F trim and you don't have a spare GPU floating around, then yeah, the i3-F doesn't make sense as you are far better off getting the i5-12400 instead.

Apr 1, 2020
If you go with an IGP-less CPU, it is most likely because you want more powerful graphics than Xe IGPs' 24-32 EUs and you aren't going to get any such thing new for under $200 even on a good day unless Intel pumps out those 96 EU SKUs with 4GB of GDDR6 like it means to take a serious bite out of the entry-level market.

If all you want is display out because the i3 isn't availabe in non-F trim and you don't have a spare GPU floating around, then yeah, the i3-F doesn't make sense as you are far better off getting the i5-12400 instead.

The i3-12100F would be excellent for an office-type PC if it just had an iGPU. Even with the low end Xe dGPUs if they were priced any higher than $50 it'd make little sense to get them both instead of just the slightly more expensive Core i5-12400 or the Ryzen 3 5300G if AMD ever releases it.

Even for a headless closet server it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense with that 65w TDP

InvalidError

Titan
Even with the low end Xe dGPUs if they were priced any higher than $50 it'd make little sense to get them both instead of just the slightly more expensive Core i5-12400 or the Ryzen 3 5300G if AMD ever releases it.
The lowest-end DG2 specs I have seen (88EUs) should make it at least 3X as fast as Intel's IGPs (24EUs for 11400 and presumably 12400 too, 32EUs for models above) and 2X as fast as AMD's. In today's market, that would land in the neighborhood of a GTX1650 Super which currently costs over $300.

$50 would barely cover the 4GB of GDDR6 needed for a remotely usable dGPU.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
i agree that it will be next budget friendly build. but imo the i5 should already started with 8 core and 8 thread rather than 6 - 6. and the i7 should already started with 12 -12 atleast or even better 16 - 16

Now the $200 question: how much will decent quality B560 boards to put non-K CPUs on will cost?

And with DDR5 costing twice as much as DDR4 in the 3600-18 to 4000-18 range, what will the ratio of DDR4 to DDR5 boards be? I'd expect DDR4 to remain quite popular for more budget-conscious builds for quite a while.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-alder-lake-specifications-price-benchmarks-release-date
It appears that Intel will split its memory support into DDR4 for lower-end Z690 motherboards, B- and H-series models, and mobile systems, while DDR5 will only slot in for the highest-end Z-series motherboards. This makes sense given the expected high pricing for DDR5 memory in the early days of adoption, though it's notable that Intel hasn't confirmed its approach yet.
With the i9 already pulling in excess of 220W in stock form, I doubt adding more cores would do anyone much good.
That's out-of-the-box and only for the mobos that use excessive settings, stock this isn't.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019

Everyone expects Intel to sell its graphic cards at a loss initially, so that's not an unlikely scenario. A 50-buck card for large OEMs, I can see that happening.

InvalidError

Titan
Everyone expects Intel to sell its graphic cards at a loss initially, so that's not an unlikely scenario. A 50-buck card for large OEMs, I can see that happening.
While I don't expect Intel to aim for sky-high margins on what is effectively first-gen stuff likely to be riddled with teething issues, there is no reason for Intel to sell even the lowest-end DG2s at this much of a loss when the ancient GTX1050/2GB cannot be had for less than $150 for about half as much performance. Intel's 88EU DG2/4GB would fly off the shelves at $150 in today's market.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I see a huge market for it. The 10100 is a solid gaming CPU, gave an upgrade path, and could hang with 6700/2600. For anyone that has a decent GPU on a 7700/3600 or below, and maybe even an 8600-8700, it should give a nice little boost and give them access to win11 if they want it (7700). I threw together a few 10100 builds over the last year and change and it amazed me how well it performed for $69 microcenter. I know $119 is suggested, but we'll see how it ends up performing and if that number holds true.

Giroro

Splendid
I just don't see why anybody would even attempt to build a "budget gaming pc" in a market where entry level GPUs cost $500.

The last gaming pc I built, was when I set my phone on top of a chromebook.

Reactions: Kridian
I just don't see why anybody would even attempt to build a "budget gaming pc" in a market where entry level GPUs cost $500.

The last gaming pc I built, was when I set my phone on top of a chromebook.
Because the card you already have in your old system doesn't magically blow up when you build a new system.
You can use it and wait for new cards to drop to normal levels again.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
While I don't expect Intel to aim for sky-high margins on what is effectively first-gen stuff likely to be riddled with teething issues, there is no reason for Intel to sell even the lowest-end DG2s at this much of a loss when the ancient GTX1050/2GB cannot be had for less than $150 for about half as much performance. Intel's 88EU DG2/4GB would fly off the shelves at $150 in today's market.

For OEM sales, such a CPU + dGPU combo would be competing with AMD's Cezanne. Intel probably has to go that low.

On the retail side, Intel will need to get retailers to actively promote their new cards. But would they do go through that trouble when the sale of an ARC cannibalizes the sale of an RTX? It only makes sense if they earn the same margin that they'd from an expensive nVidia card selling the cheaper Intel equivalent.

For OEM sales, such a CPU + dGPU combo would be competing with AMD's Cezanne. Intel probably has to go that low.
OEM was already covered, we saw articles months ago about dg1 or what it was for OEMs that don't even work on normal mobos due to needing the bios to be aware of them.
Those have to be dirt cheap for intel to produce.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1645...ds-now-shipping-to-oems-dg1-lands-in-desktops
On the retail side, Intel will need to get retailers to actively promote their new cards. But would they do go through that trouble when the sale of an ARC cannibalizes the sale of an RTX? It only makes sense if they earn the same margin that they'd from an expensive nVidia card selling the cheaper Intel equivalent.
Well the margin on a card that the retailer can't get their hands on is 0 so if they can get any kind of margin from an intel GPU it will be money for them.
So at least as long as the shortages go on intel GPUs will sell fine, after that it will depend on if AMD/nvidia insist on only producing higher end stuff, that would give intel a lot of room to expand into.

InvalidError

Titan
It doesn't make any more sense for OEMs since OEMs putting something equivalent to a now $300+ 1650 Super in them and selling the GPUs for a dime on the dollar as part of a whole system would make the systems prime targets for flippers who buy pre-built only to sell the GPU separately and make a $100-300 profit in the process unless OEMs price the systems based on the GPU's street price regardless of what they paid Intel.

For video output on the cheap, Intel could dump some DG1s that almost nobody outside OEMs can use, no worries about flippers harvesting those.

So i5 12400/F, no efficient cores, Max boost 500mhz less than the i5 12600K, and less L3 cache. I wonder how good wil it be? Can't wait for the reviews.

Anyways, as long as its very good compared to the 10400/11400 it will surelly become the budget king for new builders or users upgrading old/slow PCs. I wondder how long till decent/budget B660 mobos hits the market, specially DDR4 ones.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
With the i9 already pulling in excess of 220W in stock form, I doubt adding more cores would do anyone much good.
for workload playing with VM it does matter. but yeah 220W will be very hot indeed.

perhaps next gen will be lower watt with more performance? time will tell