News Intel's Arrow Lake CPU socket is nearly identical to the old socket — LGA1851 pinout shows one additional USB 2.0 port

The new architecture will reportedly only come with one extra USB 2.0 port over Alder Lake, making Arrow Lake's connectivity virtually identical to its predecessors.

Intel's Arrow Lake CPU socket is nearly identical to the old socket — LGA1851 pinout shows one additional USB 2.0 port

LGA1851 pinout shows one additional USB 2.0 port , With just a single change to the USB 2 configuration, Arrow Lake-S on the connectivity side virtually changes nothing

Jay's information reveals that Arrow Lake's I/O connectivity barely changes compared to Intel's outgoing 14th-gen, 13th-gen, and 12th-gen processors. The only change being added to Arrow Lake-S is the addition of one extra USB 2 port to the PCH

The only change being added to Arrow Lake-S is the addition of one extra USB 2 port to the PCH

With just a single change to the USB 2 configuration, Arrow Lake-S on the connectivity side virtually changes nothing

Erm, what ? That's not correct. You got it all wrong.

Leak only mentions that the Mobile "Arrow Lake-HX" CPUs will be similar to the "Arrow Lake-S" desktop offerings since they are based on a similar die. But the only difference is one extra USB2 lane.

Where was the "ALDER LAKE" lineup mentioned, and where does the tweet say that Arrow Lake's connectivity is virtually identical to its predecessors. ? That's false info.

The one extra USB2 lane which the leaker claims, is in reference to the Mobile Arrow Lake-HX CPU lineup, when compared to the Arrow Lake-S DESKTOP processor series

And, the LGA 1851 layout is also very different vs the existing LGA 1700/1800 socket, which is obvious from the floorplan. The new socket comes with 51 additional pins in the LGA format.

How can they be identical ? Sorry, the article contains quite a few inconsistencies ! Misinformation.

LGA 1851.

TUYt0qF.png

LGA 1700 socket.

yzxoCyZ.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TechyIT223
Jul 2, 2024
Arrow Lake actually adds 4 extra PCIe 5.0 lanes straight off of the CPU for an SSD or other device, to start with. The tweet in question even contains that information in the IO breakdown table.

The "1 usb port difference" is between the mobile Arrow Lake and Desktop Arrow Lake. Which is all the tweet actually compares - mobile to desktop. If you want to compare to previous gen, I'm afraid you need to actually put in some work - which didn't happen.

Here is the FULL I/O config breakdown for Arrow Lake S, HX, H and Lunar Lake platforms. How can these be the same as previous gen platforms, as the article claims.

The one extra USB2 lane which the article mentions was in reference to the Mobile Arrow Lake-HX CPU lineup, vs the Arrow Lake-S DESKTOP processor lineup.

There was no mention of Alder Lake, and the article has got it all wrong. Please make the necessary corrections.

Arrow Lake-S desktop series.
Arrow Lake HX high-end Mobile lineup.
Arrow Lake-H mobile parts.
Lunar Lake Mobile SoC.

Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs will feature 16 PCIe Gen5 lanes dedicated to discrete graphics, on the SOC Tile, whereas the IOE Tile features 4 Gen5 lanes and 4 Gen4 lanes dedicated to M.2 SSDs.

We have 4 extra PCIe 5.0 lanes here compared to previous gen Raptor Lake S platform.

QqqdgxW.jpeg

vpuAmSd.jpeg

TzIxwq3.jpeg

XidyuXr.jpeg

The "1 usb port difference" is between the mobile Arrow Lake and Desktop Arrow Lake. Which is all the tweet actually compares - mobile to desktop.

Exactly. That's what the leaker in his tweet was trying to convey. The author of this article should make the necessary correction in his article, otherwise it could mean entirely something else for readers.

@JarredWaltonGPU please can you look into this ? Thanks.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s
Jul 2, 2024
Jaykihn here.

This article is completely incorrect, in multiple ways, and requires either a revision or to be taken down. It does not reflect my claims.

I’m severely disappointed in the folks at Tomshardware who were involved with the publishing of this article.

Thank you to the other users in comments section correcting the claims made.

Jaykihn here.

This article is completely incorrect, in multiple ways, and requires either a revision or to be taken down. It does not reflect my claims.

I’m severely disappointed in the folks at Tomshardware who were involved with the publishing of this article.

Thank you to the other users in comments section correcting the claims made.

Thanks for dropping by, Jay ! Yes, the article needs serious editing ! But I have also tagged the senior Editor. This author usually makes mistakes in some of his articles.

Sadly, that's the case with Tom's these days.

I guess I'm gonna email and PM 'PAUL Alcorn' now. Gotta sort other things out as well.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

TechyIT223

Prominent
Jun 30, 2023
Yup, the headline still not corrected. LoL.

If I understand this correctly, we can now easily use Gen 5 lanes for both the GPU as well as the gen 5.0 SSD, without sacrificing performance? Right? Because of 4 extra gen 5 lanes?

I'm sorry I always get confused when it comes to PCIE lanes.

TechyIT223

Prominent
Jun 30, 2023
But we don't have any GPU that can take advantage of PCIe gen 5 bandwidth, or the full potential of the interface then what's the point of having a PCIE Gen 5 capable slot or lane in the mobo ?

Also, there aren't any GPUs that are fully Gen 5 capable either. Most high end cards only support PCIe express Gen 4.0 x16 lane.

@TechyIT223,

Regarding the GEN 5 lane confusion. With the new 800 series platform and the Z890 chipset, we are getting a total of 20 PCIe Gen 5 lanes directly from the CPU.

Previous Z790 boards only gave us 16 in total, so we had to sacrifice some lanes if we wanted to use a Gen 5 SSD storage, along with the GPU. Any Z790 motherboard offering Gen 5 on the M.2 slot will have to cut the GPU to x8.

If we look at Intel's Z790 platform block diagram, native PCIe configuration for the CPU is 16x PCIe 5.0 lanes (in either a 16x/0x or 8x/8x setup), plus 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes.

So this means that any PCIe 5.0 lane being used for SSDs would necessarily have to be split off of the x16 lanes typically reserved for the GPU, hence leading to a x8/x8 configuration. But with the new upcoming Z890 chipset you can use a Gen 5 storage without sacrificing any Gen 5 lanes.

But with AMD's X670 chipset, it was different. The block diagram shows 20x PCIe 5.0 lanes for the CPU, which means 16x/0x or 8x/8x, plus another 4x for a M.2 Nvme storage.

z790-chipset-blockdiagram.png.rendition.intel.web.1920.1080.jpg

Last edited:

TechyIT223

Prominent
Jun 30, 2023
@TechyIT223,

Regarding the GEN 5 lane confusion. With the new 800 series platform and the Z890 chipset, we are getting a total of 20 PCIe Gen 5 lanes directly from the CPU.

Previous Z790 boards only gave us 16 in total, so we had to sacrifice some lanes if we wanted to use a Gen 5 SSD storage, along with the GPU. Any Z790 motherboard offering Gen 5 on the M.2 slot will have to cut the GPU to x8.

If we look at Intel's Z790 platform block diagram, native PCIe configuration for the CPU is 16x PCIe 5.0 lanes (in either a 16x/0x or 8x/8x setup), plus 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes.

So this means that any PCIe 5.0 lane being used for SSDs would necessarily have to be split off of the x16 lanes typically reserved for the GPU, hence leading to a x8/x8 configuration. But with the new upcoming Z890 chipset you can use a Gen 5 storage without sacrificing any Gen 5 lanes.

But with AMD's X670 chipset, it was different. The block diagram shows 20x PCIe 5.0 lanes for the CPU, which means 16x/0x or 8x/8x, plus another 4x for a M.2 Nvme storage.

z790-chipset-blockdiagram.png.rendition.intel.web.1920.1080.jpg

Thanks mm .I guess it is more clear now.

TRENDING THREADS