Intel's Atom to Power the Nissan Cars of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
does this mean car mechanics will have to know about CPUs? My uncle is doomed for the future because he's from the antique ages in car mechanics lol maybe he can hire me if gets one of these cars to service.
maybe i can overclock it. hehehe

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]does this mean car mechanics will have to know about CPUs? My uncle is doomed for the future because he's from the antique ages in car mechanics lol maybe he can hire me if gets one of these cars to service. maybe i can overclock it. hehehe[/citation]

Yes. Cars nowadays have a lot of computer stuff in them. ECUs for example, have been used for years already.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]does this mean car mechanics will have to know about CPUs? My uncle is doomed for the future because he's from the antique ages in car mechanics lol maybe he can hire me if gets one of these cars to service. maybe i can overclock it. hehehe[/citation]

Cars have been computerized for years now. That's why most older mechanics do car before the 90s.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Intel's Atom to Power the Nissan Cars of the Future

So Intel started to manufacture batteries, and they have decided to use the Atom brand, the same the use for they processors?

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I want one of the companies to release a small (ford ranger sized) desiel engine, with a stick shift that makes decent power (like small a small v6) with 4 wheel drive (not all wheel drive) and manually locking hubs with as few computer controled components as possible.

Better waterproofing of electronics would be a bonus too.

All of this digitization and automation will allow for a large segment of drivers to be very poor at driving due to their reliance on alarms and the computer taking control of the vehicle. That said it will make the really bad ones safer than they are now.

lp231

Splendid
In Japan they have a soda vending machine power by a Intel Core i5! Nissan wants their car to be power by a Atom? Hopefully the new Atom are fast enough that it won't cause any delays while updating traffic status or other reports.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]I refuse to buy anything powered by Intel atom.[/citation]
I don't mind the Atom, though I do refuse to by anything made my Nissan. The electrical systems are piss-poor at best.

G

Pshhhh I'll wait till an I7. Overclock it and have the radiator cool the CPU :p

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
overclock your car with ln2 :p I mean, CNG.

my car is already intel powered. I've an atom car pc. it's really great to see real time OBD information. also it's a pc so it has unlimited potential.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Let's just make sure that Intel's got security down first eh.[/citation]
Dont worry, they already bought McAfee, LOLOLOL

When it comes down to it there is very little involved with the computer when repairing a car. Now there are just some wires to disconnect each with a proprietary plug so you can't switch them accidentally. All the computerized stuff will just let you know which part to replace with a very simple reader. Otherwise everything is replaced the same old way. With the exception of using metric tools.

Heck I've looked in the engine compartment of some new cars. The technology has refined so much that they are much simpler to work on than cars from the 80's and 90's. Those cars were a cluster f**k of wires, hoses and vacuum lines all tightly packed together. Requiring you to disassemble half the engine just to replace a power steering pump.

It's not like having to navigate a computer interface at home. You just plug in a scanner, press a button and get an error code you can look up in a book. Fancier models will tell you what the error code means.

Status
Not open for further replies.