News Intel's Attempt to Acquire SiFive for $2 Billion Fell Apart, Report Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
This is a straight up "good ol boys club" deal.

The CEO of SiFive is on the Intel board of directors.
Just like they forced this horrid "Workday" crap on all the Intel employees because the CEO of Workday was on the board.
I would have hoped Pat would be above this crap - but either he's not or he simply doesn't have the power to go against the board.

Disgusting.

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
This is a straight up "good ol boys club" deal.

The CEO of SiFive is on the Intel board of directors.
Just like they forced this horrid "Workday" crap on all the Intel employees because the CEO of Workday was on the board.
I would have hoped Pat would be above this crap - but either he's not or he simply doesn't have the power to go against the board.

Disgusting.

Did you miss where the deal did not go through? Also the CEO of SiFive is NOT on the Intel board... not sure where you got that info. He is a former Qualcomm board member if maybe that's what you're thinking?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
the companies could not agree [...] on how SiFive technologies could be used at Intel

If Intel doesn't yet know how to use SiFive's technology, then why are they buying SiFive? This smells fishy. It sound like Intel wants to buy SiFive only so that somebody else can't (AMD?). I'm expecting that once the AMD Xilinx merger is complete and the two are integrated, it won't be long before AMD will want acquire other technoligies, such as Risc-V . I think Intel might just be playing it's usual dirty game here...I mean, "thinking ahead"

If Intel doesn't yet know how to use SiFive's technology, then why are they buying SiFive? This smells fishy.
But they are not buying them for that reason, so how is it fishy?
It sound like Intel wants to buy SiFive only so that somebody else can't (AMD?).
Yeah because AMD has 2 bil lying around on top of all the money they need to design future products, support current ones and pay for wafers.
I doubt very much that AMD wants to go back to being in debt again.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah because AMD has 2 bil lying around on top of all the money they need to design future products, support current ones and pay for wafers.
I doubt very much that AMD wants to go back to being in debt again.
AMD wouldn't necessarily have to use cash. Their Xilinx deal is worth $35B, which AMD paid for entirely with stock.

That being said, I have no reason to think AMD wants to buy SiFive.

AMD wouldn't necessarily have to use cash. Their Xilinx deal is worth $35B, which AMD paid for entirely with stock.
Give away all your shares until your company isn't yours anymore...also not a very desirable prospect for AMD.
Want's maybe, having and ARM type CPU core isn't the worst thing you could have, but I do agree and don't see them doing it.

If Intel doesn't yet know how to use SiFive's technology, then why are they buying SiFive? This smells fishy. It sound like Intel wants to buy SiFive only so that somebody else can't (AMD?). I'm expecting that once the AMD Xilinx merger is complete and the two are integrated, it won't be long before AMD will want acquire other technoligies, such as Risc-V . I think Intel might just be playing it's usual dirty game here...I mean, "thinking ahead"

more like intel want to stop any company to create a RISC-V processor that can challenge x86 in the future. why this deal does not go through? probably SiFive did not like intel intention to hinder RISC-V advancement in computing world.

Reactions: washmc

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Give away all your shares until your company isn't yours anymore...also not a very desirable prospect for AMD.
The company is owned by the shareholders. Nobody currently owns a majority share. What does "until the company isn't yours anymore" even mean in this context? Are you aware that companies can simply create more shares (although this will usually result in a drop in the share price), as long as the current shareholders agree to it?

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
So how does that work? I have no idea.
AMD just tells every single shareholder what percentage of share they have to transfer over?
Buyouts and mergers are approved by the shareholders. Lisa Su doesn't get to just say we are buying X, the company proposes the deal to the shareholders, or the shareholders themselves propose a buyout deal if they have that kind of clout.

more like intel want to stop any company to create a RISC-V processor that can challenge x86 in the future. why this deal does not go through? probably SiFive did not like intel intention to hinder RISC-V advancement in computing world.
This is exactly what I was worried about and why I'm so glad it's not happening.

It's actually interesting you bring that up because, unlike the first commentor's claim, SiFive's CEO DOES have a relationship to Xilinx (former VP & GM), which could be exactly why Intel is scared and trying to buy them out, fearing their potential network connections will lead them into an AMD merger scenario, or at least a partnership too close for comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.