Intel's Broadwell-U Core i5-5200U And i7-5600U: The First Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so we see about 8-10% improvement clock for clock, to be expected. Now can we get the power numbers please? If they are not more than 30% improved for the same performance. Then I guess a node shrink was not as great as we thought it would be.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I wonder what kinda benchmarks we'd be seeing right now, had AMD not crapped itself somewhere along the lines and actually brought meaningful competition to the x86-64 game :\

The only significant competition is AMD bringing is to the mobile. They have solid products against Intel's Atom/Pentium/i3 both in CPU power and especially in GPU power. But that's about it.

Henk van dommelen

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
The test where you left out the 5200u, does make sense.
If the core-M @ 2,6ghz only is about 1% faster then the 4200U @ 1.6ghz. Then a 5200U running @ 2,5ghz should score about 5% lower in that test.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think his point is that most mobile i7s are practically identical to desktop i3s (same number of cores, threads and cache), albeit at lower clocks, however the i3, older manufacturing process or not, has a TDP of three and a half times the i7s in question. Therefore, the point is moot, really.

Only the U-designated chips are equivalent of desktop I3s.

cmi86

Distinguished
Not that this is an intel AMD thing but I have to at least give AMD a bit of credit for at least trying to innovate with new designs rather than just die shrink after die shrink after you guessed it, die shrink. Cmon intel where is the good stuff at ?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
People crying about Mobile i7 need to start looking at high end i7 laptops. Mine is a full blown quad core w/ hyperthreading. Holds boost clock at 3.2ghz. Sure has a bit less cache than the desktop version. Its plenty powerful. Certainly kicks the crap out of most desktop i3s.

Comparing a very low wattage laptop i7 to a desktop i3 is just stupid.

i7 mobile:
A lot of people assume all i7's have FOUR CORES which is not the case. I forget the differences between mobile i3, i5 and i7 CPU's but all of them have 2-core versions.

You can type in the exact CPU model with the word Intel to Google and can easily find the Intel site link showing the CPU specs including cores, threads (HT), Turbo frequency etc.

(It's also worth noting people complain about the "slow" improvement in CPU's when their graphics card is usually the bottleneck for gaming usage. Maybe rather than be annoyed with the "slow" improvement just be thankful there's no pressing need to build a new gaming rig?)

Power:
Intel's been for pro-active here but reducing power consumption is more than simply a die shrink. Adding in better ability to disable/reduce unused cores or even the ability to turn off most of the mobile device except the screen for static images are other ways to benefit battery life.

Yep, ark.intel.com is your friend. Regarding the mobile i3, i5, and i7 differences, all of the base models are 2C/4T. An i3 has a small L3 and no turbo mode. The i5 is the same but with a turbo. The i7 has a larger cache and higher freqs, both normal and turbo clocks.

The letter suffix gives a little more info. M is the basic mobile model ( though it looks like they're replacing M with H. ) The U chip is low power and Y is very low power use. These follow the same rules as the M, but the clocks will be much lower and the turbos won't be as high ( the i7 U and Y chips will still have a fairly high turbo. )

Any chip with a "Q" in its name has four physical cores and still adheres to the other general rules. Most i7 chips are also Q models, but not all.

This!

VERY important to note that Q designation.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
It's crazy how low the TDP is for the i7-5600u, only 15 watts but dual core 2.6GHZ base frequency! That compares with the just a 2GHZ base freq for the i7-4510u at the same TDP. Wonder what the regular voltage laptop chips will bring! I bet 6 cores will come by the time we hit 11nm, and very high clocked dual and quad cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.