Intel's Core Architecture vs AMD's Next Gen. Architecture

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
this is why I like anandtech, very thorough, very balanced.

Good post though, a lot of people can see the ACTUAL differences in cores.
sorry but I laughed at this statement of anandtech XD

in other hand, interesting that the core as more SSE 128bit units (3)

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare Barcelona to Nehalem, which by all accounts will be its competitor?

wasnt it the inversed?
P3 vs K7, P4 vs K8, Core vs Barcelona, Nehalem vs Shangai

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
comeone slim, you know I don't spend my entire life on forumz, I just happen to post a lot, I do have a life

life?.....
LIER!!!!

swb239dcfh1.jpg

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
sorry but I laughed at this statement of anandtech XD

in other hand, interesting that the core as more SSE 128bit units (3)

wasnt it the inversed?
P3 vs K7, P4 vs K8, Core vs Barcelona, Nehalem vs Shangai

But for Core arch, it can only do 2 128-bit SSE instructions in a cycle. :wink:

Source:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2748
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2939

Here are some of the differences between Intel's Core Architecture and AMD's next generation architecture (NGA) called K8L or K10, with the reference of AMD K8 architecture.

1. Processor manufacturing technology:
Core Arch.: 65nm, 45nm in 2007 H2, 8 metal layers
K8: 130nm SOI, 90nm SOI, 65nm SOI, 9 metal layers
NGA: 65nm SOI, 45nm in mid-2008, 11 metal layers

2. Cache system
Core Arch:
L1 cache: 32KB, 8-way, latency: 3 cycles
L2 cache: 2-4MB shared, 16-way, 256-bit (64GB/s at 2GHz), latency: 11-20 cycles
L3 cache: absent
K8:
L1 cache: 64KB data+64KB instruction, 2-way, latency: 3 cycles
L2 cache: 512KB, 16-way, 128-bit (32GB/s at 2GHz), latency: 11-20 cycles (90nm version)
L3 cache: absent
NGA:
L1 cache: 64KB data+64KB instruction, 2-way, latency: 3 cycles
L2 cache: 512KB, 16-way, 128-bit (32GB/s at 2GHz), latency: unknown
L3 cache: 2MB shared, 32-way, unknown width and latency

3. x86 decoding ability
Core Arch:
x86 decoders: 3 simple + 1 complex (the complex decoder can decode 2 simple codes in a pass)
Out-of-order execution buffer: 96 instructions
K8:
x86 decoders: 3 complex
Out-of-order execution buffer: 72 instructions
NGA:
x86 decoders: 3 complex
Out-of-order execution buffer: 72 instructions with improvements

4. ALU, FPU and SSE units
Core Arch:
ALU units: 3
Maximum dual-precision (64-bit) FP per cycle: 4
SSE units: 3 units, 128-bit
K8:
Maximum dual-precision FP per cycle: 3
SSE units: 2 units, 64-bit
NGA:
Maximum dual-precision FP per cycle: 3
SSE units: 2 units, 128-bit

5. Pre-fetch and other tune-ups
Core Arch:
Out-of-order loads: Present
Stack manager: Present
Pre-fetchers: 2 data, 1 instruction (to core), 2 pre-fetchers (to L2 cache)
Instruction fetch width: 24 byte per cycle
K8:
Out-of-order loads: Absent
Stack manager: Absent
Pre-fetchers: 1 data, 1 instruction (to L2 cache)
Instruction fetch width: 16 byte per cycle
NGA:
Out-of-order loads: Present
Stack manager: Present
Pre-fetchers: 1 data, 1 instruction (to L1 cache), 1 DRAM pre-fetcher (to dedicated buffer)
Instruction fetch width: 32 byte per cycle

6. Memory controller
Core Arch: absent
K8: 1x128-bit memory controller (1 operation per cycle)
NGA: 2x64-bit memory controller with NGMA (max 2 operations per cycle)

7. Power management
Core Arch: EIST (min. x6 multiplier), switch off transistor when not in use
K8: Cool'n'Quiet (min. x5 multiplier)
NGA: improved C'n'Q, two separate power planes for crossbar and cores, separate clocks for each core

While I know a lot about PC's I didnt study nerdology so I will let someone translate all of this.

TRANSLATION:
AMD K8/Athlon64/Opteron (aka Hammer) = FAST
INTEL Core 2 Duo = FASTER
AMD K10 = BUM FLUF (lol sorry guys, without real samples and real credible benchmarks, it really is bum fluf, but in saying that i hope it grows into something great - either we will get faster AMD's and cheaper Intels, or we might see AMD and ATI go down :()

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well, I dont know about you, but when I buy pheripherals, I always like to get the best out there so that way I wont have to worry later on on getting a new kb or new mouse.
Of course, I first check if there is money available and if that item is in sale or has some kind of instant savings or rebates. If it is not, then I wait til some discounts come out for it and then go and get it at Compusa.

since your case is kinda similar. I suggest you think very well about it. I think the G7 is the cheap version of the G15 right? Will that sattisfy your need for a new KB? is it comfortable enough as the G15? Do you really need those features in the G15 that the G7 doesnt have?

Most important... Will the wire on the KB's annoy you?

I hate that, freaking $80 keyboards with screen and sh*t but they still using the freakin cable

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
What are you gonna do now that CompUSA is basically closing up shop (they are closing over half their stores if you didn't see)?

Myself, I can't stand wired KBs/Mice anymore. I'm spoiled now. :D

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
What are you gonna do now that CompUSA is basically closing up shop (they are closing over half their stores if you didn't see)?

Myself, I can't stand wired KBs/Mice anymore. I'm spoiled now. :D

YES! I did read that, and Im happy of that because they freakin rop you off if you dont know about computers and buy something in there. But they were good when you needed that ATA cable or that heatsink for your old PC. Well the one here in Miami wont close so Im safe here.

And yes, Im really tire of the cable of my keyboard, my mouse is the only wireless thing hehe apart from my router.

Taco, sorry, I got confused with the Logitech® G11 Gaming Keyboard. Anyways, if you really like the mouse, get it. As you said, the freakin keyboard with the wire is VERY VERY VERY Annoying. Thats why I dont have one g15 hehehe. But for the mouse, I have a question. Which one is better? the G7 or the MX Revolution? I really like more how the MX Revolutions looks but the G7 is a gamers mouse, and thats what I am hehe. I couldnt find what is the maximum dpi of the MX Revolution. But for now I think the G7 is the winner since it has 2000dpi 8O

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, CompUsa is over priced, but you can't beat them when you need a part NOW and can't wait for the egg or someone to ship it. Plus their return plociy is/was great.

Though I get automatic SAME DAY shipping from the egg on almost everything. I live like 8 miles from one of their warehouses. Its actually pretty funny. I order, and often the item gets to my house hours before the email with the tracking number.

Ordered my Scythe Ninja at almost midnight, had it installed less than 48 hours later.

I've never got into gaming or specialty keyboard or mice. Though I do need to get new rechargeable batteries for my mouse. The current ones are pretty much toast.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Yes, the G7 looks pretty nice since Ill be gaming A LOT!

And hey, because of your tip, I have no keyboard now. You gonna have to send me your current one.