Intel's Core i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge Spotted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]Anyone else notice that the GPU listed in the device manager screenshot is an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6570"? That's weird for two reasons:1) I didn't know that card was available in any laptops yet.2) I thought that the brand name was being changed form ATI to AMD starting with the 6xxx series.[/citation]

Yeah still useless cause in realtime Turbo Overclock will give way below results of what true overclocking does and that's all cores overclocked all the time. For Laptops Turbo Overclock makes sense, but for desktop utter crap. Infact i suggest keeping CPU on desktop at full speed all the time.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]Anyone else notice that the GPU listed in the device manager screenshot is an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6570"? That's weird for two reasons:1) I didn't know that card was available in any laptops yet.2) I thought that the brand name was being changed form ATI to AMD starting with the 6xxx series.[/citation]

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Yup.For instance.i5 7501.2 Idle2.66 stock2.8 with ALL cores loaded as long as power and temperature are in check.2.8 with 3 cores loaded3.0 with 2 cores loaded3.2 with one core loadedOf course other apps can take an extra core and have a single core app get only 3.0, but its a FREE boost and you can disable it and just overclock the old fashioned way still or even use both to some extent(FSB + turbo multiplier).So much for only one core being overclocked huh?[/citation]

Yeah still useless cause in realtime Turbo Overclock will give way below results of what true overclocking does and that's all cores overclocked all the time. For Laptops Turbo Overclock makes sense, but for desktop utter crap. Infact i suggest keeping CPU on desktop at full speed all the time.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
With Sandy Bridge 'FSB' is locked so Intel can force Turbo Garbage. K series has unlocked multiplier but for what price? I have no idea why they have two sockets for the current i7 line and for the future Sandy Bridge. LGA1156 and LGA1366 sockets are about same price, and as far as CPU goes hell of better deal you can get with LGA1366 socket. Future Sandy Bridge is going to have LGA1155 and LGAXXXX versions. Intel just introduced LGA1156 and they are saying well you can throw that to garbage cause we have new motherboard with -1 pin. They have to be kidding me.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]cause of the US companies offshoring work to 3rd world countries to save money. Dont like that vote for people who will cut the capital gains and corporate taxes. That's ALWAYS stimulated growth in the economy because it makes doing business here CHEAPER.[/citation]
Labor and benefits costs way more than taxes ever do. Especially for large companies like intel who can lobby senators/reps to get their local, state and gov't taxes reduced to lower percentages than what small businesses and individuals pay. In their last quarter about 1/3 of their money went to material costs, another third to operating expenses (payroll, benefits, equipment etc). Only ~1/11th of revenues was lost to taxation (which was about 31% of EBIT). Intel saves far more by cutting employee and raw material costs than it ever does by shaving a few percentage points off of their tax rate. Intel manufactures in asia because they can get 1 month of work out of an employee there for the same amount it costs to pay for 1 day of work out of a US employee.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Yeah still useless cause in realtime Turbo Overclock will give way below results of what true overclocking does and that's all cores overclocked all the time. For Laptops Turbo Overclock makes sense, but for desktop utter crap. Infact i suggest keeping CPU on desktop at full speed all the time.[/citation]

"Utter crap" lol. You must be playing the fool here. No one is arguing that if you want the most performance then you go for a static overclock. But for those that don't need a constant high clock rate, turbo boost is a GREAT feature.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500-9.html

When I built and overclocked my computer, I kept referring to this article so that my processor was running as efficiently as possible. I won't be setting a faster static overclock until there is a game that my 750 can't handle. Until then, I will keep the slight overclock and turbo boost combo.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]cause of the US companies offshoring work to 3rd world countries to save money. Dont like that vote for people who will cut the capital gains and corporate taxes. That's ALWAYS stimulated growth in the economy because it makes doing business here CHEAPER.[/citation]
Yeah or stop giving companies that manufacture offshore breaks by excluding them from import tariffs. That way you can have your cake and eat it too by not having to vote republican to get companies to stop screwing over Americans.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]With Sandy Bridge 'FSB' is locked so Intel can force Turbo Garbage. K series has unlocked multiplier but for what price? I have no idea why they have two sockets for the current i7 line and for the future Sandy Bridge. LGA1156 and LGA1366 sockets are about same price, and as far as CPU goes hell of better deal you can get with LGA1366 socket. Future Sandy Bridge is going to have LGA1155 and LGAXXXX versions. Intel just introduced LGA1156 and they are saying well you can throw that to garbage cause we have new motherboard with -1 pin. They have to be kidding me.[/citation]
The base clock is not locked, just tied to all the bus frequencies, so by raising that, you are overclocking your USB, SATA etc. That won't work, of course.

And you complain about Intel sockets. I don't think you know about AMD! They had four incompatible sockets for K8, and some will tell you that the current processors are also K8, making that number six, although three of them are semi-compatible. Anyway, the chipset in an older board won't support a newer processor, so why complain? Better to have to get a newer board to make the CPU fit than fry it in an incompatible older MB with the same socket!

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Lots of folks comparing this mobile CPU to desktop models. If we put this back into perspective, the fastest mobile quad core of the previous generation is Core i7 940XM @ 2.13 GHz. So we have the low end mobile quad-core Sandy Bridge at almost the speed of the top enthusiast Nehalem mobile quad-core model. I think this is a good deal.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Everyone should remember that 2.0 Ghz was the clock rate of the OLD INTEL CORE i7 EXTREME. The fact that this is now in their medium-range CPU shows a lot of progress (since this is going to be a lot cheaper than the old Extreme processor). The fact that it'll go to 2.9 Ghz with all 4 cores on (with enough cooling) is great too! Keep in mind that the typical processor speed during heavy usage will probably be north of 2.5 Ghz (it just slows down to 2 Ghz if it's getting really hot or if the computer's not being used). Can't wait to see the Sandy Bridge extreme model

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]Yeah, because if the latest years showed us something it's that clock speed is the most important thing of all.[/citation]

Single threaded performance is what counts for system responsiveness unless you are doing a lot of things at once :)

GHZ is good.

G

[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]No you didn't...It is designed by the Intel lab in Israel.[/citation]

Sandy Bridge too? Was thinking only the "Core" technology were.

TNM

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
2ghz? It's a quad core in a laptop, what do you guys expect?
I look forward to see the battery life!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TNM[/nom]2ghz? It's a quad core in a laptop, what do you guys expect?I look forward to see the battery life![/citation]

I just hope the high end chips can have all four cores clocked way up for laptops that can handle the heat.!

Well, for all the policy makers out there, here's a little more info on the importing taxation policy , and , this is standard stuff all over the world, every country has a domestic law allowing you to send and receive stuff within your company without taxes being paid.... :) so if goods were being manufactured abroad, they'd be paying only the taxes to the local authority where the plants were located..... within the company there is no taxation so, when produced abroad, they can be shipped to any of the global office of the corporate as internal shipping..... :)
That's the main reason why stuff being produced abroad is such a hell of a lot cheaper than it being produced within our own countries..... since labor abroad is cheap, so are resources and plus taxation is minimal.....
How do you think a family of survives with 2 meals a day in India in about 150 USD? and less than a 100USD in China.....
This policy has been going on for donkey's years now, it's just a loophole that nearly every company with foreign branches uses to make money.....

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]Yeah, because if the latest years showed us something it's that clock speed is the most important thing of all.[/citation]
It is until software developers actually start writing their apps based on the number of cores each system has.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]No you didn't...It is designed by the Intel lab in Israel.[/citation]

Ah, but we made the fabrication process that enables this little gem here in Oregon.

ben1680

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I know for a fact that Intel put a block to distributor where there is proper law in place (where they can abuse the law and excert their power as they wish).
For example, here in Australia, their new Sandy Bridge chip are available already at almost the same time as Malaysia or Singapore or China, only to have Intel threaten distributor with hefty legal penalty (approx AU$100.000 fine). They have no choice but withdraw all the product from the market, awaiting Intel launch announcement on 9 January.

They have little control of the law in the country where the legal system is quite weak in term of acknowleding such thing as NDA or similar thing, hence early sell of their product.

Also one of the reason I'm hoping for AMD to lift their game and produce supoerior alternative like they did in the past so Intel cannot maintain this bad practice. Monopoly is always bad for consumer...

Lutfij

Titan
Dang it Intel...Why does Asia have it beofre US? We engineered it, shouldn't we have it first hand?

its a leaked product, besides, the US have third world countries to do all the test firing to see if things blow up. Its safer to see things blow up at a distance and take notes for errors :lol:

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm not too sure about the mobile processors, but the desktop versions will totally kick ass. I'm in for one i7-2600K when it comes out next week. That will overtake the i7-950 as best bang for your buck if the price is really $300 like everyone says it is. I'm really looking forward to what the integrated GPU can do.

Obviously the fence broke around the n00b compound and now they are galloping around loose posting silly comments :p..

If we put this back into perspective, the fastest mobile quad core of the previous generation is Core i7 940XM @ 2.13 GHz. So we have the low end mobile quad-core Sandy Bridge at almost the speed of the top enthusiast Nehalem mobile quad-core model. I think this is a good deal.

Me too. I'll wait for some reviews but this sounds good to me as I need a replacement lappy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS