Intel's Core i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Dang it Intel...Why does Asia have it beofre US? We engineered it, shouldn't we have it first hand?[/citation]

cause of the US companies offshoring work to 3rd world countries to save money. Dont like that vote for people who will cut the capital gains and corporate taxes. That's ALWAYS stimulated growth in the economy because it makes doing business here CHEAPER.

I understand the outsourcing, and couldn't really vote for the idiot polititians at all. They are all crazy.

Anyways. The Intel team in Hillsboro Oregon, should be the ones to have it first hand. They should be able to sample their work.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]2.0 ghz? Really? Lame. Hope they have better models in store for us.[/citation]

Yeah, because if the latest years showed us something it's that clock speed is the most important thing of all.

alienzander76

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Yay, even newer chips that cost a small fortune and don't increase performance substantially over 3 year old chipsets. Maybe it's got some useless feature that sounds cool like HD stream decoding improvements.. Yawn.. :-/

maloney

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]The Intel team in Hillsboro Oregon, should be the ones to have it first hand. They should be able to sample their work.[/citation]
I'm sure that they do sample first, especially in beta testing. But as we all know, the employee who voluntarily/involuntarily leaks info about something they have doesn't last long at the company.

[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]Yeah, because if the latest years showed us something it's that clock speed is the most important thing of all.[/citation]
Not to mention that many end users don't require the same enthusiast speeds and prices as edilee seems to. Let's all spend $500 on a processor to pull up google's search browser each day.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]cause of the US companies offshoring work to 3rd world countries to save money. Dont like that vote for people who will cut the capital gains and corporate taxes. That's ALWAYS stimulated growth in the economy because it makes doing business here CHEAPER.[/citation]

They use the tax cuts to buy new plants in the 3rd world... You need to tax imports. We will have a war with China in the next few decades, I would rather have an economical one...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]They use the tax cuts to buy new plants in the 3rd world... You need to tax imports. We will have a war with China in the next few decades, I would rather have an economical one...[/citation]

In that case they'll completely relocate outside the US rather than just outsource. And if you tax cheap imports from China, get ready to pay double the amount for just about anything.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]2.0 ghz? Really? Lame. Hope they have better models in store for us.[/citation]
If that processor beats a 4Ghz core i7 out now, I wouldn't mind a 2Ghz clock speed.

Processors need to lower their power consumption for laptops. Most people don't use the speed, and, personally, I would like a laptop to last about 24hrs without being plugged in.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]If that processor beats a 4Ghz core i7 out now, I wouldn't mind a 2Ghz clock speed.Processors need to lower their power consumption for laptops. Most people don't use the speed, and, personally, I would like a laptop to last about 24hrs without being plugged in.[/citation]
It won't, though. Intel hasn't had enough time since the i7 launch to develop new architecture combined with a gpu to beat a single-job processor. This thing's doing 2 jobs in one, and while the power savings, and efficiency will improve drastically, it will be another few years until it surpasses the current system.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Turbo technology is joke, it overclocks only one core -> pretty useless.[/citation]

I thought turbo technology had settings for overclocking multiple cores? It's just not clocked as high. For instance when three cores are active they are bumped down one multiplier below what the clocks read when two cores are active. Does that sound about right?

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Dang it Intel...Why does Asia have it beofre US? We engineered it, shouldn't we have it first hand?[/citation]
They make it available to everyone at the same time, the Chinese are just fist to get a product using it to market.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If that processor beats a 4Ghz core i7 out now, I wouldn't mind a 2Ghz clock speed.

In the tests I've done to compare a core 2 quad with an i5-750 at equal clock speeds, the i5 showed a 15% improvement in power. If they gain another 15% from the i5's to the sandinyourtoes processor then they should have much higher clock speeds. Well if they can turbo boost from 2.0 to 2.8 then that's a good start. They need some chips that will turbo boost from 2.8 to about 3.8 for power users.

I've owned a lot of computers, including 3 laptops, and the only one that wasn't fast enough is the new overclocked quad core I have at home, so I'll take all the cpu power they can give me.

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Turbo technology is joke, it overclocks only one core -> pretty useless.[/citation]
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I thought turbo technology had settings for overclocking multiple cores? It's just not clocked as high. For instance when three cores are active they are bumped down one multiplier below what the clocks read when two cores are active. Does that sound about right?[/citation]
Yup.

For instance.

i5 750
1.2 Idle
2.66 stock
2.8 with ALL cores loaded as long as power and temperature are in check.
2.8 with 3 cores loaded
3.0 with 2 cores loaded
3.2 with one core loaded

Of course other apps can take an extra core and have a single core app get only 3.0, but its a FREE boost and you can disable it and just overclock the old fashioned way still or even use both to some extent(FSB + turbo multiplier).

So much for only one core being overclocked huh?

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone else notice that the GPU listed in the device manager screenshot is an "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6570"? That's weird for two reasons:
1) I didn't know that card was available in any laptops yet.
2) I thought that the brand name was being changed from ATI to AMD starting with the 6xxx series.

[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]They make it available to everyone at the same time, the Chinese are just fist to get a product using it to market.[/citation]
That is my point. If it is avalable to china , It should be avalable to everyone. Why dose China have Priority over everyone else?

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Yup.For instance.i5 7501.2 Idle2.66 stock2.8 with ALL cores loaded as long as power and temperature are in check.2.8 with 3 cores loaded3.0 with 2 cores loaded3.2 with one core loadedOf course other apps can take an extra core and have a single core app get only 3.0, but its a FREE boost and you can disable it and just overclock the old fashioned way still or even use both to some extent(FSB + turbo multiplier).So much for only one core being overclocked huh?[/citation]

Ya I thought that was how it worked. I have a 750 with both a modest overclock and turbo boost enabled. I think the frequency range on mine is approximately 3.0 - 3.6 GHz depending on the number of cores being used. I think it's a pretty cool feature. Of course a lot of people will argue that a static overclock is better, but I just don't need a machine running at a constant 3.6 GHz or higher.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]That is my point. If it is avalable to china , It should be avalable to everyone. Why dose China have Priority over everyone else?[/citation]
They dont have priority, they are just faster at getting it to market.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
No you didn't...It is designed by the Intel lab in Israel.

Status
Not open for further replies.