Intel's Core i7-4770K Overclocked to 7.0 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

1st of all, the stock setting is designed to balance performance with average CPU life. Would you buy it a 7GHz stock if many of them died in 1 or 2 years? Secondly, This chip is likely a lucky flaw, and other chips of the same or other production batches range may be fast enough to be called i7-4770k but may have serious problems at this overclocked voltage.

From what I understand of technology, the stock clock speed is generally set to what most of the tested chips can reasonably handle. If the batch gets significantly better because of lessons learned/ higher skill & higher accuracy at the nano-meter level, then we get the slightly up-clocked 'tock' version. the 3500k to your 2500k, etc.

That, and the fact that liquid helium cooling is fairly expensive and labor intensive.

Still, it's amazing the progress that is made, even gradually. It just comes one step at a time. The more expertly made 4770k becomes the 5770k, that affords the equipement to make the 6770k, and in 2 years us enthusiasts like me perhaps have a worthy upgrade :). Some chip that wouldn't be possible without the steps before it. It's hard to design and produce a 7nm chip when you haven't had the experience with 14 and 11nm production.. nor refind the tools and methods and gradually overcome the practical barriers.

etc etc etc.. now i'm just talkin'

neways, I always look forward to upgrading.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
"Sadly, we can also question the screenshot, as the CPU-Z ID has been blurred out as well as a number of other things, so there is no way to retrace the post."
Well if there is one redacted picture of something on the internet it must me true.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Last I remember, there was a rumor or report that they were still using the poor paste. I remember seeing it in an article here...or maybe the main Haswell thread.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

Because of power and the fact that both Intel & AMD realized that performance goes up faster by increasing core count than by increasing frequency. Increasing frequency has diminishing returns in performance while dramatically increasing the power required

ayushde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
A last intel got rid of the cheap paste which it used in ivy. :D
Looking forward for an upgrade to haswell from my ancient q8400 in my older desktop :p

InvalidError

Titan

A 4770 can never become a 5770 since that involves a die shrink and a 5770 can never become a 6770 since that requires an architecture update. Neither of those are "luck of the draw" things.

What may change over time for a given architecture on a given process as both get refined between first-silicon and final-production is the distribution of chips that qualify for the 4570, 4670, 4770, etc. with no/S/T/U/R/K suffix.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I believe what i see, but what i see isn't very valuable. We have no idea if he attempted to play hard core games with it set that high. Secondly how many times did it crash??? What was used to cool it???, what was the longest session without crashing??? How hot did the chip actually get??? Until these questions are answered this doesn't have a whole lot of value.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I believe what i see, but what i see isn't very valuable. We have no idea if he attempted to play hard core games with it set that high. Secondly how many times did it crash??? What was used to cool it???, what was the longest session without crashing??? How hot did the chip actually get??? Until these questions are answered this doesn't have a whole lot of value.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Still far away from the world record... And I call voltage sensor failure, you just can't set that voltage in any motherboard anyway

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

7Ghz is still 7Ghz, regardless of stability. Besides, unless you had an extra arm or two, I doubt playing games is really much of a possibility in this situation. Value to the average consumer is moot, needless to say.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"csf60. Still far away from the world record... And I call voltage sensor failure, you just can't set that voltage in any motherboard anyway"

IT's only 1 Ghz away. And unlike AMD who turned off all but two cores, this was done with all the cores on.

nexians

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Isn't 4770k supposed to be 4 cores and 8 threads???? Why is CPUZ showing 4 cores and 4 threads!!! Sounds fake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.