Intel's Core i7-4770K Overclocked to 8.0 GHz; See Video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This will be my next upgrade from a 2600k, just hoping for a good OC of about 4.5 4.8 with it and about a 25% boost with cooler temps.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The fact that the video's description says 3770K and the video clearly shows, or at least is supposed to show, a 4770K makes me think that its definitely a fake. If it was legit you would think the person would make sure to have 4770K in the description.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
The person who faked this didn't do their homework very well.
2 cores, 2 threads? i7 4770k is 4 cores, 8 threads; or if you disable hyperthreading its 4 threads.

InvalidError

Titan

Many motherboards actually do allow on-the-fly FSB/BCLK frequency change using a Windows-based UI: on my P4P800-M, this was the only method to overclock it since the BIOS did not have any overclocking option; just had to find software that could access the Winbond clock generator over the SMBus to edit PLL register values. My old laptop used an Nvidia chipset and I could use NVTune to change the CPU's FSB clock from Windows too. Many motherboard manufacturers provide tuning software for Windows that do the same thing for many of their models.

Not sure if the Ks allow messing with the max multiplier between boots but SpeedStep definitely knocks the core multiplier up/down depending on load so the CPU is certainly capable of handling practically on-the-fly multiplier changes.

For memory and other multipliers though, I do not remember ever seeing an option to change those outside of BIOS.

InvalidError

Titan

Considering how Haswell has ~10X lower idle power than Ivy Bridge, I would not be too surprised if that enabled Haswell to remain at much lower core temperatures during such idle overclocking and enable some ridiculous idle overclocks... but then you are only proving that the chip can do no useful amount of work at ridiculously high clock rates, which is pointless.

Assuming those overclocks are legit, I bet they would instantaneously crash under load.

To me, a genuine overclock record should require passing a burn-in test with all chip features enabled. None of that core/thread/cache/etc. disabling silliness. An overclock is pointless if you cannot make it do any meaningful amount of work or the overclocked chip is so heavily crippled that it under-performs its fully-enabled stock-clocked state.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
and then the CPU died, Who really cares about that extreme crap anyways, I like to see maybe Crysis 3 or something running at 8Ghz for an hour, These benchmarks are pointless

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Do you guys really think its fake? Of course it's not the people doing this retarted overclock are using highly modified parts and are able to do anything they want with a good soldering iron and more knowledge than 99.9% of the AMD fan boys

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
to " notherdude , May 7, 2013 1:06 AM
That's nice but not even the space shuttle sound effects will make this as exciting as overclocking my old Celeron 300 up to 450 mhz.. "
So true, I remember my fist overclock, a Pentium MMX 133Mhz to an ashtouning... 166Mhz.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.