Intel's Core i7-4960X Exposed: CPU Die Soldered to the IHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the theory for why Intel used thermal grease and not solder on Haswell and Ivy Bridge, the one that said they couldn't be soldered because of the shrunken die size is now proven untrue.

No other explanation then Intel either was saving money or artificially gimping Haswell/IB or both.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
With the LGA 1155 Ivy-Bridge chips a handful of users would opt to remove the lid from their chips in order to get around Intel's decision to solder, though obviously at the cost of warranty.

Should be Intel's decision NOT to solder (or Intel's decision to use crappy TIM).

Possibly. It could also be that Intel needed extra time to devise a solder method for the smaller die. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm willing to give Intel the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong.

This does mean that Intel has no excuse to not solder normal Ivy Bridges now, though.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I think it's pretty clear now what Intel is doing, if it wasn't abundantly clear already. The whole point of the thermal compound on Ivy and Haswell isn't to pinch pennies or out of necessity as some have suggested. It's a way to further segment their desktop line-up by artificially limiting the overclocking potential of their LGA 1155 processors. This gives both Sandy and Ivy Bridge-E a sort of 'manufactured' advantage over Ivy and Haswell by offsetting any IPC disadvantage with additional overclocking headroom. It's a clever move on their end, it just sucks for the average enthusiast. Of course I got thumbed down to oblivion when Ivy Bridge first released for even suggesting that this might be the case. The prevailing theory at the time seemed to be that the engineers and scientists at Intel simply didn't know what the hell they were doing... lol.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
and i thought amd was cheap... intel is cheaper but in a bad way. naughty naughty naughty. so i guess they can use their unused tp's to grease up their own butt's now that they are back to soldering.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006

Actually, the problem isn't that they used the TIM (although soldering does improve the heat transfer slightly), the real problem is that there is a very tiny gap between the TIM and the IHS causing the heat transfer from TIM to the IHS to end up being radiative instead of conductive (radiative is the worst form of heat transfer). This has been proven a number of times from people that have de-lidded both IB and Haswell CPUs.

physical

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Being an engineering sample this doesn't really mean very much. IIRC the IB engineering samples were also soldered on.

De-lid a production chip and get back to me.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
a lot of people complained about them using TIM in Ivy_bridge, but only a few people that delidded actually saw temperature improvements from the forums that i scoured when i was interested.

not worth it unless your temps are seriously out of line. and if you're watercooling.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Remind me how you can safely rip off a soldered on heatsink from a flimsy piece of silicon.

Also, I read that using TIM is in order to reduce costs, not because the TIM process is much cheaper, but because the soldering process is easily botched and leads to more failures. The TIM process gives good enough performance at a better success rate. Also, I heard that the small gap between the heatspreader and die is good for big heavy heatsinks, as they tend to crush the die otherwise.

All of this I got from a Toms commenter who probably posted above me already

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Just a question though... unless otherwise this is Ag sintered or the die has a sintered TiNiAu (where both process are also very expensive), how does Intel manage the adhesion of solder to silicon? I think this is a hoax...

InvalidError

Titan

They can do copper deposition using the same process as normal metal layers, use a chemical plating step to apply tin to that copper and solder the IHS to that. This is basically the same thing that happens on the side where uBGA balls are attached.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well as Intel starts to release that AMD is less and less relevant. It will try to wring out every dime it can. Just wait. The bean counters are sitting around trying to work out how to make themselves richer. The question is if the shareholders will also get richer.

Status
Not open for further replies.